Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Snodgrass is off then

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Pauls Ferry"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It''s a shame he didn''t go in January, we could have then played conventional wingers and we may have seen some reward from our forwards.
[/quote]

Why couldn''t we play conventional wingers with him here?

[/quote]

because he''s not quick enough

[/quote]

But he''s quick enough to play on the right?

[/quote]

as a wide midfielder rather than a winger

[/quote]

Riiiiiiiiight

Ok

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]A quick reply for now and another point.

Gordon Strachan uses him centrally for Scotland, could that be a better solution?[/quote]

I''d like to see him there, as he''s a better striker than our useless lot have shown to be. He isn''t bad in the air too.

Presumably this is only relevant should we be relegated, which we won''t!

I hate the way people like to pick over the bones when we are still EPL and will be fighting for our lives in the next 2 games.

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Pauls Ferry"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It''s a shame he didn''t go in January, we could have then played conventional wingers and we may have seen some reward from our forwards.
[/quote]

Why couldn''t we play conventional wingers with him here?

[/quote]

because he''s not quick enough

[/quote]

But he''s quick enough to play on the right?

[/quote]

as a wide midfielder rather than a winger

[/quote]

Riiiiiiiiight

Ok

[/quote]

a wide midfielders role is to look to drift wide with the ball and to cross from higher up, often making up for a lack of pace by offering a more physical presence in a slightly central area...

A winger tends to be fast, agile, but not so strong.. beating his man for pace before trying to get a cross in from the byline or slightly deeper...

I quite like Snodgrass as a player but I don''t buy into all the talk about him being the only one who always give it his best etc

If people think we can attract better than him then they''re highly deluded.

POTS fairly comfortably with only Olsson and maybe Ruddy competing anywhere close for it.

There''s a reason Newcastle (top half team) are interested in him. Because he''s good enough.

[quote user="hogesar"]If people think we can attract better than him then they''re highly deluded.

POTS fairly comfortably with only Olsson and maybe Ruddy competing anywhere close for it.

There''s a reason Newcastle (top half team) are interested in him. Because he''s good enough.[/quote]Agreed.

I visited a Newcastle forum to find any mention of Snodgrass. There was none but the following is interesting. It looks as though the Toon are well healed and in line for a spend-fest. I''ll bet Snoddy is on their wish-list and we should get a better fee for him from them than the Celtic paupers.

"Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has insisted he is ready to spend money in the summer to get Alan Pardew''s squad back on track.

The Sports Direct tycoon has conceded that proper investment is needed to stop the end of season slump continuing into next season.

Senior figures at all levels of the club have been told the Magpies are likely to be among the major spenders, outside the cash-rich top four.

Newcastle will not have signed a player on a permanent deal for 18 months when the summer transfer window opens.

They are bottom of the Premier League spending table over the last five years accruing a surplus of £45million by one estimate.

With the £16million from the sale of Yohan Cabaye deal unspent, and the club making a profit, Ashley has told his employees that he needs to protect the club with fresh investment to push it further into the top ten.

Some Newcastle players are also convinced that boss Pardew will be allowed to head the major rebuilding job - to include recruiting two strikers, a top play-maker and a number of English recruits with experience of the league."

[quote user="GJP"]

I quite like Snodgrass as a player but I don''t buy into all the talk about him being the only one who always give it his best etc

[/quote]

He is far and away our best player and best trier. That whoscored.com site says just as much as well. He''s joint 48th best player in the league with Adebayor and Zabaleta.

He''s our only one in the top 100 with Turner next at joint 133rd. Olsson is 191st.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote] He is far and away our best player and best trier.  [/quote]

I like him as a player. I think he''s one of our best players.

I don''t think he is by far our best player or best trier.

[quote user="Long drives home"]Good riddance, one of the tools that took us down.Whatever would his signing on fee and wages be if his other foot was not just for standing on.

[/quote]

Idiot. Why do you think he''s going to be one of only a handful of players other clubs will actually want?

If we go down, I''d place money on him being the 2nd highest transfer fee after Ruddy. There''s a reason for that.

