Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

Player manager

How about Grant Holt as our next player/manager with Culverhouse, Adams and Karsa as his assistants.

Would certainly get the respect from the players and be able to motivate. Club hero/legend and with Culverhouse''s experience and tactical knowledge could be a match made in heaven.

so we replace a manager with no top level experience with another one with no top level experience who cant even do it on the pitch anymore???

how about.. NO!

You hardly see any player managers these days, especially in the top two leagues. I cannot really think of any recent examples.

It''s a dated concept the demands of both jobs being too great.

Besides, I would never envisage GH as manager material. He lacks the necessary diplomacy, subtlety call it what you like but nah.

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]Ryan Giggs[/quote]So you''re comparing Ryan Giggs, who has been at Manchester United for his entire career, who has won countless trophies, and has been given the job until the rest of the season, to Grant Holt?Brilliant[Y]

I''d take him back as a player if we go down, but maybe at first if he wanted both, he''d have to be a player coach. Wouldn''t dream of giving him the job with no experience. Perhaps one day he will be a good manager but the next manager needs to be someone with experience.

Former player-managers have said to me that they found it very difficult to judge what is happening on the pitch when they themselves are playing. They have said how they watch the game back later and then realise that players who they substituted for playing badly were actually playing very well etc. They said that they find it easier to make the right decisions from the sidelines.