Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Snodgrass is off then

Newcastle sniffing around now..............bye bye Snoddy.[:''(]

Good riddance, one of the tools that took us down.Whatever would his signing on fee and wages be if his other foot was not just for standing on.

Our stand out POTS. If Snoddy''s passion had been more evident throughout the team, we would be looking forward to another PL season. If he leaves, I wish him success in his next club.

I''ll miss him. It''s clear that the strikers setup was the main problem. Someone like snoddy needs a proper target man to aim for. He''s been used to it the last few years with Holty and Becchio. His crosses are deliberately speculative into the danger zone, and with him, it''s more about the striker getting there rather than him finding the striker.

Unfortunately for him, he''s had 3 donkeys to aim for all season and it''s no wonder he sometimes chooses to cut in and do it himself.

I hope he stays in the premiership as in the right team, he can be devastating.

He is a useful player, but in the tradition of Hucks and Wes the team has to be built around him. There the similarity ends, because Snoddy is limited by the two factors - he has no pace and plays best on the right but can''t cross very well with his right foot.

The end result is that we tend to be slower down the right wing and crosses come in via the left foot and diagonal, rather than from pull backs. The other consequence is that good, quick right wingers with pace, Redders and Benno, are reduced to near impotence down the left.

He could overcome his pace deficiency if he played on the left, and his left foot is a really excellent one, but he does not do much there.

He has been a whole hearted player for us, and scored nearly as many as our two main strikers added together. I would be sad to see him go, but so long as we get a good price....

[quote user="Long drives home"]Good riddance, one of the tools that took us down.Whatever would his signing on fee and wages be if his other foot was not just for standing on.

[/quote]

That''s BS. He played through an injury at the start of the season and came good when he was fully fit. He''s the only player who''s given his all and will be off to Newcastle United next season. No chance he''d settle for anything less than Premier League.

Good luck to him and thanks for showing some passion in this uninspiring season.POTS for me, never mind this Elliot Bennett rubbish if he has two good games at end of season.

I wonder how much Celtic can afford to pay? They haven''t spent £3 million on a player for a good number of years and you''d be thinking Norwich would want at least that.

He won''t be going for 3 million because other clubs know we''d rather keep him for a year and let him go on a free than sell him for that. There''s likely to be a bidding war between at least two Premier League clubs.

Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 30/04/2014 10:18 AM:

I''ll miss him. It''s clear that the strikers setup was the main problem. Someone like snoddy needs a proper target man to aim for. He''s been used to it the last few years with Holty and Becchio. His crosses are deliberately speculative into the danger zone, and with him, it''s more about the striker getting there rather than him finding the striker.

Unfortunately for him, he''s had 3 donkeys to aim for all season and it''s no wonder he sometimes chooses to cut in and do it himself.

I hope he stays in the premiership as in the right team, he can be devastating.

Oh dear!

[quote user="Long drives home"]Good riddance, one of the tools that took us down.Whatever would his signing on fee and wages be if his other foot was not just for standing on.

[/quote]

F***ing hell, I like to think of City supporters as great people but fortunately you are very much in the minority...

Phillip, Snod''s has got to be worth more than 3 mil mate, though we do seem to have a history of selling players on the cheap. He should be nearer to the 10 mil mark than the 1 mil end!.

Jimmy - I have asked this question on other threads but have not as yet received an answer, perhaps you can help me?

About Robert Snodgrass -

Yes, his attitude seems to be very good, he is passionate and he works very hard for the team.

But he has played on the right wing all season. What is it you look for in a winger and what is it that Snodgrass has given us as a winger?

Even though he took some stick from some a few weeks back,we would miss him more than we realise .

Snodgrass got a good cross in for RVW at Old Trafford but he was absolutely nowhere. Sums up the season. He''s got a good number of goals for a winger and the only reason he hasn''t got more assists is he''s been passing to strikers who couldn''t score in a brothel.

Kangaroo Court wrote the following post at 30/04/2014 11:19 AM:

"Snodgrass got a good cross in for RVW at Old Trafford but he was absolutely nowhere. Sums up the season. He''s got a good number of goals for a winger and the only reason he hasn''t got more assists is he''s been passing to strikers who couldn''t score in a brothel."

