Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

What about the fringe players?

If we go down what do people think will happen with the likes of Surman and Fox? Surman has had rave reviews for his performances at Bournemouth this season, and I believe still has another year on his contract. We know Fox can perform at Championship level with the right players around him in midfield, and we have an option to keep him for another year. Another question on Fox, given his lack of first-team opportunities this season and last, would be does he want to stay with us? Also if they do help us return to the Prem, would they fear being immediately cast aside in favour of the next Leroy Fer? In essence would they be appreciated more at another club?

An obvious point but what role these two and other fringe players will have will be determined by who we keep hold of, and what style/system the new manager wants to adopt. Both fitted nicely into our diamond formation under Lambert, but might struggle in other systems. I like both players and feel they could have a role to play but nostalgia may be clouding my judgement on that.

It would be sensible and advisable for us to put our trust in those 2 again for a championship push, but as you say, perhaps they''re not going to want to stay. Surman is much more likely than Fox though. Fox probably won''t want to play for us again.

On another point, whilst those 2 were clearly good in that season, our success was much more to do with our fluid attacking force.. which has been completely broken up and destroyed.

We''d be daft not to bring them back into the squad

I doubt they''d harbour resentment to a new manager

Both of them would have to be realistic that any promoted team tends to improve its first team dramatically so unless they can show they can cut it in the Prem - which seems unlikely - the same thing is likely to happen again.

Good point about our attack MC. Hoolahan is the only one to remain from that era, and I don''t expect him to be here at he start of next season. Hooper can do the business in the Championship, we know that from his time at Scunthorpe, as can Becchio, but again we run into issues of whether they would remain with us in the division below. I can''t see a Premier League team taking either of them off our hands, so I suppose we are stuck with each other to some degree. I imagine RvW will leave for a European team, and Elmander will return to Turkey. Hopefully the new manager can forge a successful attack from those that remain, and perhaps bring in a new striker or two to supplement things.

I actually don''t think RVW will leave to be honest. He''s on a long contract and it is unlikely anyone will take a gamble on him. I think a new manager will come in, realise he''s pants on his own up front and try and get a big bruiser in for him and Hooper to feed off. Not some show pony like Elmander who only tries when a new contract is at stake.

Yeah when you look at it, we have a proven Championship strikeforce in Becchio and Hooper. Throw in a big, experienced pro like Holt and a creative player like Hoolahan, and perhaps even Ricky will find his feet if he''s not sold, and we have the potential, if well managed, to do the business next season.

It will really irritate me though if whoever the manager is allows Becchio to leave. If ever there was a time to get our money''s worth from him, it''s if we are in the Championship.

I just wonder if the fringe players who have done well in the championship before will have the desire and fitness to do well again. Add to that the Championship will have evolved a bit in the last couple of years, subtely but enough to make a difference. If not:

Ruddy - League winner

Martin - League winner

Turner - Promoted with Hull

Bennett - Promoted from League 1

Olsson - no promotion but easily the best LB in that league next year

Johnson - Promoted from League 1

Fox - League winner

Surman - League Winner

Redmond - Young POTS and playoffs

Snodgrass - POTS in Champ and Promoted from League 1

Howson - promoted from League 1

Hoolahan - league winner

Pilkington - promoted from League 1

Bennett - promoted from League 1

Becchio - Promoted from League 1

Hooper - top scorer in the championship

I might as well bet my house on an instant return...

For the little its worth, I''d like to see RvW stay if we go down. The optimist in me thinks he''d score a hatful in the Championship, and we''d have a confident, quality player on our hands. Mind you I thought he was going to be superb this season so what do I know!

At least there is some consolation in the thought of our potential strikeforce should we be relegated. Becchio, Hooper, maybe RvW and a big experienced striker alongside as Jimmy and MC suggest sounds fairly potent to me. Mind you there is plenty left to happen before the start of next season...

I honestly believe you need Championship players to win the Championship.

I don''t think we should keep the ones we have brought in lately. Including loanees I would rid us, contracts allowing, of Bassong, Yobo, Turner, Garrido, Guitierrez, Fer, Tettey, RVW as a minimum.

I would try and get good money for Ruddy and Snodgrass.

Some of our players such as Surman were good under Lambert but not Hughton. I think maybe with the right manager we could give them another chance along with the undoubtedly talented youngster we have.

We will be relegated with money and no debts. We have the opportunity to take a season out if needed and blood some of our youngsters without always having to worry about the result.

If it takes another year then so be it.

Jimmy I think its a certainty someone will come in for RVW. One poor season hasn''t ruined him. Its ruined him in our eyes, but not to qualified coaches and scouts who are looking purely at his ability and wether or not he can fit in their team. Because he does clearly have a lot of ability, and desire and I even think he could do ok in the PL, not great but could do a job.

As for the fringe players, it will depend what first team players we have to let go.I hope Surman comes back, I think he''s a very talented player. Not the strongest, or quickest but when he, Fox and Hoolahan (And Martin in the Champ) played together we had some great movements, even in the Prem. Still remember Wolves away, the first half hour, really well because of the fantastic football we played. And Surman was the key. Fox will be decent in the Champ, but if Surman does come back and the only CM to leave is Fer then he will still be struggling to get near the team.

i think rvw will go , i can see him going out on a season loan abroad. i would like to see us sign stevie may from st johnstone as a replacment.

As I''ve said on other threads, I''m pretty sure Fox''s bags are packed and infact his family might have already moved away - with him just waiting to see out the season.

Having said that, if a new manager wanted him here he''s not going to get a better/bigger club than Norwich to play for.

Can Surman come back? I think he''s an brilliant footballer. Excellent technique and a great understanding of the finer aspects of the game. 

Surman is a player who can unlock a defence,is tidy on the ball and scores goals. For all his weaknesses at premier league level such as not being strong enough defensively at championship level what''s not to like?

Thinking on this a little more, at Championship level Fox and Surman could provide the sort of service to strikers like RvW and Hooper that we have been missing for much of the season i.e. slide rule passes and through balls for them to run onto rather than a barrage of crosses and long balls when the striker has their back to goal.

If the new manager were to institute a high tempo pressing game, that might mask some of the pair''s defensive frailties, assuming they have the fitness to participate in such a strategy.