Sign in to follow this  
booklet

Lambert return

Well, standing on the precipice of relegation, I''d say it''s unravelled alright and it stems back to Lambert leaving and the Board appointing Hughton.

We''re both guessing about what went on, but my recollection of the Championship promo celebrations was Lambert saying he wanted to sign a 10 year contract. I take it for granted that it was an emotional statement rather than a real statement of intent, but I got the impression (and remember people hearing rumours at the time) that Lambert wanted to build something special at Norwich. I remember there was talk about him saying if the Board back him, he''ll get us into Europe.

Whatever.... I accept it''s all rumour and I also agree that the Board had responsibilities to make sure the club remained solvent. Equally, they had a responsibility to retain the clubs most important employee.

I agree that falling out with his Culverhouse doesn''t look good and I''ve thought for a while now that Lambert will resign in the summer. I would be surprised if he doesn''t jump before he''s pushed.

I recall McNally saying that they would do everything possible to keep our manager and senior players - that was at the end of our first premiership season.

As it turned out our version of everything possible was not enough.

We can only read between the lines but we did have a further season of relative financial stringency to come - we still had bank loans to repay. So possibly Lambert was told he could not have the funds he wanted. As Morty has said it is hard to critiscise the board for taking sound financial decisions.

Lambert will be out of a job before next season. He would not return here with McNalley in charge but someone has to carry the can for our relegation and it may be him, other than getting Lambert in he has not done anything to shout about

Let us critically examine the part played by Mc Nalley over the past 5 years. His master stroke was appointing Lambert and co and success followed .no one really knows the circumstances /reasons for Lamberts departure so no obvious blame can be placed upon Mc Nalley. Post Lambert Hughton is appointed seemed a shrewd move and in season 1 it worked. season 2 it fell apart big time. Hughton was allowed to spend serious cash on 2 strikers who never looked like fitting into the system employed by the manager, why buy them when a target man would have appeared to have been a better choice. The manager was playing dire tactics and it was not working and no decision was made to remove him or back him in January it should have been one or the other not neither. The reputation of McNalley is badly tarnished and will take a lot of rebuilding if he stays

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Let us critically examine the part played by Mc Nalley over the past 5 years. His master stroke was appointing Lambert and co and success followed .no one really knows the circumstances /reasons for Lamberts departure so no obvious blame can be placed upon Mc Nalley. Post Lambert Hughton is appointed seemed a shrewd move and in season 1 it worked. season 2 it fell apart big time. Hughton was allowed to spend serious cash on 2 strikers who never looked like fitting into the system employed by the manager, why buy them when a target man would have appeared to have been a better choice. The manager was playing dire tactics and it was not working and no decision was made to remove him or back him in January it should have been one or the other not neither. The reputation of McNalley is badly tarnished and will take a lot of rebuilding if he stays[/quote]So we are ignoring turning Norwich City into a well run business, paying off our debt, and establishing a Top flight academy?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]The reputation of McNalley is badly tarnished and will take a lot of rebuilding if he stays[/quote]As I posted earlier on another thread......."I''ve

seen this stated quite often on here but totally disagree. Consider

where we were when he joined (third division, over £20m in debt and

turnover of c£18m) compared with the prospect of starting next season in

the Championship (no debt and an estimated income of c£50m inc

parachute payments plus several £m for selling players). Hardly a sackable offence is it?Two

promotions, one relegation, debt wiped out and income in excess of £50m

compared with long term Championship teams like ITFC (total income £14m

last year and £82m debt).The original seven -year plan included

one relegation from the Prem (after one year) so a three year stay is

well beyond all expectations from just five years ago. If we do

go down (and I have not given up yet), we would start next season with a

new manager with money to spend and would be in a prime position for a

swift return. Calling for McNally''s head is just plain crazy."

Over the time of his tenure he has been successful, why Hughton didn''t go a lot sooner I don''t know,but I''m not sure McNally should carry the responsibility alone for that mistake though.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Over the time of his tenure he has been successful, why Hughton didn''t go a lot sooner I don''t know,but I''m not sure McNally should carry the responsibility alone for that mistake though.[/quote]
Sacking a manager would be a board decision, they''d have to vote on it. For all we know, McNally was willing to get rid of Hughton far earlier than we did but the rest of the board disagreed with him.

Rumours from a very good source at the club, (yes not Colneys bog cleaners, nephews pet hamster) is that Lamberts on his way to Caltic in the summer!

I wouldn''t want Lambert back cause I fear it wouldn''t work 2nd time around just like it didn''t with Mike Walker and anyway I don''t think he''d want to anyway!

Hes hardly set the world alight at Villa, a well established top flight club with much more resources than us!

Lambert got out of Norwich at right time cause he knew he''d taken us as far as he could. In fact had he stayed I reckoned we''d of done worse than what we did with the much maligned Hughton, afterall Villa did last season!