Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

Roberto Di Matteo

Has to be the NO 1 candidate. 48% win ratio with West Brom including promotion to the premier league. 52% win ratio with MK Dons and 58% win ratio with Chelsea not including FA cup winners and Champions League winners. Cannot think of a better option at present who is a realistic target.

I would''ve thought Malky would be odds on favourite. Did well at Watford, got Cardiff promoted. I hate to say it, but when we go down, if we can''t get Rosler, then Malky would be my choice to be the one who will get us back up again

He''s also getting paid around 100k a week by Chelsea so why will he jump in to a championship management role and earn a quarter of that at most?

Also he''s a very poor manager, negative beyond belief.

[quote user="ellis206"]

He''s also getting paid around 100k a week by Chelsea so why will he jump in to a championship management role and earn a quarter of that at most?

[/quote]

Believe his compensation finishes this summer. If we get relegated it''ll be Malky 100%. Stay up and it''ll be Lennon

Things can change quickly in football but at the moment Malky would not be top or near the top of the club''s list.

[quote user="ellis206"]

[/quote]Yes his compensation period ends in the summer, after which it is widely reported he will be looking to find a new job.I have to say his win ratio at West Brom does include the period he had a vastly superior squad in a lower league (as did Hughton at Newcastle), and at Chelsea he was very lucky to be given a squad with huge potential who wanted to rally around ''their man''. That said, if we can keep hold of a few big names when we go down perhaps he could do a good job with his previous record in the same circumstances. And the previous manager we had with a Champions League win didn''t do too badly did he?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I would''ve thought Malky would be odds on favourite. Did well at Watford, got Cardiff promoted. I hate to say it, but when we go down, if we can''t get Rosler, then Malky would be my choice to be the one who will get us back up again[/quote]

Very much this, I can''t see why people don''t want him. If not him, Di Matteo is a good option.

I hope the names mentioned are just supporters ideas and not the boards.

It is time to take the initiative and not just follow the old routine of another sacked manager.

I get fed up with hearing the words "experienced" and "necessary astuteness".

I believe it takes the ability to motivate, the spotting of talent, the nous to pick the right mix of motivated talent and a bit of luck.

We want someone who hasn''t been in the Prem before. Someone with fresh, attacking ideas and no fear.

The names conjured up at the moment don''t fit the bill in my opinion.

If you said Carragher or Neville, then I would think we were looking in the right direction at least.

Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 29/04/2014 2:41 PM:

(about Malky):Very much this, I can''t see why people don''t want him.

---------------------------------

The reason why many do not want him is because of the negative tactics he plays, which is fair enough. For me, it would be a smart move because he''ll get us up in the first season or the next and may keep you in the prem for the first season, yet what then, are we going to improve under him? I think that would be a question for when we get there. For me, I think its worth getting in Malky if Rosler for example won''t come here (not that i''m CEO or anything) for example.

But Di Matteo, just the same question as Colin, Sherwood, Hoddle, - just why would you

keelansgrandad wrote the following post at 29/04/2014 2:56 PM:If you said Carragher or Neville, then I would think we were looking in the right direction at least.

------------------------------------

Right so you''re slating the people that want someone with at least a bit of experience, and then you suggest Carragher and Neville. Perhaps Jeff Sterling or Merson, Jamie Rednapp as their assistants.

Why would you want a nobody for a team looking to get straight back up to the premier league?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 29/04/2014 2:41 PM:

(about Malky):Very much this, I can''t see why people don''t want him.

---------------------------------

The reason why many do not want him is because of the negative tactics he plays, which is fair enough. For me, it would be a smart move because he''ll get us up in the first season or the next and may keep you in the prem for the first season, yet what then, are we going to improve under him? I think that would be a question for when we get there. For me, I think its worth getting in Malky if Rosler for example won''t come here (not that i''m CEO or anything) for example.

But Di Matteo, just the same question as Colin, Sherwood, Hoddle, - just why would you[/quote]
Why are we so obsessed with the Prem? I would rather see us play entertaining footy in the Championship than the negative crap we''ve watched for last two years. Obviously ideally, we''d play attractive, entertaining footy in the Prem, but if it''s a choice of one or the other, I''ll have the football back please over the Prem.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]keelansgrandad wrote the following post at 29/04/2014 2:56 PM:If you said Carragher or Neville, then I would think we were looking in the right direction at least.

Right so you''re slating the people that want someone with at least a bit of experience, and then you suggest Carragher and Neville. Perhaps Jeff Sterling or Merson, Jamie Rednapp as their assistants.

Why would you want a nobody for a team looking to get straight back up to the premier league?[/quote]

Not slating anyone. I don''t do slating.

I was just airing my thoughts on the OP. LIke it or not, and there is a great deal I don''t, football has changed and we need people who are up to date, fresh thinkers but above all, as in the case of the two I mentioned, passionate people fresh out of the game and not just going to copy 4-5-1 because everyone is doing it or buying foreigners just because everybody else is doing it.

And do you honestly think that people like Carragher and Neville are nobodies and have nothing to offer?

[quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="mrs miggins"]keelansgrandad wrote the following post at 29/04/2014 2:56 PM:If you said Carragher or Neville, then I would think we were looking in the right direction at least.

