Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Quality squad, weak management

If your strikers don''t score you go down, simples. All the rest of it is teetering around the edges, why our strikers don''t score is another question.

It''s surely a combination of oppertunities, confidence and ability.

We have created very few oppertunities, goals have been hard to find and hence confidence has dropped, lack of confidence and perhaps some lack of ability then results in missed chances. It''s a vicious circle.

I think you can blame the style of play for the lack of oppertunities and all the rest flows from there, so yes the manager does have to carry a fair chunk of the blame. But, as the season progresses and we see what Adams can get out of the players you really must start to question whether ability, or lack of it, is a bigger factor than some of us had realised.

The acid test of how good the -layers are individually will come with the offers/bid for them after the season in what will be something of a fire sale. Ruddy could attract good offers, possibly Fer, with limited offers for Snodgrass Pilkington and Howson, and possibly Hoolahan. Only Ruddy is likely to be wanted by a high flying EPL side. The three loan players will doubtless return to their clubs reserve teams or benches.

We knew that Martin, Whittaker and Turner lack pace, apart from any other limitations. They are always vulnerable to pacy attackers. This is a large part of our defence. Add in an uncertain Bassong and it is not surprising that we have conceded so many goals.

There have been disappointments, quite apart from RvW and Hooper. Bassong seems to lost something, Fer clearly gave up, Redmond went backwards during the season.

Weak management? Probably. In retrospect we have wasted a lot of money on stop gap players who were not up to it, which must go down to the manager and lack of funds.

I think there is some truth there Salopian

If we do go down, and that''s still a big if, who would we lose to a prem club.

Very very few, most relegated teams have three or four stand out players who other clubs come after, can''t see that with us.

"Patches O''Hoolahan: Really Herman? Compare this squad to last seasons, or the season before and in terms of quality throughout the team, the current team are miles ahead. What has unfortunately happened, is that the team has been gutted of the heart and spirit that inspired us during the Lambert era."

This is correct. Go and look at the teamsheets for Lambert''s prem season.. it really does not match up on paper. But in spirit and desire, (and unfortunately confidence) it was streets ahead.

[quote user="City 2nd"]jaemae2 wrote the following post at 2014-04-28 9:56 AM:

There isn''t ANYONE that will help Hooper score in the PL. He''s utter b******s. One of, if not the worst PL striker this

Not quite, I would award that accolade to RVW with Elmander a close second, followed by your man Hooper!

With the lowest goal scored column in the EPL, it figures![/quote]

That''s hard to argue with, and I could certainly agree. All three have been extremely extremely extremely poor. Elmander isn''t a goal scorer and is past it. In a different context I honestly think he''s a better soccer player than RvW and Hooper, as a goal scorer, yeah, he''s probably worse.