Sign in to follow this  
booklet

Lambert return

Regardless of which division we are in next season would you be open to a Lambert return?

I think it is likely that Villa will get rid of him at the end of the season and that his stock would have been damaged a bit by two fairly poor seasons.

We would need to rebuild and so would he.

Do you think he''d come back?

Jesus how many more of these pointless lambert returning posts are we going to see?

Not ever going to happen, he wouldn''t work with current board they wouldn''t work with him, he would never come back as it would mean him making the wrong move to villa and anyway a lot of fans would struggle to accept him back.

Not sure if I''d want him back anyway, second comings in football often end up going badly, time to move on!

If roster doesn''t go up with Wigan this year, I reckon we would be quite an attractive proposition for him, even if we went down (considering hopefully he''s as loyal as Lambert)

[quote user="Wiz"]No, he made his bed......let him rot on it![/quote]

Huzzah[Y]

An opertune thread I was just thinking exactly the same thing. I agree he should return immediately. One point of order he is the Messiah and should not be referred to as the name of the post title.

he shouldnt have been allowed to leave in the first place, mcnally ballsed that up as wellbut no we cant have him back, it never works, but id take culverhouse as boss anyday of the weekculverhouse, with phelan and adams

[quote user="mrs miggins"]If roster doesn''t go up with Wigan this year, I reckon we would be quite an attractive proposition for him, even if we went down (considering hopefully he''s as loyal as Lambert)[/quote]Why would he leave Wigan recent FA Cup winners and semi finalists to join Norwich ? would be a backwards step for him .Somebody on the Vital Norwich messageboard did post that they had it from a very reliable source we wanted Nigel Clough  and he would be announced straight after the Arsenal game ... rumours rumours rumours . Personally myself i think Lennon has been lined up for a long time , whether our relegation will stop that from happening is the million dollar question . As long as its not Malky for me , that would be the worst appointment possible and the one everybody is expecting .

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]Why would Eddie Howe leave Bournemouth to go to a club in the same division?[/quote]Eddie Howe may be a good fit for Bournemouth , he didnt fare too well in his stint at Burnley .

I don''t think a Lambert return is as stupid as some suggest. What once would have seemed impossible, could just happen.

There''s likely to be a change of ownership at Villa and whether that happens or not, Lambert''s future looks uncertain. And if he does leave, he isn''t going to walk into a big club in the Prem and he needs to rebuild his reputation

As for us, McNally indicated a couple of months ago that it wouldn''t just be the manager''s role that would be under threat if we''re relegated. If McNally''s thinking about leaving, then would Delia really overlook Lambert? Doubtful.

I agree it''s unlikely that Lambert will return, but it''s not as crazy a notion as it once was.

[quote user="iron_stan"]he shouldnt have been allowed to leave in the first place, mcnally ballsed that up as well

but no we cant have him back, it never works, but id take culverhouse as boss anyday of the week

culverhouse, with phelan and adams
[/quote]

He wanted to go. There was nothing that could have been done to stop him.

Hughton''s Norwich.....P71 W18 D22 L31 Pts 76Lambert''s Villa.............P73 W 19 D19 L35 Pts76It''s taken Lambert two more games to get the same points Hughton did. Why would anyone want him back?

Why do some people want him back?

Lambert''s Norwich..... P 142 W 70 D 35 L37 Win % 49.30

Oh and 2 promotions in consecutive years.

Personally, I''d go for Malky, but I understand why some want Lambert back.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Why do some people want him back?

Lambert''s Norwich..... P 142 W 70 D 35 L37 Win % 49.30

Oh and 2 promotions in consecutive years.

Personally, I''d go for Malky, but I understand why some want Lambert back.[/quote]A third of that being in the third tier of football though.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Morty - A third of that being in the third tier of football though.

Yes - but irrespective, that record is why some want Lambert back.[/quote]For me though it was a very special set of circumstances though, unlikely to be repeated.I don''t expect him to still be at Villa next season, given his mediocre record there.Makes you wonder if he has found his level.

Lambert return?

Well he will almost certainly get the push from Villa because the support has turned against him. We need a new manager so things are falling into place seemingly.

Personally, I''m not licking my lips at the prospect but it might work. It was a marriage made in Heaven for sure and it would be very, very interesting to have this set-up repeated.

This forum has cooked up a degree of bad feeling between  PL and McN but how much do we really know?

Not so sure that it will be the best idea in the World but I, for one, wouldn''t mind giving it a try if we end up in the Chumps.

