Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Next years promotion push

So, as many are urging us to focus on next years promotion push, what would be our best move? First question to answer is who do we appoint as manager - so do we appoint Adams? A manager I feel was appointed with one eye upon helping the academy bear fruit. This may be as we are about to jetisson many first team players and a few free ones to replace them might be desirable, with Adams felt to be the man best positioned to do this. So - Adams or someone else?

Secondly, and this is very dependent on how many players have the option contractually to leave in the event of relegation, the playing staff. Gut the team, or keep our ''assets''. Whilst I was very keen for us to keep hold of players I feel are very good and better than relegation, it may also be the case that they arent as good as we thought. That said though, if we are about to drop a league, surely they would be good enough to excel at a lower level. We have three options. Play McNally''s usual hardball and sell off players but only at the right price, keeping unhappy players until the asking price is met. Keep unhappy players and refuse to allow any to leave with the hope that we bounce back straight away and take the financial hit. Panic at the thought of the financial burden and start a firesale and allow players to leave for less than we value them.

Take RvW as an example. Before he played for us, people felt he was worth £20m. Look at how Michu''s value has fluctuated. If we still believe a top class player is in there somewhere, it would be silly to let an asset potentially worth that kind of money go for his current market value, whatever that is. We''d be better keeping him if we can afford to, and hope he rediscovers his goalscoring form in the championship, which would improve his value again. Either that, or we do what QPR did with Remy, loan him out to get him off our books, and hope he repairs his reputation somewhere else, so we get our asset back, or a better player back.

So do we try to keep hold of the squad or do we cash in, knowing we''ll probably get less than we want? That said, when wolves went down, they were still able to demand silly money for their players

we wont be in a promotion push next seasonwe wont have the squad to do itwe will lose our best players, none of whom have been that good anyway, but our first choice players will all make good rotation options for other bottom half premier league teams, such as ruddy, howson, snodgrass, redmond, hooper, olsson, martin, hoolahan, fer and maybe even turner and bennett.even if the club has the money to keep them most of them wont want to stay if other clubs show an interest.this club is in the 5h1twe will do well to be mid table by the time the squad rebuilding has happened, i wont be surprised to see us in another relegation battle, the championship is harder to get out of than the premier league is to stay in

[quote user="iron_stan"]we wont be in a promotion push next seasonwe wont have the squad to do itwe will lose our best players, none of whom have been that good anyway, but our first choice players will all make good rotation options for other bottom half premier league teams, such as ruddy, howson, snodgrass, redmond, hooper, olsson, martin, hoolahan, fer and maybe even turner and bennett.even if the club has the money to keep them most of them wont want to stay if other clubs show an interest.this club is in the 5h1twe will do well to be mid table by the time the squad rebuilding has happened, i wont be surprised to see us in another relegation battle, the championship is harder to get out of than the premier league is to stay in[/quote]

Disagree. We''ll lose two or three but we''ll keep the core I believe.

I reckon snoddy, Fer and ruddy will leave. Ollsson will have interest too. Other than that we''ll be able to keep hold of the rest.

Becchio and Hooper will be dynamite, with Hoolahan just behind them.

Very few teams bounce straight back.

The team need to hit the ground running next season. High-time to make better use of pre-season, and really take it to the opposition whilst they''re not too sure about us.

Go into every game with the attitude of three points or bust, none of this ''happy with a point'' bollox.

Set the right tone from the get go, and take the division by the scruff of its neck.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Hoolahan and Pilkington are already as good as gone , neither wants to play for us .
[/quote]

They still want to collect their enormous pay cheque at the end of each month though.

Sickens me, especially as neither are that good at the top level.

How financially viable is aggressively holding onto our players though?

When Newcastle went down they came straight back up because they didnt jettison their team. As has been pointed out to me before, they had Mike Ashley subsidising the cost of this, which o course we dont have. - BUT, our players surely arent on what most of Newcastle''s players were on. I think our current team would walk the Championship with the right manager behind them. It owuld cost us money, but financially could we handle it? (This of course assumes we have the legal muscle to prevent players from leaving and they havent all got relegation release clauses)

I am afraid it is a total myth that any relegated team will ever ''walk the Championship''.

Supporters need to get real as far as that is concerned, and hopefully the players that remain do likewise.

Definitely shouldn''t be tempted to go with Adams. If we''re gonna get back up, we''ll need to do it next year and I don''t think giving the U18 coach the job is the answer. If we keep hold of Snodgrass I think we''ll have a real chance.

I have said it before with the right manager we will do very well next season and have the basis of a top squad at that level accepting that there will be a lot of departures

Next year will be a struggle our squad is simply not good enough for a tilt at the Championship. We will need a new CB to cover for Yobo/Turner who will be gone. Only players likely to interest Premier teams are Snoddy, Fer (loan because not impressed) and maybe Ruddy. Need a RB and a big striker who can operate as target man. Unlikely to be able to afford need to go shopping in lower leagues again. All the rest of the squad will probably be here next season.

I doubt anyone thinks we would walk the championship, but it does look like last year''s relegated sides will be in the play-offs; most of the sides who struggled had financial issues, so the portents aren''t horrendous.

I certainly don''t think there is that much to suggest we would ''struggle'', that really is negativity talking: even with a mass clear-out we would beat the buying power of most (for a couple of seasons) so ought to be able to get decent guys in.

Newcastle walked it - they were the model I was referring to. Most teams who go down have to make massive adjustments to their squad and really feel the financial impact of relegation. Our financial situation is probably healthier than most and I doubt our payroll will be the biggest ever to slump into the division below. I am asking the question - can we financially hold onto all of our players, because if we could, I think we could very well ''do a Newcastle'' (and no the irony that this was done with Hughton at the helm has not escaped me)

If there has ever been a squad of players that were ''too good to go down'' over the past decade, it was that Newcastle squad. One of the biggest contributions to their relegation was having the inexperienced Shearer at the helm.

Most of the players went on to bigger and better things - I can''t see that happening with Norwich''s current squad.

" Need a RB and a big striker who can operate as target man "

IMO we have that target man in Becchio, Alongside Hooper he should be able to provide plenty of firepower for the Championship. We certainly need a new RB and maybe CB, then the question is who links up play from midfield - Snodgrass (unlikely to be here), Hoolahan (possibly) or something completely different - like Redmond at the tip of a diamond ?

Sell: Ruddy, Snodgrass, Fer, RVW, Bassong, Pilkington and anyone else who doesn''t have the fight.Intergrate: Rudd as No.1, J. Murphy, McGeehan.In terms of signings, I''m not too sure. I think we''ll already have a decent squad, but obviously it would be nice to compliment it with a few top Championship signings (Deeney etc).I would do everything I could to try and keep Turner, and give him captaincy, but I expect he''ll get plenty of offers from the likes of Burnley.

With respect to everyones opinions, what proof is there that Murphy/s and Mcgeehan are anywhere near ready for the Championship mid table? Let alone a promotion push