Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The blame game

Hughton has taken most of the criticism for this season''s struggle.  Rightly so - he is responsible for the team.   Now he has gone, whether the timing was right or wrong, it seems that  now he is gone the focus has turned on McNally - one of the best CEO''s around.   No one is perfect, but if the murmurings on here turn into another bandwagon of  trying to find someone else to blame now Hughton''s gone, then those that do cause it might get what they want - and we could go from bad to worse.    

What if McNally got the idea he wasn''t wanted and went? Who will you blame then?  Delia and MJW?   Bowkett?  Fry?   What if they then got fed up and stepped down?    If you have to blame someone, who is left?  Who else is there? 

We need to see strong leaders running our club - we have had that - and it gave us the best three years we have had for a long time, perhaps ever.  So be careful what you wish for, because our club is still in the best position it has been in EVER.   Never have we been so financially secure.  Never have we been able to say we don''t have to sell our best players when big clubs come calling - but we are now.   We are simply still in the best position ever.  Even if we go down we are in the best position to regroup and be a force in the championship, even if we have to adjust the playing staff, salaries etc etc.  For that we should be shouting the praises of the board.   You can criticise them, but it would be madness imo to start demanding they go.  

And don''t forget that in McNally''s original seven year plan there was an allowance  for the possibility for one relegation.   It is a long term project - and always has been.  So be careful what you wish for.  Cut out the blame game stuff and demanding more heads on the block.  Whatever division we are in we need McNally - and DS/MJW.   They are the stability and strength we need.  If those three go, we will really be back to square one - and maybe even league one..................

[quote user="lake district canary"]Hughton has taken most of the criticism for this season''s struggle.  Rightly so - he is responsible for the team.   Now he has gone, whether the timing was right or wrong, it seems that  now he is gone the focus has turned on McNally - one of the best CEO''s around.   No one is perfect, but if the murmurings on here turn into another bandwagon of  trying to find someone else to blame now Hughton''s gone, then those that do cause it might get what they want - and we could go from bad to worse.    

What if McNally got the idea he wasn''t wanted and went? Who will you blame then?  Delia and MJW?   Bowkett?  Fry?   What if they then got fed up and stepped down?    If you have to blame someone, who is left?  Who else is there? 

We need to see strong leaders running our club - we have had that - and it gave us the best three years we have had for a long time, perhaps ever.  So be careful what you wish for, because our club is still in the best position it has been in EVER.   Never have we been so financially secure.  Never have we been able to say we don''t have to sell our best players when big clubs come calling - but we are now.   We are simply still in the best position ever.  Even if we go down we are in the best position to regroup and be a force in the championship, even if we have to adjust the playing staff, salaries etc etc.  For that we should be shouting the praises of the board.   You can criticise them, but it would be madness imo to start demanding they go.  

And don''t forget that in McNally''s original seven year plan there was an allowance  for the possibility for one relegation.   It is a long term project - and always has been.  So be careful what you wish for.  Cut out the blame game stuff and demanding more heads on the block.  Whatever division we are in we need McNally - and DS/MJW.   They are the stability and strength we need.  If those three go, we will really be back to square one - and maybe even league one..................

[/quote]

You''ve changed your tune.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]Personally I blame the people that have backed Hughton blindy failing to accept that he has his faults as a football manager...

That includes a percentage of the fans. [/quote]You do realise that fans opinion of a manager has very, very little to do with how long he stays in his job, don''t you?I would certainly hope that the board don''t listen to the majority of fans opinions expressed here.

[quote user="morty"]Lol, the irony.

You, of course, never change yours, eh Wiz?
[/quote]

Yeah mortia, but I''m a fully paid up member of TFFU.....The Flip Flop Union.....Lakey isn''t!

Whoever is to blame is now irrelevant we have 2 games left to try and stay up. If we do not then we rebuild and bounce back with lessons learnt I just hope we can keep some good players?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]Personally I blame the people that have backed Hughton blindy failing to accept that he has his faults as a football manager...

That includes a percentage of the fans. [/quote]You do realise that fans opinion of a manager has very, very little to do with how long he stays in his job, don''t you?I would certainly hope that the board don''t listen to the majority of fans opinions expressed here.

[/quote]So predictable. I did include the board in the people that i blamed did i not?

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="morty"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]Personally I blame the people that have backed Hughton blindy failing to accept that he has his faults as a football manager...

[/quote]So predictable. I did include the board in the people that i blamed did i not? [/quote]It has absolutely cock all to do with fans opinions.

For me, most of the blame lies with Hughton for failing to set up a team that could score enough goals and be enough of a threat at this level.

He was given time and money to sort out our attacking problems (apparent last season) and he made a right balls up of it.

This should have been realised in January and something should have been done about it. Either a new manager if they thought the players were good enough but needed new tactics or some new players for Hughton. Even a Kei Kamara style panic buy. He made the difference last season, so why did we not repeat the trick with another target man, something we''ve badly missed this year.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]You wouldnt be saying that because you backed Hughton until his last days would you?