Why would you want a nobody for a team looking to get straight back up to the premier league?[/quote]

Not slating anyone. I don''t do slating.

I was just airing my thoughts on the OP. LIke it or not, and there is a great deal I don''t, football has changed and we need people who are up to date, fresh thinkers but above all, as in the case of the two I mentioned, passionate people fresh out of the game and not just going to copy 4-5-1 because everyone is doing it or buying foreigners just because everybody else is doing it.

And do you honestly think that people like Carragher and Neville are nobodies and have nothing to offer?[/quote]Neville wouldn''t want the role I''m sure but he''s been part of the England set-up for several years now and appears to be a well respected player with a full selection of coaching badges. He''d have as good a theoretical chance as anyone. It was Gary himself on Sky Sports yesterday pointing out that there are no guarantees with management whether you get an experienced or inexperienced manager in at the club. As we''ve found with Mike Walker and Glenn Roeder, levels of experience don''t necessarily guarantee success or otherwise.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Nobody will get us straight back up , this club will be in the Championship for many years to come .[/quote]

^^^^^ this ^^^^^

Someone facing the true reality. Cause that''s exactly what''s gonna happen

I too feel that experience can be overrated somewhat. Three of our most successful managers, Brown, Stringer and Walker were rookies after all. Perhaps the game has changed a bit since those days and the rarefied atmosphere of the Premier League demands instant acclimatisation, but I doubt it. It is stating the obvious to say that everybody has to start somewhere.

Di Matteo is a good shout, but somehow doesn''t seem the right fit in my head.

I''m strongly coming down in favour of Malky, although I had been initially been put off the idea by negative stuff about him being in the Hughton defensive style. This too, like the over-valuation of experience might well be a myth. He did well at Watford and at Cardiff, where he had limited resources and got the best out of what he had.

He sure wasn''t defensive when charging forward in the yellow shirt and heading all those goals from corner kicks. We know the man''s work ethic from first hand experience and he would seem to have carried his inspirational  characteristics from the playing field to the managerial seat. He''s made quite a name for himself in his brief time as a manager simply because he has done so well. 

Malky for me. Like the man too and that helps ... a lot.

"Nobody will get us straight back up , this club will be in the Championship for many years to come . "

OK Nostradamus, if you say so.

Some people enjoy being negative Mr. Surfer.

IMO if we can hang onto the majority of the squad and have Malky at the helm we will have a damn good chance of a quick return. We will also be one of the most wealthy clubs in that division. And yes! You can buy success.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]If you said Carragher or Neville, then I would think we were looking in the right direction at least.[/quote]Wowzer, just when we''re realising promoting our youth team coach who has no experience as we went into the toughest 5 game run in our history was a bad option, you''re saying a couple of TV pundits would be a better option than a proven manager with an excellent track record?Di Matteo has proven he can do a good job and over acheive, hell the guy took over a slumping Chelsea who were completely written off and won the Champions League against all odds. He knew how to manage those players and get the best. It''s a rare skill. Top managers are getting the big bucks as they can get that extra 2% to elevate a squad above where they should be. Allardyce has done this consistently at a certain level, as has Di Matteo.The next choice of manager is key. The biggest board decision pretty much ever.

[quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]If you said Carragher or Neville, then I would think we were looking in the right direction at least.[/quote]Wowzer, just when we''re realising promoting our youth team coach who has no experience as we went into the toughest 5 game run in our history was a bad option, you''re saying a couple of TV pundits would be a better option than a proven manager with an excellent track record?Di Matteo has proven he can do a good job and over acheive, hell the guy took over a slumping Chelsea who were completely written off and won the Champions League against all odds. He knew how to manage those players and get the best. It''s a rare skill. Top managers are getting the big bucks as they can get that extra 2% to elevate a squad above where they should be. Allardyce has done this consistently at a certain level, as has Di Matteo.The next choice of manager is key. The biggest board decision pretty much ever. [/quote]

TV pundits they are. It is better than being out of work, Neville has his badges so has been looking towards a management job. And Carragher has the passion and knowledge I''m sure to one day take the reins at a club.

Was Dalglish experienced in management when he took over the reins as player manager at Liverpool and guided them to the double in his first season.

Of course being a good player doesn''t guarantee being a good manager but I believe it commands respect and gives an initial lift to any club and its supporters to get somebody with class.

I didn''t necessarily agree with Adams but with the board leaving it far too long to make up their minds unlike many supporters, Adams was the only one they could have chosen.

It now resembles a Whitehall farce and Hughton can argue that we weren''t in the bottom three when he was in charge.

And in my original post I was referring to the likes of Carragher and Neville as looking in the right direction.

If all supporters want is for us to play boring defensive set up football but remain in the Prem then good luck to them.

Personally, I would take the Championship if it meant excitement and goalscoring. And if that is not good enough for many supporters then I believe they are watching NCFC for the wrong reason.

The lowest goals for and second worst against in a league of some pretty woeful sides alongside us says to me we need to change direction.

I believe trundling out the same old names that the bookies and media have mentioned is just being led along someone else''s pre ordained path.

Football tends to be the only sport where failure is rewarded.