Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Manager shortlist

I actually don''t think Warnock would be as bad a shout as some people will make out, didn''t work out for him at Leeds but no manager has a spotless CV, and he has masses of championship experience and success in that division.

Not saying I want him, just saying it''s not a crazy idea.

I''m not sure I''m enthused by the idea of Mackay or Lennon, neither really strike me as the most obvious candidates other than their connections with the club.

Steve Clarke is a decent shout but no championship experience as a manager.

Or give a chance to a manager who''s hungry to prove himself, find another Lambert? It''s a risk but it paid off last time.

Karl Robinson has repeatedly done well on a shoestring at MK Dons but after failing to get them promoted maybe he would be up for a new challenge?

There are other managers doing decent jobs in League 1 on limited budgets as well, but none are inspiring choices.

You look at managers in the championship and they are either already promoted, doing well with their current clubs so would we draw them away? or failing to make an impact in a tough league.

I''m not trying to have a little ol norwich mentally but nicking other clubs managers is not always easy, unless they desperately want the job.

It''s a really tough decision for the board and in my mind far harder than replacing Lambert, whoever comes in needs to pick this club up, reshape the team (presumably a lot of in and outs) and then be successful in one of the worlds toughest leagues, good luck to them finding the right guy.

Robinson is a good shout, I also like Simon Grayson. Billy Davies is a good motivator but often his teams have fallen away at the end of a season.

Can''t see Malky or Adams being good enough.

I don''t think we will bounce back so let''s get the right person and give him time. If possible, I would take a massive gamble on someone like Bergkamp. Get the club to develop a style of play from the youth to the first team - as Ajax have done. Then players progression through the teams should be easier, and Bergkamp was a consummate pro.

[quote user="FCC"]Robinson is a good shout, I also like Simon Grayson. Billy Davies is a good motivator but often his teams have fallen away at the end of a season.

Can''t see Malky or Adams being good enough.

I don''t think we will bounce back so let''s get the right person and give him time. If possible, I would take a massive gamble on someone like Bergkamp. Get the club to develop a style of play from the youth to the first team - as Ajax have done. Then players progression through the teams should be easier, and Bergkamp was a consummate pro.[/quote]At least that would rule out expensive flights to away games [:D]

Lennon will end in disaster... been saying it for a while...He will fall out massively with the board and players and we will start the slide towards league one again as a result

Not a chance in hell Bergkamp will want to go to a team in the championship. He''d probably be my pick, and we''d maybe have a chance if we somehow miraculously stayed up but the lure of Sheffield Wednesday away will not be strong enough to pull him to Norfolk.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Lennon will end in disaster... been saying it for a while...He will fall out massively with the board and players and we will start the slide towards league one again as a result[/quote]Why Jas?He''s an in your face kinda manager and surely thats what Norwich have lacked for years... our managers are always "nice" maybe its about time we employed a stronger character???

I just can''t see Lennon switching Champions League for Championship. Surely he will hold out for the first round of Premiership dismissals - Burnley? Villa? Leicester? WBA? Sunderland? Playoff winner?

It will be Malky I''m sure.

My first choice of anyone who would realistically come to us is Tim Sherwood. The most important thing for us now is to get someone in who will play attacking football. I love Malky he''s my favourite Norwich player ever but after 2 years of Hughton''s utter dross his style of play is not what we need.

Why are some people basing their choices purely on passion? Look how well Peter Grant worked out- he was passionate but just not good enough as a manager. We need to look at managers who have quality, and preferably a proven track record in the Prem or Championship. Factor in a desire to see us play exciting football, then Steve Clarke is the outstanding candidate for me. That said I wouldn''t be unhappy if we had a punt on Karl Robinson- his MK Dons team play some good football, and I think he''ll go far in the game, whether its with us or someone else.

Also Tim Sherwood, really? Spurs supporting friends of mine, who are season ticket holders, have said that his tactics are simple and his formations are imbalanced. Why anyone would play Eriksen on the left when Spurs are crying out for a creative presence in the hole is beyond me. I would be deeply unhappy with him as manager. Ditto, Lennon. He could be a superb manager but I for one do not want to take a punt on someone who wins a mickey-mouse league each year, with a budget which dwarfs that of every other club. That for me is not a track record that inspires me.

Anybody but Malky , that appointment will scream little old Norwich and lack any ambition whatsoever , would rather stick with the bloke off the radio .

[quote user="Patches O Hoolahan"]Also Tim Sherwood, really? Spurs supporting friends of mine, who are season ticket holders, have said that his tactics are simple and his formations are imbalanced. Why anyone would play Eriksen on the left when Spurs are crying out for a creative presence in the hole is beyond me. I would be deeply unhappy with him as manager. Ditto, Lennon. He could be a superb manager but I for one do not want to take a punt on someone who wins a mickey-mouse league each year, with a budget which dwarfs that of every other club. That for me is not a track record that inspires me.[/quote]Spurs fans are idiots. He has the best points per game record of any Spurs manager in the Premier League, and they''ve scored 3 or more goals in 8 of his 20 games in charge. After 2 years of us scoring less than a goal a game, he would be a breath of fresh air.

He also recently said this:[quote]I don''t think anyone looks at youth enough in the English game and

it''s too easy to say these kids aren''t good enough. Well, actually there

are some good kids out there. What they need is an opportunity and for

someone to recognise what an opportunity is. To send a kid on when the

fourth official puts his board up and say, ''Change the game for me'' is

not an opportunity. They need to be given a chance to be poor then a

little bit better and then they become good.