Newcastle fans aren''t happy with their form at the moment. I dread to see what they''ll do to snodgrass when they see that he can''t really cross. He tries so you''ve got to give him that, but I would have thought for a team like Newcastle who have just lost Cabaye who''s a fantastic player, that Snodgrass would not be the answer. Would be good for celtic though i think

Will be gutted to lose him but he is too good for a Championship team.

Good luck to him. He clearly cares a great deal and has been one of the very few players capable of sparkling despite Hughton''s fatal methods.

Most overrated player I have seen in a Norwich shirt!

What does he actually bring to the team apart from a few set piece goals per season?

He can''t cross. He''s too slow. He falls over when an opposition player is anywhere near him and then whinges like a little girl when the ref doesn''t give him a free kick!

He has a bit of work rate in him but that''s not because he''s passionate about NCFC, he''s more thinking ahead in finding another club when we get relegated.

He will be one of the first to leave upon relegation with a nice "thanks for giving me my premier league career!"

Are any of the players "passionate" about NCFC? They are all from far and wide and have their own teams they support.

He brings a deadly free kick, a reliable ball into the box for the likes of Holt, good work rate and a few goals. Without him, we''d be down already.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Are any of the players "passionate" about NCFC? They are all from far and wide and have their own teams they support.

He brings a deadly free kick, a reliable ball into the box for the likes of Holt, good work rate and a few goals. Without him, we''d be down already.[/quote]

Reliable ball into the box? Lol!

Holt is gone, get over it!

With him we are already down! Miracles aside!

Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 30/04/2014 11:41 AM:

Yellow Wall - There are varying types of winger/ wide midfielder/ inside forward.

A winger tends to be quick, direct, good with their feet and has a

good cross on them. Think Darren Eadie when we had him. These guys work

best in a 4-4-2 but decent in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 whatever you dress it up as.

I can''t argue with that at all except I can also think of Jimmy Neighbour, Kenny Foggo, Dale Gordon, Keith O''Neill, Neil Adams, Adrian Forbes, Ruel Fox and, if I tried hard, a few more. All of whom could cross a ball well from dangerous positions. As far as wingers are concerned all far more effective than Snodgrass.

An Inside Forward is basically a wide playing striker. These guys

usually play for very attacking sides or sides that play with a false 9

or a big lump like Heskey that is better at holding the ball up than

finishing to put it politely. They need to be good dribblers, pace is an

advantage and importantly, they need to be able to strike a ball well.

Typically they play the opposite side to what foot they are to cut in.

Think Robben

I would not call an inside forward a wide playing striker.

The term ''inside forward'' is one that is rarely used these days. As far as we

are concerned the typical inside forward of days long ago were Tommy Bryceland

and Jimmy Hill. More recently Craig Bellamy who played off the ''big lump'' Iwan

Roberts. But I would not call them ''wide'' playing strikers. As the name itself

implies ''inside'' forward.

Then we have a wide midfielder, this guy is not the quickest but has

a hell of a delivery on them and loves to cross from deep. In order to

compensate for their lack of pace, they have to work hard and support

the defence. Think Beckham. Typically used in a 4-4-2

Yes, a wide midfielder and Beckham is the ideal benchmark. I can very rarely remember him putting a cross in from the right with his left foot. I can very rarely remember him putting a cross in to the centre of an opposition defence on to the head of a centre half.I can, however, remember him delivering good early balls behind defences for forwards to run on to or to attack in the air. I won''t even try to make the comparison.Most wide players are a mix of the three but usually are best at

one. We have seen that Snodgrass is pants on the left and never played

there for Leeds much either. Strange one really but it seems he''s tried

and failed there to be as effective as he is on the right.

But there lies the problem. Is he effective on the right?

Snodgrass has the ability to be an inside forward, he is comfortable

at taking on people and has a great shot. He isn''t the quickest though.

