Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

It could have been worse

.......if, as seems likely, we are relegated and if we had gone ahead expanding the stadium to 35,000 seats, we would now be looking at horrendous debts and playing in a half empty stadium just like our poverty stricken neighbours. A prolonged Championship stay would probably have seen us in a worse position than we were in 2009. The board have been proven to be correct by putting these ideas on the back burner which means all income can be focused on rebuilding the team for a swift return to the Prem and not on paying for seats that won''t be needed now.

[quote user="lappinitup"].......if, as seems likely, we are relegated and if we had gone ahead expanding the stadium to 35,000 seats, we would now be looking at horrendous debts and playing in a half empty stadium just like our poverty stricken neighbours. A prolonged Championship stay would probably have seen us in a worse position than we were in 2009. The board have been proven to be correct by putting these ideas on the back burner which means all income can be focused on rebuilding the team for a swift return to the Prem and not on paying for seats that won''t be needed now.[/quote]

Are you saying only 17500 will turn up next season if/when we are playing championship football?

[quote user="lappinitup"].......if, as seems likely, we are relegated and if we had gone ahead expanding the stadium to 35,000 seats, we would now be looking at horrendous debts and playing in a half empty stadium just like our poverty stricken neighbours. A prolonged Championship stay would probably have seen us in a worse position than we were in 2009. The board have been proven to be correct by putting these ideas on the back burner which means all income can be focused on rebuilding the team for a swift return to the Prem and not on paying for seats that won''t be needed now.[/quote]At least they got that right.Shame they didn''t have the b*lls to replace the manager a lot earlier then the question of do we/don''t we expand the stadium maybe wouldn''t have been an issue at all.

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="lappinitup"].......if, as seems likely, we are relegated and if we had gone ahead expanding the stadium to 35,000 seats, we would now be looking at horrendous debts and playing in a half empty stadium just like our poverty stricken neighbours. A prolonged Championship stay would probably have seen us in a worse position than we were in 2009. The board have been proven to be correct by putting these ideas on the back burner which means all income can be focused on rebuilding the team for a swift return to the Prem and not on paying for seats that won''t be needed now.[/quote]

Are you saying only 17500 will turn up next season if/when we are playing championship football?[/quote]No. But it''s likely if all those extra seats were available, many people would choose the games they attended rather than buy season tickets, so I think we''d have been looking at crowds of around 22,000 (not nearly as many away fans) and diminishing each season we are in the Championship.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lharman7"][quote user="lappinitup"].......if, as seems likely, we are relegated and if we had gone ahead expanding the stadium to 35,000 seats, we would now be looking at horrendous debts and playing in a half empty stadium just like our poverty stricken neighbours. A prolonged Championship stay would probably have seen us in a worse position than we were in 2009. The board have been proven to be correct by putting these ideas on the back burner which means all income can be focused on rebuilding the team for a swift return to the Prem and not on paying for seats that won''t be needed now.[/quote]

Are you saying only 17500 will turn up next season if/when we are playing championship football?[/quote]No. But it''s likely if all those extra seats were available, many people would choose the games they attended rather than buy season tickets, so I think we''d have been looking at crowds of around 22,000 (not nearly as many away fans) and diminishing each season we are in the Championship.[/quote]

I see what you mean. It''s full of ifs and buts but I would think that enlarging the stadium to 30000 wouldn''t be a problem.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lappinitup"].......if, as seems likely, we are relegated and if we had gone ahead expanding the stadium to 35,000 seats, we would now be looking at horrendous debts and playing in a half empty stadium just like our poverty stricken neighbours. A prolonged Championship stay would probably have seen us in a worse position than we were in 2009.

The board have been proven to be correct by putting these ideas on the back burner which means all income can be focused on rebuilding the team for a swift return to the Prem and not on paying for seats that won''t be needed now.
[/quote]

At least they got that right.

Shame they didn''t have the b*lls to replace the manager a lot earlier then the question of do we/don''t we expand the stadium maybe wouldn''t have been an issue at all.
[/quote]

Yeah, the upturn in performances since the change has been marked....

The Board are getting a pounding in this thread and I think somewhat unfairly. In retrospect they made one major mistake, just one and that was giving Hughton too much credence for too  long. I have empathy for their dilemma as it was Houdini Hughton always pulling a result out to save his skin that delayed the decision. There were also the finances to consider ie. paying off three highly paid individuals with contract time on their side.

At least we will not be a Portsmouth, Leeds and a few others. The financial situation is healthy (no debt etc.) and this should help provide a springboard for a speedy return. As for the usual battering that Delia gets when things go awry (but never when the sun shines on the Carrot Patch) all I ask is would you prefer an anonymous individual with a shady business record and tightened purse strings or even a Vincent Tan or the Oystons bleeding the club dry or etc. etc? 