He got one whole good cross in? That''s a 100% improvement on his normal game then. He either tries to do too much and run into a brick wall or falls on his arse looking for a free kick. The same could be said of Redmond, a lot of trickery but no end product.

It''s a shame he didn''t go in January, we could have then played conventional wingers and we may have seen some reward from our forwards.

Yellow Wall - There are varying types of winger/ wide midfielder/ inside forward.

A winger tends to be quick, direct, good with their feet and has a good cross on them. Think Darren Eadie when we had him. These guys work best in a 4-4-2 but decent in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 whatever you dress it up as.

An Inside Forward is basically a wide playing striker. These guys usually play for very attacking sides or sides that play with a false 9 or a big lump like Heskey that is better at holding the ball up than finishing to put it politely. They need to be good dribblers, pace is an advantage and importantly, they need to be able to strike a ball well. Typically they play the opposite side to what foot they are to cut in. Think Robben

Then we have a wide midfielder, this guy is not the quickest but has a hell of a delivery on them and loves to cross from deep. In order to compensate for their lack of pace, they have to work hard and support the defence. Think Beckham. Typically used in a 4-4-2

Most wide players are a mix of the three but usually are best at one. We have seen that Snodgrass is pants on the left and never played there for Leeds much either. Strange one really but it seems he''s tried and failed there to be as effective as he is on the right.

Snodgrass has the ability to be an inside forward, he is comfortable at taking on people and has a great shot. He isn''t the quickest though. He could suit the wide midfielder role well. He works hard and he has a splendid left foot on him that can get a decent ball in most of the time, problem with a ball from deep is that it needs a robust striker to get to it rather than the ball find the striker so to speak. RVW will not beat the vast majority of premiership centre backs to a 50/50 and Elmander only tries 10% of the time. That is why Snoddy''s assist column isn''t looking too great. Give him a man mountain like Holt was in the middle and he''ll deliver the goods.

To compensate, we need a quick winger the other side in order we don''t let teams play a high line against us and smash us territoriality. While our defense has been solid the last two seasons in the main, it''s one area we have struggled in and any team that has pressed us has eventually forced an error or lapse from our defence and they have battered us. We must have quicker players around Snoddy that can give the opposition the threat of counter attack to think of.

Pilkington last season did that role reasonably well and Bennett would also work well but both have had injury/ fitness issues this season and it''s been left to Redmond, who could eventually be that guy but is a long way off the finished article, same with Murphy.

It''s another reason why at premiership level, i take exception to us persisting with Johnson, i can''t fault his work rate, but he''s too sluggish and slow to be in the same midfield as Snodgrass and if I have to choose one, I chose Snoddy.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It''s a shame he didn''t go in January, we could have then played conventional wingers and we may have seen some reward from our forwards.
[/quote]

Why couldn''t we play conventional wingers with him here?

Snoddy is a decent player and has scored some good goals for us..

however, there is better out there.. and if we can attract that player to Carrow road then we should do so.

I also wonder how many games Snoddy would have played had Bennett not have been injured. Benno on the right and Redmond on the left may well be what we see next season... hughton would perhaps have used this if he could.

Snoddy was only not a sub because of an injury

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]It''s a shame he didn''t go in January, we could have then played conventional wingers and we may have seen some reward from our forwards.
[/quote]

[/quote]

because he''s not quick enough

Thank you for your reply Jimmy.

It was a good read and when I get more time I will reply to it .......... especially as I disagree with most of it!

:)

A quick reply for now and another point.

Gordon Strachan uses him centrally for Scotland, could that be a better solution?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But he''s quick enough to play on the right?

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Pauls Ferry"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But he''s quick enough to play on the right?

[/quote]

as a wide midfielder rather than a winger

I know he frustrates us sometimes, but then again which players do not.However his stats do no lie and he is our best offensive player by a huge margin72 premiership appearances in a bottom half team with 14 goals and 14 assists, thats not a £3 million player, thats a £10 million player.