Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

My main buy next season

A blooming target man.

Someone of the Iwan mould who can both get on the end of crosses to score headers and also win them speculative balls up field. Basically Holt the second (or even him!)

Whatever league we''re in, it''s apparent that one up front has been a disaster and we need someone up there to act as a pivot to allow more bodies to stream forward when we attack.

That for me is where the vast majority of our money should go, heck it might even get RVW scoring!

Perhaps Becchio is that man already?

Snoddy can, and will be class at Championship level if he stays. Redmond has time on his side but perhaps might be better retraining as a striker, using his pace and skill centerally.

We''ll have Bennett back as well who should be a quality addition to our squad at that level.

If we had someone better than the wet lettuce RVW to aim for, perhaps our crosses would be better, hence the target man.

I just think that if we had that outlet up top, we could have a plan B for when our passing game decided it wasn''t going to work that day.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Snoddy can, and will be class at Championship level if he stays. Redmond has time on his side but perhaps might be better retraining as a striker, using his pace and skill centerally.

We''ll have Bennett back as well who should be a quality addition to our squad at that level.

If we had someone better than the wet lettuce RVW to aim for, perhaps our crosses would be better, hence the target man.[/quote]

You''ve been watching a very different Snodgrass to me then! When have you seen him beat a man and then deliver a decent ball into the box? Or even deliver a decent early cross?

We used to talk of the spine as being important - keeper, CBs, CMs and strikers. These positions should be resolved at first.

Assuming that we shall be in the Championship, which now seems almost certain, we have two tasks :

1) Make sure that we don''t do a Wolves and go down a further division, which is a possibility if our better players are enticed away

2) Start building for the future - a manager who can find and develop younger players with pace, and assemble a squad for promotion after a couple of seasons which would be capable of sustaining a place in the Prem. (One or two bargains at reasonable price of established players who also wish to (re)build their careers would also help.)

I haven''t selected one area for buying, - I think that there will be so many. Of lower priority, I feel will be wingers. Even if Snoddy goes, we have Benno and Redders and the Murphy boys to come. I can see progress with most if not all of these, and the Championship should develop them.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Last season when he had Holty to aim for.[/quote]

Holt is gone! Move on!

While your at it, go watch a video of Hooper and RVW at there last clubs and tell me when we have played to either of the two''s strengths.

Snodgrass can not cross with his right peg and does not possess the pace of an out and out winger!

I''m happy to go with Bennett and Turner as our starting centre backs in the championship, perhaps get another in, maybe two if Bassong leaves.

Our midfield four just need a boot up the arse and some help from the strikers, what we desperately need is some aerial prowess up front. I''m sick of seeing yet another speculative cross drift into the arms of an opposition keeper or onto the head of a centre back. Time we relearnt how to win ugly.

What i''d give for a fully fit Dean Ashton back in our team!

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Snoddy can, and will be class at Championship level if he stays. Redmond has time on his side but perhaps might be better retraining as a striker, using his pace and skill centerally. We''ll have Bennett back as well who should be a quality addition to our squad at that level. If we had someone better than the wet lettuce RVW to aim for, perhaps our crosses would be better, hence the target man.[/quote] You''ve been watching a very different Snodgrass to me then! When have you seen him beat a man and then deliver a decent ball into the box? Or even deliver a decent early cross?[/quote]

Against Manchester United this weekend. Beat his man on the outside, crossed with his right foot, led to the disallowed "goal".

Next...........

[quote user="Paul''s Ferry"]

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Snoddy can, and will be class at Championship level if he stays. Redmond has time on his side but perhaps might be better retraining as a striker, using his pace and skill centerally. We''ll have Bennett back as well who should be a quality addition to our squad at that level. If we had someone better than the wet lettuce RVW to aim for, perhaps our crosses would be better, hence the target man.[/quote] You''ve been watching a very different Snodgrass to me then! When have you seen him beat a man and then deliver a decent ball into the box? Or even deliver a decent early cross?[/quote]

Against Manchester United this weekend. Beat his man on the outside, crossed with his right foot, led to the disallowed "goal".

Next...........

Well done! You picked one time when he did his job right as a winger. You get a gold star!

Next.......

If we keep Hooper, would Georgios Samaras be a good buy? Looking at everything that Hooper produced for Celtic, it seems as if this block knows how to find someone in a position to score!! Please tell me if I''m barking up a really wrong, huge tree!!!

nochain09 wrote the following post at 28/04/2014 1:24 PM:

If we keep Hooper, would Georgios Samaras be a good buy? Looking at everything that Hooper produced for Celtic, it seems as if this block knows how to find someone in a position to score!! Please tell me if I''m barking up a really wrong, huge tree!!!

Yes, you are barking up a really wrong, huge tree.

The reason Snodgrass looked a lot more productive with Holt on the pitch is his crosses aren''t very ''meaningful'', he usually just tries to hit the box. Holt attacks the ball, Ricky needs the ball to come to him as he has neither the mentality or physicality to challenge properly.

Off the top of my head I can''t think of many suitable to this role apart from Becchio and possibly Morris, if he''s ready. The targetman position is a receding one.

It''s all very well saying we have Becchio, but is he even likely to be here next year after the way he''s been treated?

There are players here who obviously feel they have been treated unfairly - Becchio, Hoolahan, Pilkington, Fox, Surman to name the obvious, and it''s not entirely clear, in fact it appears it isn''t the case for most, that the old manager was their only grievance.

These are all good championship players but the new manager, whoever that is, needs to be able to convince them to play for this club, when you can argue about contracts as much as you like but some of these players, for whatever reason are clearly looking to leave regardless of who is in charge...

[quote user="lake district canary"]My main buy next season - Gordon Bennett........heard his name mentioned quite a lot this season, he must be good.........[/quote]Do we need another club secretary? [:^)]