Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

The games that got us relegated

Hull (a) - one goal down & playing against 10 men for an hour there was never any intention to win the gameVilla (h) - the penalty, although based on what''s happened since, RVW would probably have missed it too.Cardiff (h) - couldn''t scoreSwansea (h) - Bassong being out jumped by a midgetSunderland (a) - could have had 2 more points if we''d have really wanted to & gone for itFulham (h) - hoodoo or no hoodoo, we should have beaten themCardiff (a) - didn''t convert enough of the chances we created when we were battering themW Ham (a) - they we''re on a dire run when we played themVilla (a) - one nil up & then completely fell apartSwansea (a) - didn''t turn upW Brom (h) - direFulham (a) - hoodoo or no hoodoo, we should have gotten something from that gameShame is, we only needed to pick up 4 or 5 extra points from these 12 games and we would have been ok. Not only that, we would have denied all these other relegation contenders points as well. 

By coincidence I was just a few minutes ago discussing this topic with another expat canary over here.........and I dont think its this amount of games and bad results that will get us relegated, because a side of our level will always have a significant amount of defeats and you need to narrow it down a little.

So, based on that, when you really drill down and seek out a couple of results that cost us points against a team or teams who we should have beaten.....then for me, it just has to be the two games against Cardiff City..............two games where we were by far the better side in both games over the 90 minutes against a side who are clearly the worst side in this league (although we could end up with that title yet), we gained just the one point when our performances should have won us six points, those 5 points were crucial and we should be kicking ourselves......well thats the problem as if RVW and Hooper tried to kick themselves during those two matches they would have and did miss I guess......and there is the problem.....its a very fine line...  

Oh yeah, I have been thinking stuff like that too, the last couple of weeks, but bottom line is and stays, we should have sacked our manager at Xmas. I reckon we would have had some better results with clueless gone!

Oh and that Fer ''goal'' against Cardiff at home, which the ref disallowed for no good reason.What wouldn''t we give for those two extra points now?

Fulham at home was where the rot relly started to set in until then we has a reasonably good record against the relegation candidates after then we have struggled to beat those around us.

But Hull was the starting point of realising Hughton was going to be rubbish, 2 defensive midfielders against newly promoted Tigers was crazy.

Of course it''s just as possible that we could have got less points if we made a change earlier. Who would have scored the goals to get us more?

I''ll add Stoke at home. Bassong''s lazy challenge to give away the pen cost us 2 points.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Of course it''s just as possible that we could have got less points if we made a change earlier. Who would have scored the goals to get us more?

[/quote]

This is, of course, as "true" as saying that we could/would have had more points - it''s conjecture.

What can''t be argued is that we couldn''t possibly have less points than we have now had we left Hughton in charge. The imponderable is that the goal difference could have been better or worse but as far as points are concerned, the change is backfiring so far, that seems a little unfair given the opposition but once Adams couldn''t muster a goal from us at Fulham, the writing was on the wall.

The reaction to the WBA defeat left no choice but we might, as fans, have been as well to wait until after the Arsenal game to throw our clappers at Hughton.

That of course remains to be seen. Survival is still possible, even if highly improbable.

agree about those matches listed.

We were unlucky in some - eg hit woodwork or inspired goalie like Cardiff''s Marshall - if one of those goes in, we''ve got 3 points.

But there were times when luck gave us a single point - like when Newcastle outplayed us at home.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I thought it was the win against West Ham that cost us relegation. HAH![/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

we scored a perectly legitimate goal at home to cardiff... we DID score..

what price those 2 points now??? 17th place and 34 points....