Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Scouting thoughts ahead of Chelsea

I would start with this team:               Hooper     Wes Snodgrass  Redmond           Jonas    Tettey Olsson Turner Yobo Whitaker                RuddyHow it would work going forwards:On the left - Wes (or Pilks/Howson/Fer) playing very narrow (between their right-back and right-central defender), Olsson pushing up high and very wide, Jonas & Turner covering.On the right - Redmond out very wide, Whittaker cutting inside, Tettey & Yobo covering.Central midfield - Jonas able to make runs from a central position, Tettey covering.Forwards - Hooper very central looking to go between the central defenders, Snodgrass in support looking to get between the left-back and left-central-defender.My reasoning:Jonas & Tetty would help to protect the back 4. Jonas did very well playing there for Newcastle. He can be more creative than Howson and more defensive than Johnson. Jonas would also be able to make runs from a central position. It is also more natural for him to help cover the left (than if Johnson/Howson/Tettey trying to do it).That would enable Wes (or Pilks/Fer/Howson) to play very narrow on the left where it wouldn''t be such a disaster when he loses the ball. Olsson to get forwards high up the pitch (knowing that Jonas can cover left-back if we get hit on the break).However, on the right we''d play in a different way. Redmond would be very wide on the right to stretch the opposition defence and help stop the full-back from getting forwards. It also means that we would be quicker on the break as he wouldn''t have to check back (as he does on the left). This also suits Whittaker who makes good runs going inside. It also suits Tettey who can just sit deep protecting the back 4.Snodgrass has too often been stuck very wide on the right (with Martin cutting inside trying to create something). That has been a waste of his talents. We needed Snodgrass to get into the box to support the striker (rather than Martin trying to do it and then expecting Snodgrass to cover the right-back position). Snodgrass is better utilised towards the centre where he has greater freedom to create opportunities, earn free-kicks, score goals and support the striker.Sub''s: I would be looking to change Wes for Pilks/Fer/Howson/Becchio/Garrido depending upon how the match was going. Late in the game I would consider bringing on Becchio and playing more direct.I think this is a way of playing that best suits the players whilst making the team harder to beat and provide more of an attacking threat.

It''s not really scouting thoughts is it.What actually is the point of this?  Bored?  Preparing for your exams?

Can''t see that Gutierrez would be a good call for this one. He''s hardly played in the last few months and when he appeared 3 or 4 weeks ago he looked rusty.

Shame really. Had he been fit and available more often he probably would have helped make us a bit more resilient.

[quote user="morty"]Interesting read Tom.But Hoolahan on the left?Really?[/quote]Not very wide on the left but in more of a left-central position. Attacking down the left would be like this:                     Hooper                Wes          SnodgrassOlsson                                    Redmond     Jonas        Tettey      Whitaker                    Turner       Yobo                                      RuddyOlsson would push up the left and stay very wide. Wes would go inside in front of Jonas (who can cover the space behind Olsson). Tettey would stay very central, Whittaker pushing forward a little to help form a 3 covering across midfield. From that position, either Jonas or Whittaker can cover the full-back areas from a counter-attack or they could make forward runs.

Seriously Tom, aren''t scouts supposed to report on the opposition whilst the manager/coaches decide on the team and tactics?Surely a real "scouting report" should be pinpointing the weaknesses in Chelsea''s team. [:(]

No, sorry Tom, but we have been here enough times with Hoolahan to realise that the only real position he can play is at the tip of a diamond, behind two strikers.And thats only really against inferior opposition too.

The minute I saw Wes in your team I lost interest.........he should never wear the yellow & green again as far as I am concerned, and if he did certainly wouldnt be our saviour........   

I think Elliot Bennett should start, I know he''s probably not match fit but we may aswell give him a go as Nathan Redmond has done absolutely nothing for a while now