No... surely not..[/quote]And I''m backing Adams too.Despite the fact he hasn''t taken a single point yet.Its called "support"

The strange thing is, Lakey. I am now reflecting and wondering how on earth Hughton got 32 points with this side?

Perhaps he was a genius after all.

The timing of his dismissal was ridiculous. It should have been months ago but I was saying it was too late with 10 or more games to go. He should have seen it out and taken the kudos or the humiliation................and then been sacked.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]For me, most of the blame lies with Hughton for failing to set up a team that could score enough goals and be enough of a threat at this level.

He was given time and money to sort out our attacking problems (apparent last season) and he made a right balls up of it.

This should have been realised in January and something should have been done about it. Either a new manager if they thought the players were good enough but needed new tactics or some new players for Hughton. Even a Kei Kamara style panic buy. He made the difference last season, so why did we not repeat the trick with another target man, something we''ve badly missed this year.[/quote]

I liked Kei Kamara.

Apparently he wasn''t good enough but what he did have was pace, the ability to play up front alone, physicality to occupy the defenders and a positive mentality. The best forwards have this plus talent.

We bought no other strikers with these attributes. Kamara would have been worth keeping.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The strange thing is, Lakey. I am now reflecting and wondering how on earth Hughton got 32 points with this side?

Perhaps he was a genius after all.

The timing of his dismissal was ridiculous. It should have been months ago but I was saying it was too late with 10 or more games to go. He should have seen it out and taken the kudos or the humiliation................and then been sacked.[/quote]

The squad was never as strong as we needed imo.  Injuries were unkind, meaning we have hardly ever been able to pick what a lot of us might think is the strongest eleven.   As with last season we have had Johnson and Snodgrass as almost ever presents - if E. Bennett had been fit we may have had more variety on the right.   How many times have we been able to play our best midfield (imo) of Fer, Tettey and Howson?   Even RVW was out for a quarter of a season - and Hooper too was out at the beginning.  The manager was responsible and had looked to run out of ideas, but it was always more than just a black and white scenario, imo.

The trick for us all now is to not even look at blame,understand just how fine the margins are at this level and to look forward, knowing that the club is in a much better position than many..... and for us all to believe that, should we go down, we will bounce straight back up again.   

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The strange thing is, Lakey. I am now reflecting and wondering how on earth Hughton got 32 points with this side? Perhaps he was a genius after all. The timing of his dismissal was ridiculous. It should have been months ago but I was saying it was too late with 10 or more games to go. He should have seen it out and taken the kudos or the humiliation................and then been sacked.[/quote]

The squad was never as strong as we needed imo.  Injuries were unkind, meaning we have hardly ever been able to pick what a lot of us might think is the strongest eleven.   As with last season we have had Johnson and Snodgrass as almost ever presents - if E. Bennett had been fit we may have had more variety on the right.   How many times have we been able to play our best midfield (imo) of Fer, Tettey and Howson?   Even RVW was out for a quarter of a season - and Hooper too was out at the beginning.  The manager was responsible and had looked to run out of ideas, but it was always more than just a black and white scenario, imo.

[/quote]

I agree regarding the midfield three, our best performances from a "footballing" point of view came with the combination of Fer, Howson and Tettey. Hughton didn''t have the opportunity to pick those three THAT often.

Adams has had the opportunity 3 times and hasn''t chosen to do so once. This surprises me.

[quote user="lake district canary"]  

And don''t forget that in McNally''s original seven year plan there was an allowance  for the possibility for one relegation.   It is a long term project - and always has been.  

[/quote]

As that relegation is looming large on the horizon Lakey where does that sit with Mr.McNally''s recent statement that ''relegation would be worse than death'' ?

And yet when I touted that the injuries and availability of players was a factor I was told it was just an excuse....

David McNally will not be driven out by anything anyone posts on here, mails to him, e-mails to him or tells him.

He is his own man, that''s why he is, and has been in senior management for many years, and he will make his own decision based on what he feels is right for him, and those that he serves.

One thing he will do is reflect on his mistakes, and endeavour to not make them again, of that I am sure.

I don''t feel he will chuck the towel in just yet regardless of any calls for his resignation - unless it comes from someone higher than him!

If we go down and then give it a real go next season and get back up, this season will be long forgotten. That''s how I see it.

If we languish down in the championship for a few years then it will not be.

As for Kamara. I don''t think he was "the answer" but I can certainly see where he''d have been useful this season. Them games where we needed to take the pressure off the back four by providing an outlet to hoof it clear to occasionally or to hold the ball in the opponents half to allow our mainly lethargic midfield to catch up and help out with attacks. He would have been damn useful. I think we thought there would be better out there to do this, but if Elmander was supposed to be that, I''d rather Kamara.

LDC.. I totally agree with all of this. We have to give the board the benefit of the doubt due to what they have achieved. If the worst happens and we get relegated this season, and again next, then clearly there will have to be serious questions asked about the senior management. But for me, they''re 2 promotions & 3 seasons of premiership football up.. compared to what we could quite easily have been putting up with for the past 5 seasons - ie championship football. That would not be unexpected following promotion from league 1. But we got much more than that, so we have to be thankful. Let''s see what the next season or 2 brings.