Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Are City being too careful?.

3 players in......no outlay.

Okay, maybe City and Worthy are being extra careful, prudent and cautious. There''s always the January sales to think of, yes?.

But, I would rather see a Jason Koumas type player come here now, then let a player of his obvious class, disappear to a championship rival by our nervous purse string holders!.

''Be patient'' you might say, and you would have a fair point, but I expect many of you, just like me, would like to see some serious action on the incoming front this week.

Or other useful ''targets'' could, nay will, slip through the net to our opposition.

Unless of course, the money is not there, and then we might just have to consider shouting ''Don''t panic. Don''t panic''!.

Anyone agree?. 

agree. I think we should spent maybe 1-1.5 mil on two or three quality players to give us that extra bit of quality on the first team. Then about 3 more back up players.

Sam Sodje/Morgan
Kirstiansen
Taylor

i think we may be expecting too much from Worthy though. We could just see more of the same (jarret et co)

i don''t like this reliance on the jan. window

if you can get a settled squad abd fill as many holes as you can now the better

in jan. when a player arrives he will take time to settle and during this time there will be plenty of games... we cannot afford to waste time

also if we don''t have the players early will drop points and maybe even lose players in the window... i''d rather have a settled squad with the holes filled now and for jan. to come when we pick up a few loan players and a final push... not go into jan. needing to fill a hole

so worthy et al lets get the finger out

koumas, robbie blake and a new centre back

Of course I agree

It is all very well being "prudent" and bringing people in for free but the whole makeup of the squad should also be crucial.

Goalkeepers - 4

Right Back -1 no cover

Centre Backs - perm 2 from 4 (Of questionable quality other then Shackell)

Left Back - 1 + Charlton/Brennan

Right Midfield - ? Johnsson not a wide midfielder, McVeigh on transfer list

Centre Midfield - Safri and Jarrett. No cover (assuming Francis goes)

Left Midfield - Brennan and McVeigh?? (Hucks is a STRIKER!!)

Strikers - Strength in depth!!

We need people in before the start of the season or we will have problems.  

No, I''ve no doubt things are happening behind the scenes. Surprisingly there''s still not a lot of business going on in the championship where money is being spent. I''d expect it to pick up this week

While City may be being careful with their money, I personally believe given that Worthy has only brought people in on frees, that quite simply we don''t have any real money to throw around. It is becoming clearer that any money Worthy can spend will come from any sales he makes (i.e. Francis, Green etc). As they haven''t gone yet, he can''t buy. Although he does have a reported £500K to play with due to the sale of Helveg and £100K for Svennson, so there is some money about. Of course I expect the crise of "where has the Premiership Parachute Money gone?" but when was the last time you saw a relegated Prem team throw big money around the following season? It just doesn''t happen, which makes me skeptical of the nature of the Parachute money - and what is spent on (wages? Maybe someone in the know can enlighten me).

I too am slightly concerned at the size of the squad, with our midfield looking desperately short on players - unless we see more strikers or left backs operating as wingers next season (Jonson, Huckerby, Henderson, McVeigh - who could well be leaving given he is on the transfer list, Brennen). The lack of midfielders will also be felt around January time, when Safri is likely to be heading out for the African Nations Cup - that''s if he isn''t injured or suspended, as he was injured a fair amount last season, and has a fiery reputation for ''getting stuck in'' on the pitch. A new centre mid, and wide man are desperately needed before the start of the season. Our defence however is brimming with players, as is the goalkeeper department. Up front I think with the signing of Thorne we should have an adequate number of players, with Jarvis and Henderson acting as backup in case of a mini injury/suspension crisis.

So who do I recommend? Well Koumas for his skill would be a good buy - but I think his attitude will mean he won''t be joining. As midfield playmakers are a rarity at Div 1 level, aside from Commons of Forest, I think we may see another workman like midfielder - no idea who though. Wide right? Not Partridge - I saw him when he scored that goal against us when he was at Coventry, and he did not look anything special that night - and McVeigh scored a better goal than him in that same game. I''ve always liked Paul Ware of Rotherham, Peter Sweeney of Millwall (although he is left footed), Montgommery of Sheff Utd (unlikely I would think as highly rated up there).

You cannot get anymore careful than spending nothing , other relegated teams usually have the spending power to mount a challenge , thats what gives them the edge .Why are Norwich so short of money ? we hardly went spending crazy last season , so if we have to sell before we can buy quite frankly its scandalous. Take a look at West Ham ,supposedly a club in financial trouble ,gone up brought in 4 or 5 players already and made a bid of £6million for Crouch.Getting to the Premiership is a financial windfall , the question is what happened to Citys windfall.

