Sign in to follow this  
pete

Lack of goals

We all know the paucity of the goals from the strikers. But the return from the back four this season is just two Whiitaker and Bennett whereas last year it was at least 10. Bassong/Martin 3 each, Turner 2 Whittaker and Bennett. We have become largely ineffective from set peices which yeilded most goals from the defence another reason for our poor goals return.

True.  We have looked less threatening from set plays this year, which last year were a significant proportion of our goals.  And I think we''ve had fewer free kicks in attacking positions too (witness the stats for fouls committed on our forwards this year being many fewer than on GH in previous seasons).

I don''t know why we have been less effective this year at set pieces, but it has all added up to a worse overall performance and relegation now a virtual certainty.

pete,

I don''t know thw stats so I am guessing, but I suspect that we have had less corners this season and perhaps the delivery has not been as good?

I also recall Seb getting on the end of a few crosses but putting his header over the bar.