He could suit the wide midfielder role well. He works hard and he has a

splendid left foot on him that can get a decent ball in most of the

time, problem with a ball from deep is that it needs a robust striker to

get to it rather than the ball find the striker so to speak. RVW will

not beat the vast majority of premiership centre backs to a 50/50 and

Elmander only tries 10% of the time. That is why Snoddy''s assist column

isn''t looking too great. Give him a man mountain like Holt was in the

middle and he''ll deliver the goods.

An inside forward - simply no, he has not got the pace. Wide midfielder - again no, he does not have ''a hell of a delivery'' and does not appear to want to cross from deep. He does, however, work hard and supports the defence. Unfortunately I do not agree that he can ''get a decent ball in most of the

time''.

To compensate, we need a quick winger the other side in order we

don''t let teams play a high line against us and smash us territoriality.

While our defense has been solid the last two seasons in the main, it''s

one area we have struggled in and any team that has pressed us has

eventually forced an error or lapse from our defence and they have

battered us. We must have quicker players around Snoddy that can give

the opposition the threat of counter attack to think of.Pilkington last season did that role reasonably well and Bennett

would also work well but both have had injury/ fitness issues this

season and it''s been left to Redmond, who could eventually be that guy

but is a long way off the finished article, same with Murphy.

It''s another reason why at premiership level, i take exception to us

persisting with Johnson, i can''t fault his work rate, but he''s too

sluggish and slow to be in the same midfield as Snodgrass and if I have

to choose one, I chose Snoddy.After saying what I have about Snodgrass above I would not deny that he has passion, works very hard, has a goos attitude and is quite skillful. I would, perhaps, like to see him in an alternative position to right wing or wide midfielder.I personally cannot see too many teams wanting Snodgrass because I cannot see which role he fills, he seems to be a bit of a ''jack-of-all-trades''. In the best league in the world the better teams need the ''masters of one''.I feel if he leaves the biggest possibility is Celtic.

left footers on the left, right footers on the rightits a bit different if youve got a worldy who wants to play on the opposite flank, however, snodgrass is a scotland international not a brazlianinverted wingers is whats starved the strikers of service and relegated us

good riddance

[quote user="Jenkins"]Presumably this is only relevant should we be relegated, which we won''t! I hate the way people like to pick over the bones when we are still EPL and will be fighting for our lives in the next 2 games.[/quote]

Me too - says a lot about the lack of character amongst some of our ''fans''. Somehow they''re happy playing Vultures...

Agree totally. This thread and this forum over the past few days has been particularly revealing about the weak minds of our so called "best supporters in the country", or at least many of those who use fora such as this.

They give up, concede, start blaming all and sundry for our desperate situation. Just a bunch of bottlers really. You sure as hell wouldn''t want to rely on many of them in a really tough situation. Apportioning blame serves no purpose at this stage and when it comes from those who give up when sporting life is at its toughest it is really hard to swallow.

Robert Brompton

[quote user="My name is Robert Brompton"]Agree totally. This thread and this forum over the past few days has been particularly revealing about the weak minds of our so called "best supporters in the country", or at least many of those who use fora such as this.

They give up, concede, start blaming all and sundry for our desperate situation. Just a bunch of bottlers really. You sure as hell wouldn''t want to rely on many of them in a really tough situation. Apportioning blame serves no purpose at this stage and when it comes from those who give up when sporting life is at its toughest it is really hard to swallow.

Robert Brompton[/quote]

Post of the week for me[Y]

My name is Robert Brompton wrote the following post at 30/04/2014 6:35 PM:

Agree totally. This thread and this forum over the past few days has been particularly revealing about the weak minds of our so called "best supporters in the country", or at least many of those who use fora such as this.

Robert Brompton

Well said Robert. "Weak minds" is exactly what it is, it saddens me when I see so many. Norwich supports, regular posters on the board, behaving with a total lack of character and back bone.

The number of threads, repeatedly discussing our apparant impending,downfall and the subsequent blood letting, it makes me bloody sick!!!

OTBC. Chelsea are no great shakes let me tell you!!!

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Our stand out POTS. If Snoddy''s passion had been more evident throughout the team, we would be looking forward to another PL season. If he leaves, I wish him success in his next club.[/quote]stand out?you mean like lee croft was