Sign in to follow this  
J15asp

The last two seasons have been a bore

On reflection, I haven''t enjoyed much of the last two seasons. I was never going to be a fan of Hughton and felt deflated when he was appointed. He lived up to my expectations with the very odd exception. I have to say the rise and rise under Mr Lambert was a truly exhilarating experience and the sort of excitement seen in the 3-2 win over Derby will live long in the memory. I would be struggling to name any games when I''ve felt truly excited by what I''ve seen on the pitch under Hughton''s reign and was pleased to see him finally go.Hopefully after a good overhaul of the team and a new manager we can start scoring and creating chances with an exciting brand of football which will get me looking forward to the next match instead of watching a team that just doesn''t work.

The main difference for me is that we had two men up fron under lambert, we''ve had one man, one little boy or two little boys up front under Hughton.

I don''t get this myth that playing two up front is too attacking. I see it being the opposite sometimes.

Say RVW starts yet again as the lone striker, what chance do we have of retaining the ball in the opponents half? None, so on the back foot we go again and the defence gets placed under yet more pressure until eventually it gives.

Teams like Chelsea can afford to have one up front as they have three behind who are exceptionally gifted and agile and behind that, they have two of the best midfielders for physicality (speed and strength) and composure (short passing, positioning) about. We do not have the players to perform such a formation effectively at this level hence the need to try and bypass the midfield sometimes and provide an outlet further up the field.

When Lambert left I must admit I thought Hughton was a wise choice.

He had done a good job at Newcastle, a club that epitomises the roller coaster of top football.

He had done a good job at Birmingham, a club with a very sinister majority shareholder and also one that spent as much time down as up,

His second game against QPR more or less showed me that I was wrong.

The thumping the week before had set the seal on his intentions and we have only shown sparse glimpses of the potential the squad he inherited had.

Some wise and arguably lucky buys coupled with the attacking intentions and the "keep going for 98 minutes" attitude could have helped a club with no debts on the horizon, to establish itself as one which ought to be able to hover around top 12.

But we have been treated to a continuous stream of dire, boring football that does not please the eye and raises the hackles at times.

I won''t bother me that we won''t be on the internet much next season. We haven''t been worth watching anyway.

NCFC is in the blood and nothing will ever stop me following and watching where possible.

But it is going to take a revolution again, just like the aftermath of the ColU game, for there to be any real belief that we aren''t in another of those periods when we will meander along in the Championship.

I hope the board and in particular, the alleged tough operator, McInally, grasp the nettle and we bounce right back.

The club is guaranteed parachute payments and we are stlll going to get 25K+ turn up at Carrow Road.

It ought not to be too difficult to get back to where we were 3 seasons ago but history does indicate otherwise.

I agree, there has been little to get excited about over the past two years. Pink Floyd’s lyric springs to mind: “Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way…”

Something had to change at the end of the 2013/4 season anyway - the on-field entertainment levels were so chronically low, the majority share-holders could hardly fail to notice could they?

Regarding leadership of the first team squad, whether to stick or twist must have been discussed at board meetings on a very regular basis since last October. For his vote I somehow doubt David McNally would have been in the ‘stick’ camp over these past few months…