Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Looking Ahead

Sadly it looks like relegation is now a certainty but we have got to look ahead.

This is a club that has had 3 seasons in the prem yet nobody expected us to last 1. Not that long ago we were in the 3rd tier and been thrashed by Colchester and Outplayed by Brentford.

Since then we have turned the corner rapidly and reached the prem well before planned and finally cleared all of our debts made by chase and sensibly not overspent so we won''t end up in administration like many who have been relegated before us.

Should we go down there is no reason why we should lose many of our chosen players if they are under contract unless they have release clauses. We need good guidance and with strength there is no reason why we should bounce back, maybe Adams isn''t ready to guide us yet perhaps he need a spell in the senior coaching staff 1st.

McNally shouldn''t go it''s thanks to him we are in the prem and maybe Hughton should have gone earlier but that''s a difficult call west ham were talking for their gaffers head and yet they chose not to sack him and they look safe now.

We have plenty to look ahead to in the next few years keep the faith.

As someone who has vociferously criticised the board in the past, this time I don''t think they should bear the primary burden. We can argue about when Hughton et al should have gone but there is also something to be said for the directors supporting the manager.

The blame lies essentially at the door of Hughton and his coaches and just as much with the players who have drastically underperformed this season with a few, but very few, exceptions. That there is no fight or passion is solely with the players. You may not agre with the tactics but you can still show passion and fight

Let''s get a manager with a record of getting teams out of the Championship (upwards of course) and certainly not Neil Adams who may well make a good manager in the future but is not one right now. Like it or not but men like Colin Wanker and Mick McCarthy are what we''ll need even if we have to dump them once they get us back to the Premiership.

Agree with the OP.Relegation will be far different than any we''ve previously experienced. We''re debt free, have a huge season ticket holder base and a big wad of parachute money to spend. I also can''t believe that the Chief Exec won''t have inserted a clause meaning hefty player pay cuts in the event of relegation which will ease the admittedly big wage bill considerably.The main concern will be in getting flops like RVW off the payroll but someone might fancy him and one or two others on loan if all else fails.The parachute money drops considerably after two years so if we''re going to go back up it needs to be sooner rather than later. I think we will and should we go down this season I''ll be very disappointed if we''re not in the top six this time next year.We might even manage to win a couple of games on the bounce too....

"The parachute money drops considerably after two years."

I thought it was £45m spread over three years ie. £15m each year.

Correct me if I''m wrong.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Agree with the OP.Relegation will be far different than any we''ve previously experienced. We''re debt free, have a huge season ticket holder base and a big wad of parachute money to spend. I also can''t believe that the Chief Exec won''t have inserted a clause meaning hefty player pay cuts in the event of relegation which will ease the admittedly big wage bill considerably.The main concern will be in getting flops like RVW off the payroll but someone might fancy him and one or two others on loan if all else fails.The parachute money drops considerably after two years so if we''re going to go back up it needs to be sooner rather than later. I think we will and should we go down this season I''ll be very disappointed if we''re not in the top six this time next year.We might even manage to win a couple of games on the bounce too....[/quote]

Who knows with the right boss in the championship RVW could score shed loads

I can''t see us emerging from the Championship at the first attempt, - I doubt whether our squad, shorn of a few who will be hunted by other teams in the EPL, will be good enough.

I hope that we go back to the original plan, - to consolidate by building up a better squad. We could be helped in this by the quality of the juniors emerging - the Murphy lads, Loza, Morris, etc. (It''s not clear if the squads slightly lower than these are anywhere near as good, so we may have to do some scouting.)

We are (external) debt free, we have a good training centre and a superb fan base. We need to establish a fuller scouting team, and get to local and foreign prospects as quickly as the "big boys". I think that this could be done.

Above all, we need to think long and hard about a new manager. I think that we need a younger manager, even if relatively inexperienced. We do not need a failed manager, - there are plenty of these. We need one who buys into the "patient building" theme, and one who ''grows'' with his squad.

This has been a disastrous season, whatever the cause(s), and will not be reversed with the present squad. There are signs of better days already in the youth. Now we need wise decisions at top and patience by all of us, and we could be back in the top flight with a better squad.

I just hope that we find out pretty quickly who has the attitude to play for us.

Snodgrass at that level will be one of the best in the league, as would Ruddy and I don''t have question marks over their attitude.

Johnson has the attitude, but I just question mark his quality. We need to be one of the two best teams in the championship and when the likes of Joey Barton are down there and not even sitting in the top two, question marks have to be raised if Johnson and Howson are the best we can offer.

Tettey remains a bit of an unknown quantity for me. Fer has all the ability to rip the championship a new one like Toure at Premiership level but it remains to be seen how his attitude will cope.

Say Cardiff and Fulham come down with us, we''d have them two, Wolves back up, Leeds under the new owner and four of QPR, Wigan, Derby, Brighton and Reading as our main challengers.

Then there''s the likes of Boro, much better under Karanka, Blackburn with probably the best striker at that level and Bolton who i was suprised to see still have that quality korean winger and Moritz who is also a very good player. Then there''s Forest under Pearce which could go either way.

It isn''t going to be easy in the slightest.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

"The parachute money drops considerably after two years."

I thought it was £45m spread over three years ie. £15m each year.

Correct me if I''m wrong.

[/quote]From what I understand it does drop after two years :Year 1 - £23mYear 2 - £18mYear 3 - £9mYear 4 - £9m