Sign in to follow this  
natalie

roy waller

I often wondered that myself and as a result I stopped listening to him. I also found it frustrating that he would build up a fantastic sequence of events without mentioning any players names, leading you to believe we were about to score - then he would yell out what a fantastic goal - followed by Norwich 0 whoever we were playing 1.

Never mind if roys losing his eyesight i say get behind any true city fan like roy is. i dont give a crap who does commentary, providing we get one cus we cant get a ticket i personally think he is as uptight as any canary fan when the games on think it could be nervous excitment if other team scores which realy means he is really dissapointed if you no what i mean think your great roy keep it up

Roy does his best. Bless him. The trouble is, it''s just not good enough. He is what he is, an ex-employee of the AA (the motoring organisation, not the boozers) who, 20 years ago was given a job by then BBC when they decided to take revenge on the licence dodgers of this county by inflicting Radio Norfolk on us all.

Now, I don''t mind the BBC using our licence fees to employ people with no professional journalistic training, ability or background whatsoever, as long as they only use them to present strange weekday afternoon "tea time" programmes that are much beloved by, and only listened to, by old age pensioners in Melton Constable, Binham and Little Snoring.

But when it comes to matters Norwich City FC, I expect the BBC to be able to provide somebody as a commentator who can actually manage to see and understand what is happening during a football match. The ability to then communicate what he is seeing in a manner comprehensible to his audience wouldn''t go amiss either. It doesn''t seem an unreasonable request to me.

I don''t mean to be too hard on Roy Waller. I''m sure he''s a really nice bloke. But a football commentator he ''aint. No wonder Norwich City have such a fantastic away following. If you want to know what''s happening during a Norwich City away game, you have to be there yourself to see it with your own eyes.

hands off roy waller. some of us on the other side of the world through the internet have our direct contact with the city maches. his humour and match description is far better than that available from some other clubs through the internet medium.

I''ve heard worse, but it does annoy me that Waller and Adams daren''t criticise the club or ask probing questions of the manager after the game. Adams is useless on his phone in - he still works up at Colney so what''s the point in being able to discuss the rights and wrongs of team selection and performance if you can''t say what you think?

I don''t think Adams is put in to slag off the team. He''s theren to give points from a players perspective and i think he''s pretty good. He often points out flaws in our game (like we''re not getting down the wing, Hendo has been poor, no service to the front two) They''re only examples by the way, I''m not criticising anyone! As for Roy Waller I agree that he has his flaws but he is Mr Radio Norfolk and I don''t think we realise just how hard his job is

As I said in a previous thread, I think that the guy who stands in for Roy W "occasionally", does a real good commentary and works well with Neil Adams,[good pundit].

Roy makes me chuckle... but he can also be frustrating at times!... still, he''s been doing it for a good few years now and listeners are probably loathe to change. OTBC

I actually find his bias towards City a problem. In previous seasons we would appear to be playing really well from his commentary yet still get beaten, and then afterwards in the paper it was clear that we were rubbish.

I admit that I haven''t heard him this year (for the obvious reason but not meaning to gloat :o) ) but would imagine that you listeners would find it frustrating to hear Norwich being well on top then the next thing you know Everton (or whoever) has scored.

I do listen to the phone in afterwards and think that Neil Adams is pretty fair and is usually spot on in criticisms or praise.

If you pay my mobile bill I''m happy to give anyone a personal VERY biased commentary.

Leave our bor Roy alone.

John Motson he ain''t, but what his commentaries lack in polish and professionalism, he makes up for ten times over in passion and energy. You know when City score he is just as over the moon as any other supporter.

Must admit though...I do take it with a pinch of salt when he says anything like ''its an open goal and he must score''

Roughly translated this means ''he has picked the ball up at the Ferry Boat and is dribbling thru Riverside, dodging kiddies and shoppers...close to the ground now and coming in thru the River End turnstile....has 34 defenders left to beat and the ref has made him use his swinger...'' And so on

That aside, we luv ya Roy

My son who follows Colchester utd listens to bbc radio essex comentry via internet and their comentator Glen Speller is just as bad, must be something they put in the tea .Spookilly his surname speller is very simular to waller distant cousins maybe. I just think at the end of the day they are fans of the team they comentate on and we are lucky to have them .

I think you lot are just whingeing - OK, Roy Waller may not be the best technically, but I have heard much worse and when you live across the water like I do, it is very nice to hear a familiar accent. On the subject of Neil Adams, of course if he is still involved in the club he cannot go out and slag off the players - however, I feel that he has a lot of very good points to make, and is less likely to come out with a knee jerk reaction to one poor performance than many who contribute to this board.

Its not that Roy Waller is bad as such, its just this is what seems to happen most weeks.

"Here come Norwich...Drury..to Huckerby....HUCKERBY!!....STILL WITH HUCKERBY....HE''S THROUGH.....JUST THE KEEPER TO BEAT!!!........HE SHOOTS!!......YESSSS!!!.....ITS IN!!.......NO ITS NOT.......YES IT IS.......NO ITS OFFSIDE/OVER THE BAR/SIDE NETTING....................Neil..."

I bet if you telephoned the University Hospital, they would say that the heart attack rate goes up between 3.00pm and 4.45pm every Saturday.

Just for the record, during the recent 4-4 at Rotherham, I was pronounced clinically dead 74 times during the game.

Luckily I am a Season Ticket holder so only listen to radio for away games.

Who''s the other guy that does the commentry when Roy can''t get there? He doesn''t seem to give me such a heart attack!

Roy is a good mate of my dads (was his best man at his wedding and my brothers godfather,) and apparently he''s always been funny like that. Makes you wonder how he''s kept it all going this long but he must be well thought of at the club, cause he''s got his EDP column too.

i think niel adams has changed iswell
he used to be biased to them now its us then he says the opposition are butter or sumthing
Wallers gd at commentaiting normally doesnt get anything wrong
Chris goram is sport presenter
Nick bowler = Kings lyn games