In sum, I have no wish to play the blame game, even though I have some anger towards the Board. as it is self-destructive. We should rally behind the Club and look at the positives and aspire to a speedy return as a unified force.

Lecture over.

[quote user="lharman7"]I see what you mean. It''s full of ifs and buts but I would think that enlarging the stadium to 30000 wouldn''t be a problem.[/quote]The talk was never about 30,000 but always about 35,000. This is what McNally said at the time........"Supporters will probably remember that we asked the UEA to complete a piece of work into whether stadium expansion was viable here. They concluded that it was; that we could take the capacity in Carrow Road up to circa 35,000. We would love to do that, and we would love to do that in the not too distant future, however seven or eight thousand extra seats could cost us up to £30m, and £30m at the moment would then have to come from the squad costs or the squad budget"It would have been a huge mistake to go ahead as many fans were urging the club to do, fortunately the board knew better.

Supporters

will probably remember that we asked the UEA to complete a piece of

work into whether stadium expansion was viable here. They concluded that

it was; that we could take the capacity in Carrow Road up to circa

35,000. We would love to do that, and we would love to do that in the

not too distant future, however seven or eight thousand extra seats

could cost us up to £30m, and £30m at the moment would then have to come

from the squad costs or the squad budgetRead more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/q-and-a-transcript-1048079.aspx#5KYhOhvsrwUJ1Vuj.99
Supporters

will probably remember that we asked the UEA to complete a piece of

work into whether stadium expansion was viable here. They concluded that

it was; that we could take the capacity in Carrow Road up to circa

35,000. We would love to do that, and we would love to do that in the

not too distant future, however seven or eight thousand extra seats

could cost us up to £30m, and £30m at the moment would then have to come

from the squad costs or the squad budgetRead more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/q-and-a-transcript-1048079.aspx#5KYhOhvsrwUJ1Vuj.99

Careful Broadstairs.. Last week I dared to suggest a complex idea such as simultaneously feeling sympathy for the board''s decision over Hughton, as well as anger for them not doing it sooner.. and was called (all in capitals too) a "F*cking Happy Clapping C*nt" by some sort of human-based creature who''d found a keyboard.

It''s safest to offer only one, sternly black and white opinion with no room for complex thought or consideration of how multiple factors can make a tough decision almost impossible to get right.

McNally was stating what the club "could" go up to. Not what they actually would.

The 30000 I stated was just my opinion on what Carrow Road should be upgraded to without any loss of bums on seats. Even in the championship!

[quote user="lharman7"]McNally was stating what the club "could" go up to. Not what they actually would.

The 30000 I stated was just my opinion on what Carrow Road should be upgraded to without any loss of bums on seats. Even in the championship![/quote]I understand it''s your opinion but the fact is, they were looking at 35,000 and my opinion is that had they gone ahead we would be in an even darker place right now.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

The Board are getting a pounding in this thread and I think somewhat unfairly. In retrospect they made one major mistake, just one and that was giving Hughton too much credence for too  long. I have empathy for their dilemma as it was Houdini Hughton always pulling a result out to save his skin that delayed the decision. There were also the finances to consider ie. paying off three highly paid individuals with contract time on their side.

[/quote]The Board deserve a pounding.All Boards make mistakes but what a mistake it was. I find it hard to believe that the only reasons they delayed his departure was because he kept pulling the rabbit out of the hat and it would have cost too much to fire him and his entourage. That''s not to say that a new permanent manager would''ve done that much better but he''d have to have been spectacularly bad to have been worse. It wouldn''t have cost that much more to release the management team earlier. In the end the Board ended up shelling out a large wedge of compensation anyway.Surely relying on all those '' get out of jail '' cards was pretty short-sighted ? It was because our overall form was so poor that we ended up with those '' last chance '' matches. With the writing on the wall why didn''t they act sooner ? Chris Hughton wasn''t going to sack himself.To be fair I suspect not all the Board were in unison regarding keeping Hughton as long as they did. You have to wonder if one or two of the more '' cuddly '' members vetoed an early departure leaving us to stagger along blindly to where we are now. The Board don''t come out of this fiasco very well at all.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lharman7"]McNally was stating what the club "could" go up to. Not what they actually would.

The 30000 I stated was just my opinion on what Carrow Road should be upgraded to without any loss of bums on seats. Even in the championship![/quote]I understand it''s your opinion but the fact is, they were looking at 35,000 and my opinion is that had they gone ahead we would be in an even darker place right now.[/quote]I think the point was that they were looking at around 34,000 or 35,000 because there was not an obvious way of increasing only to 30,000. There isn''t an infill that could be filled, or anything like that. The only practical enlargement would be an extra tier on one of the sides, and then to make that worthwhile it would have to add at least another 5,000 seats. That was the argument coming out of Carrow Road.