Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

IF YOU WERE IN NEIL'S SHOES

What would you do against Chelsea? Smash and grab tactics as they did against Liverpool or go all out attack.

I would play 4-5-1 and try to contain them as Sunderland did recently. I would also be tempted to start Becchio up top with Snodgrass just behind in a 5 man midfield including Tettey, Johnson, Pilkington and Redmond.

Yes to 451 with Gutierrez, Snoddy, Tettey, Johnson and Howson to keep it tight in the middle. Yobo, Bennett, Martin and Olsson at back.

Chelsea struggle to break down packed defences e.g W Ham, Villa, Sunderland all small clubs.

Keep it tight for 75 mins bring on Murphy for last 15.

Up front a dilemma but I would plump for Loza to exploit his pace. All our other options are far too slow to worry defenders lets be brave and try something different.

Redmond doesn''t deserve a place.

We aren''t anywhere near secure or resilient enough at the back to keep them out.

Sunderland have been playing O''Shea and Brown, which might not excite many people, but they are vastly experienced Premier League defenders.

To go on all out attack against Chelsea would be fatal.

Remember Mourinho, mark 1, at Chelsea a few years back praising teams that went to the Bridge and gave it a go. His usual mind games, entice the opposition to open up and then hit them with a sucker punch. A leopard does not change its spots!

I would definitely not play Becchio.Elmander did enough the other day to warrant a start.

[quote user="morty"]I would definitely not play Becchio.

Elmander did enough the other day to warrant a start.
[/quote]

Yup. We need something upfront to help make the ball stick.

With RVW or Hooper the ball just ends up coming back at us far too quickly.

What''s wrong with 2 men up front and everyone else defending, when we gain possession hoof it forward so that two guys up front can fight for it. much better than one man trying to hold up the ball for others to join.

I think we need to be sensible. Keep it reasonably tight, but not just park the bus. Pray they get through tomorrow night and/or get a couple of niggling injuries so they leave a couple more players out, and then see what we can do. They had a young inexperienced lad playing at the back this weekend, let''s hope they do similar again this weekend and give us a chance to target him and hopefully sneak a goal or two.

I''d also put a few youngsters on the bench so that if things go badly and we''re a couple down at half time we can give a few of our young lads a bit of premier league experience!

[quote user="swindoncanary"]What''s wrong with 2 men up front and everyone else defending, when we gain possession hoof it forward so that two guys up front can fight for it. much better than one man trying to hold up the ball for others to join.[/quote]Might work, nothing else has this season, shove Turner and Bennett up front with Hooper to feed off the scraps and hoof absolutely everything up there. We could play 7-0-3 and cut out the midfield. Counter that one oh chosen one [<:o)]

I think we''d still lose even if we were able to field a 5-5-5 !

If i was in Neils shoes i would tell McNally to shove it , its his mess that he has tried to deflect by sacking Hughton when it was to late and appointing somebody the fans like .

If I was in Neils shoes my feet would be sore and he would be pressing stalking charges.

But play our own game with our best players. Defend well and break with pace in numbers

Ruddy

Martin. Bassong/yobo turner. Olsson

Tettey

Redmond. Fer. Howson. Jonas/pilks

Rvw

Last week Chelsea implemented the tactics with discipline, they got the breaks and took their chances when given to them. Discipline and taking your chances I only recall working at West Brom this season.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]If I was in Neils shoes my feet would be sore and he would be pressing stalking charges.

But play our own game with our best players. Defend well and break with pace in numbers

Ruddy

Martin. Bassong/yobo turner. Olsson

Tettey

Redmond. Fer. Howson. Jonas/pilks

Rvw[/quote]Our best players and you include Ricky? ...............Ricky VanWolfswinkel? The worst player we''ve ever had? ...........Ricky?Blimey.Anyway......If I were Neil I''d first of all question my judgement in taking the job and get a relegation on my CV after 5 games, however, vs Chelsea I''d just buy a prayer mat and hope that Torres continues his ongoing compeition as to who is worst out of him and Ricky. Torres obviously has a way to go but there''s hope. I''d also park the bus and pray we can do what we did vs Man City and that luck goes our way.

[quote user="TexasCanary"]Last week Chelsea implemented the tactics with discipline, they got the breaks and took their chances when given to them. Discipline and taking your chances I only recall working at West Brom this season.[/quote]The problem is Chelsea have a team playing in a different universe to our lot.Discipline alone won''t get us anything. We''re going to need a huge slice of luck too against a team still in with an outside chance of taking the title. Even when we''re playing there in a '' nothing '' game '' we usually get turned over by four and I can''t see that changing this time.

With the ball:

--------------------ruddy-------------

-------martin---Bassong---Olsson-----

Bennett--Johnson--Tettey--redmond

-----------snodgrass----Howson-------

----------------------Hooper---------------

most of the time:

-------------------------Ruddy---------------------------

Bennett-------Martin--------Bassong-------Olsson

Snodgrass-Johnson-Howson-Tettey-Redmond

-------------------------Hooper-------------------------

break quickly, don''t play redmond upfront, I''m sure you can do it neyul

[quote user="mrs miggins"]With the ball: --------------------ruddy------------- -------martin---Bassong---Olsson----- Bennett--Johnson--Tettey--redmond -----------snodgrass----Howson------- ----------------------Hooper--------------- most of the time: -------------------------Ruddy--------------------------- Bennett-------Martin--------Bassong-------Olsson Snodgrass-Johnson-Howson-Tettey-Redmond -------------------------Hooper------------------------- break quickly, don''t play redmond upfront, I''m sure you can do it neyul[/quote]

So you are suggesting that with the ball we play a narrow formation and most of the time we spread out a bit?