Sign in to follow this  

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before, but if we were to go down, and Lambert were to be sacked at Villa - assuming he and McNally could bury the hatchet Mourinho and Abramovic style - would you take him back?

To be honest, after his abject failure at Villa, will he still be the force he once was?Will losing his trusted backroom staff of Culverhouse and Karsa weaken him?Would we be better suited to fuel his ambition, seeing as it was our inability to do so being the reason he left? And indeed does he have the same ambition and drive after his disastrous time at Villa?Should you ever go back? Were the successive promotions really just a "perfect storm" unlikely to be repeated?I would take a similar manager in his mould, but not entirely convinced his return would guarantee success.

I think I would looking at the bigger picture, there aren''t many like him I don''t think. Who knows what has happened with him and his back room staff, if he was forced to make a statement, or if he has properly severed his ties with them.

If he is sacked, I doubt another premier league team will go for him so he''ll have to rebuild in the championship. If he doesn''t have a back room team, what club will he want to go to and what club will take a manager with the reputation he now has as being part of a bully. Although i doubt he will be sacked if Culverhouse and Karsa are given their jobs back, there is a ''what if'' question. Lambert will want to go to a team that can get back up to the prem without his back room staff with him, he knows he can do that at Norwich where we still have quite a few players from when he was here and love him as well as players that are imo better than the ones he had (demonstrated with the answer ''where are they now?).

There are a lot of ifs and buts, but if he is sacked, coming back here would not totally be out of the question, especially with our healthy funds available compared to what he was used to here. Who knows...and don''t say Waveney ;)

If he''s the best man for the job, why not?

I''d be willing to give him a second chance. Proven motivator who plays attacking football and has experience of the Championship.

We''ve been linked with worse...

Would our expectations of him be too high? Like they were with Walker? Seeing how it has gone for him at Villa, he might be more appreciative of what he did have at Norwich. If we could convince him his bridges werent burned, I would have him back. He could bring Holty with him (if he could forgive McNally). If McNally is the block to these two returning, and he had a fair share of responsibility for not sacking Hughton earlier, and indeed appointing Hughton, then maybe we should just get rid of him...

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]To be fair comparing Walker to the Messiah is like comparing Scunthorpe with Real Madrid[/quote]

I know that he has failed dismally at Villa but comparing Lambert to Scunthorpe is still a bit harsh.

No Culverhouse, no karsa.

Would he be anywhere near as effective without those two?

Lambert keeps burning his bridges and it will cost him.

I find it strange that people have so much faith in Paul Lambert''s managerial ability.

I did enjoy his time with us. His attitude was virtually always setting out to win and to do that you had to attack and consequently nearly always entertain.

He was lucky but probably earned the good luck because of his attitude.

However, his record says he isn''t too lucky with his other clubs and apart from us had one good season with Wycombe.

So I say thank you to him fr the enjoyment he brought to us all during his tenure, I wish he had stayed as I think his luck would have continued but I do not think it is wise to contemplate his return.

Never mind the Walker situation which is always thrown up. That has no bearing on it. But I just don''t think he is as successful as people seem to think.

keelansgrandad wrote the following post at 01/05/2014 2:53 PM:

But I just don''t think he is as successful as people seem to think.

------------------------------------------

People think he turned a team from league 1 with no money to the premiership in the least amount of time possible. He did. He had a good season a Wycombe you''re right, yet you''re calling it a fluke just like how he got us up?. Give credit where credit is due I say.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Would our expectations of him be too high? Like they were with Walker? Seeing how it has gone for him at Villa, he might be more appreciative of what he did have at Norwich. If we could convince him his bridges werent burned, I would have him back. He could bring Holty with him (if he could forgive McNally). If McNally is the block to these two returning, and he had a fair share of responsibility for not sacking Hughton earlier, and indeed appointing Hughton, then maybe we should just get rid of him...[/quote]

I don''t think McNally would be the biggest stumbling block. Bowkett is the guy who virtually spontaneously combusts at the mention of Lambert''s name.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]keelansgrandad wrote the following post at 01/05/2014 2:53 PM:

But I just don''t think he is as successful as people seem to think.

------------------------------------------

People think he turned a team from league 1 with no money to the premiership in the least amount of time possible. He did. He had a good season a Wycombe you''re right, yet you''re calling it a fluke just like how he got us up?. Give credit where credit is due I say.[/quote]

I didn''t mention fluke and I believe I gave him credit for his achievements with us not least the brand of football we played.

How many managers continually serve up success for most if not all of their employers.

One current one of course is Allardyce but I would give odds that he would not be a popular choice with City fans, even WHU fans are waving out banners.

Warnock is another who has a terrific record but would not be welcome.

I imagine Lambert would be welcome with the majority of City fans but as I pointed out, we were really the only team he has been successful with.

Sky have been polling viewers etc about whether they want style or success from a manager. And the majority were voting for style.

I''m just advocating that his return would possibly bring style but I think the odds coupled with his record, say those thinking of success would probably be disappointed.

But there again, I think success is walking out of a ground more often than not thinking you''ve been well entertained for your money.

I know Culverhouse and Karsa have left Villa, but has Lambert burned his bridges with these two? Have I missed something? If Lambert became a free agent what is to stop him taking them on again, or as I say, have I missed a spat between them?