And in the end your

homegrown players will always be your best players. Look at the

Gerrards, the Carraghers, the Nevilles and the like. Always the best

players for their clubs. They''re not going to be your Ronaldos,

flash-in-the-pan fantastic players who are going to leave after two or

three years … but I don''t think foreign managers give that opportunity

to young players.[/quote]

Sounds like he''d have the right idea of how to use our best youth crop in decades.

As important getting the right manager for this club is, ensuring that an effective coaching staff are installed is just as important.

A season under the guidance of Calderwood and Trollope has seen the players'' standards rapidly deteriorate to the point where they are all worse footballers than they were a year ago.

Redmond, particularly, was brimming with potential, but is now a blunt instrument that unfailingly makes the wrong choice of passing or shooting.

The coaching staff need to be carefully vetted rather than have this continuation of an ''old boys club'' with whichever manager is chosen.

Clubs can make appointments in one of six main ways :-1/ Get in someone very experienced with the aim of a quick promotion.2/ Go the Swansea route and get someone in to build a side to play in an attractive way whatever the weather.3/ Promote from within.4/ Get a former player in.5/ Get a former manager in.6/ A leftfield option.The first option could well involve upgrading manager within a year of promotion (a la Southampton). Managers with a good promotion record tend to be journeymen or not as good when they get up to the Premier League eg Warnock. Quite often they are someone with a point to prove eg Steve Bruce.The second avenue might take a few seasons as you can normally get more instant success in the Championship with a more direct game (eg Lambert and Warnock). Usually a younger innovative type and hence can be a bit hit and miss taking a chance on someone with relatively little experience eg Rosler.The third way is obviously where we are now with Adams and has the benefit of there being an increased chance of the manager better understanding the club.The former player route is hit and miss, Malky being the obvious candidate. Like promoting from within, usually a better knowledge of the club ethos and perhaps a bit more loyalty.The former manager route is perhaps even riskier, but it did work for Stoke and more recently Nigel Pearson at Leicester. Lambert is unlikely here, so we''re left with Worthy.The sixth option would be a dark horse, someone like Mark Robins, a current assistant or coach, a recently retired player, someone like a Keegan or Hoddle who hasn''t managed in years, or even a foreign manager who''s never managed in Britain like at Middlesborough. The most leftfield suggestion I can think of would be Mike Walker who broadly fits into all the other categories except having played for Norwich.

Yet again on this thread we have the ''Malky would be another Gunn'' garbage. This is based on absolutely no evidence - Malky has a pedigree in management that has actually seen him win the Champs title, which is precisely the kind of thing we need! Even without the obvious links to the club, he would be a very decent candidate and we could do a hell of a lot worse.

My left field option would be Gary Neville, if he wants a managers job.Very knowledgeable, has good contacts and would show some intent on the part of the Board.

I would like Nigel Clough from Sheffield Utd. Totally turned them round this season, from relegation zone to play off push and FA Cup semi final.

Brighton will not have the money, we''ll have a good splodge of parachute ££££££££££££££''sCloughie is another good shout too.

It will be Malky and he should do well. Proven a Championship level and his managerial CV equals that of Lamberts

I thought he''d only be there once. He''s still young and learning, and like I said, he''s had an excellent year at Sheffield.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Yet again on this thread we have the ''Malky would be another Gunn'' garbage. This is based on absolutely no evidence - Malky has a pedigree in management that has actually seen him win the Champs title, which is precisely the kind of thing we need! Even without the obvious links to the club, he would be a very decent candidate and we could do a hell of a lot worse.[/quote]Malky has a pedigree ? he took Cardiff up but they were knocking on the door for quite a few seasons , they then got shot ASAP much like a Mr Hughton and Newcastle . Most of the country has been waiting for us to give Malky the job ever since he got sacked by Cardiff , that in itself should tell you its the wrong choice .Put another dull as ditchwater manager in charge now and we will be Championship for years to come .

[quote user="splutcho"]I thought he''d only be there once. He''s still young and learning, and like I said, he''s had an excellent year at Sheffield.[/quote]

My apologies. Thought he had been doing the rounds for years.

Of course Malky has pedigree - he has had roes in coaching, took over Watford and did well on a shoestring, then went to Cardiff and took them to play-offs and a Wembley final before winning the title. They were doing pretty well this season before Mr Tan decided to fart about, much good it has done. Do you want more of a manager?

I''m not sure where he is ''dull as ditchwater'' either, this seems to be purely based on how they played at FCR. I''m sure he is more adventurous than that, but in any case winning a title/getting to a cup final (something we''ve not done in nearly 30 years) would be ok by most, however he plays.

The daft thing is that I''m relaxed on who I''d like as manager, but pointless sating of Malky and likening him to a ''Gunn-like'' appointment if it happened, really is just plain stupid. If we get relegated we could do a lot worse.

Mackay is by far the most obvious choice. Out of work, 4 seasons a Championship manager a league cup final, a play-off run and automatic promotion as champions. 
Lincoln mentioned Karl Robinson earlier in this thread which would be a very interesting appointment. MK Dons, despite what people think, don''t have a particularly large budget. Most of their squad is made up of free-transfers, loans and youth-players. He''s managed to guide them to the play-offs (twice) and has never finished outside the top 10. The most attractive thing about his appointment is the style of football his side play. I remember reading somewhere that they average around 100 more passes a game than the average league 1 side and, from the limited time I''ve seen MK Dons, I''ve been impressed by his demand for technically demanding, possession based football. Whilst he''s by no means as sure a bet as Malky for success he is definitely a young, forward thinking coach who I think could do a good job at Norwich.