P.S. I didn''t think Walker second time around was the major disaster the Board made it out to be ie by sacking the man.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]I don''t think a Lambert return is as stupid as some suggest. What once would have seemed impossible, could just happen.

There''s likely to be a change of ownership at Villa and whether that happens or not, Lambert''s future looks uncertain. And if he does leave, he isn''t going to walk into a big club in the Prem and he needs to rebuild his reputation

As for us, McNally indicated a couple of months ago that it wouldn''t just be the manager''s role that would be under threat if we''re relegated. If McNally''s thinking about leaving, then would Delia really overlook Lambert? Doubtful.

I agree it''s unlikely that Lambert will return, but it''s not as crazy a notion as it once was.[/quote]

A) don''t you think Delia was equally or even more hurt by Lambert leaving than any of the board? She''d never have him back

B) I had the impression it was Bowkett that fell out with Lambert the most. So it would mean him leaving as well as McNally. And then there''s the rest of the board.. They may all have bad blood with Lambert, not just McNally.

C) Lambert is far far far too proud to ever go back to something. It would highlight his failure at villa and be perceived as a backwards step. He may take the helm at a similar sized club to us, but it won''t be us.

Morty - I agree with you on the first bit. It was a unique set of circumstances which led to something very special, which is why the Board should never have let it unravel in the way that it did.

Having stumbled into something as special as it was, the Board should have moved heaven and earth to keep him here, to back his ambition and to back him financially, at least as much as they did Hughton.

Whether Lambert’s found his level or not, I’m not so sure. He’s obviously the master at motivating and deploying second rate players and turning them into a team of winners. The fact he couldn’t walk into a dressing room of over paid, underperforming prima donnas and turn them into a top 6 team is perhaps not surprising. But he’s smart and ambitious and has had difficult spells before in his managerial career (Livingston and Wycombe.) On both occasions he walked away, regrouped and came back stronger. I wouldn’t write him off by a long shot.

Lambert’s a ruthless son of a gun that’s for sure but we could do a lot worse than change some of the senior management and try and tempt him back. Just my opinion of course.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]It was a marriage made in Heaven for sure and it would be very, very interesting to have this set-up repeated[/quote]But it couldn''t be repeated Broady. Much of Lambert''s success was attributed to Culverhouse and Karsa and he has had a major fall-out with them, and his failure at Villa has tarnished his "Messiah" image.The board will also know should he be re-appointed, the fans would expect immediate success and a poor start would cause more unrest than there is now.It''s a complete non-starter for me.

MancCanary - who knows. Lambert''s spoken very highly of Delia since leaving. I don''t know which of the Board members fell out with Lambert but certainly Bowcott and given the legal action, I would have to assume McNally too. Who knows. Like I say, I''d go for Malky personally but I was just pointing out that 2 years ago I could never imagine circumstances where Lambert might come back, perhaps it''s no longer impossible.

Cumbria Canary - apparently to you, it''s a loud and resounding no. To others, it''s not. Get over it and move on.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]Morty - I agree with you on the first bit. It was a unique set of circumstances which led to something very special, which is why the Board should never have let it unravel in the way that it did.

Having stumbled into something as special as it was, the Board should have moved heaven and earth to keep him here, to back his ambition and to back him financially, at least as much as they did Hughton.

Whether Lambert’s found his level or not, I’m not so sure. He’s obviously the master at motivating and deploying second rate players and turning them into a team of winners. The fact he couldn’t walk into a dressing room of over paid, underperforming prima donnas and turn them into a top 6 team is perhaps not surprising. But he’s smart and ambitious and has had difficult spells before in his managerial career (Livingston and Wycombe.) On both occasions he walked away, regrouped and came back stronger. I wouldn’t write him off by a long shot.

Lambert’s a ruthless son of a gun that’s for sure but we could do a lot worse than change some of the senior management and try and tempt him back. Just my opinion of course.[/quote]How did the board let things unravel exactly?The way I see it he wanted a bigger club, and he left. I''m not sure what you would have wanted the board to do. I''m sure if they were in the position to back him financially enough at the time, they would have done.Perhaps the board thought it more important that we didn''t over extend ourselves, and that we paid off our debt. I would find it difficult to criticise them for that.I think the falling out between him and his backroom staff shows how much strain he is under, he knows he''s blown it at Villa.

Would Lambert come back to a club that he had to incept legal action against to get what he thought he was owed? With the same board in place?

I think you''ve got more chance of getting stuck by lightning.