West Brom spent a few million to get back up, and if the right targets become available then we can spend too. £1.25m of the budget has already been taken up by Dean Ashton; an important point to remember.

Free does not equal no quality...We''ve got the right players in for nothing.

We could have signed 3 other players of similar quality for near £1m...and all of us would take the ''free'' option rather than waste money.

The players we have brought in so far are good squad players.  We need a strong squad to compete next year.  However, the time has now come to spend a bit of cash and buy some quality first division players who will benefit the starting X1.  We must have cash to spend.  What''s the point in saving it until January?

Agree totally DD.  WE cant sit back and watch quality players who could become Norwich players be snapped up by our rivals. We should spend money but not too much, so as to put ourselves in trouble!

People people, have some faith in worthy! he knows what hes doing!

Who saw the thorne transfer coming,...hey?

Damn it guys, after reading most of the replies here, I''m just starting to get slightly worried now.

Don''t panic, don''t panic!. 

we''ve replaced Holt, Svensson and Helveg with Jarrett, Thorne and Loius-Jean. We haven''t sold or best players (yet) i.e. Green, Francis (whipping boy incumbent) or Ashton and unless we do we''ve got nothing to panic about.

We could splash the cash on another right-back or centre back to replace the much maligned Fleming.

Who''s to say Koumas is the player he was the season previous?

Personally I think if we started with the following line-up - from the current squad - we''ll be a match for any of the competition in the Champinoship.

green

louis-jean charlton/fleming shackell drury

jonson safri francis brennan

Ashton Huckerby

subs Ward charlton/fleming jarrett mckenzie thorne

If you look around the leagues there isn''t an awful lot going on at the moment. There doesn''t seem to be massive numbers of transfers occuring in the championship either.

I have a feeling the frenzy of paid transfers might be occuring soon!

OTBC!

Chunky

Fillet...wouldn''t disagree with your selection apart from the fact that Francis is unlikely to be here at the start of the season and therefore Jarrett will have to start..

However, the problem arises if Louis-Jean; Drury; Jonson; Safri; Jarrett or Brennan gets injured because we will then be in the cack as we have no cover.

And therein lies the problem.

Why not wait and see what we have done by the end of the transfer window before getting edgy or questionning the club - none of the champsionship teams have bought big so far, in fact teams like the scum have managed to lose virtually all of their good players.

One more defender and I think we have the team that will win the championship.

Hopefully Francis will wander off for a half decent fee and we will then have a kitty to spend.

[quote]Why not wait and see what we have done by the end of the transfer window before getting edgy or questionning the club - none of the champsionship teams have bought big so far, in fact teams like the s...[/quote]

As Fatman Fat said Dicky, what happens if key players get long injuries?.

You might end up being grateful a class act like Francis is here after all!.

Your bold boast of ''one more defender, and we could/may/will win the championship is all well and good, as long as said player doesn''t get injured too!.

We need at least 4 or 5 more players for cover, not 1 as you suggest!.

[quote]As Fatman Fat said Dicky, what happens if key players get long injuries?. You might end up being grateful a class act like Francis is here after all!. Your bold boast of ''one more defender, and we ...[/quote]

Why do we need 5 players?

We have:

4 keepers - more than enough

Defenders - need a right back for cover, but we have Louis-Jean (RB), Flemo, Shacks, Doc, Charlton (CBs), Drury, Brennan and Charlton (again) (LB) - no panic here

Midfield - Hucks, Safri, Jonson, Jarret, Francis (hopefully will go and we will spend the money on a replacement), Brennan (again), Hendo

Strikers - Ash, Leon, Thorne, Jarvis, Hendo (again)

Worthy will no doubt use the allowed loan signings to add to this.

So, we should get 5 more players and waste 20 grand per week on players that are unlikely to play?

Glad the Mr Doncaster is more prudent with the club''s purse strings than 1st Wiz.

GK: Green, Ward, Lewis, Gallacher

RB: Louis-Jean

LB: Drury, Charlton, Brennan

CB: Charlton, Shackell, Doherty, Fleming

RM: Jonson, Henderson

LM: Huckerby, Brennan, Jonson

CM: Safri, Jarrett, Francis

ST: Ashton, McKenzie, Thorne, Jarvis

From this, we clearly need a back up right midfielder and a first choice right back.

A team of:

Green

?  Doherty  Shackell  Drury

Jonson  Safri  Francis
                              Huckerby

Ashton  McKenzie

Plenty strong enough to do well...3 more signings will be enough.

The simple fact is that we do not NEED to spend a great deal to be challenging, we''re already there...and if we can keep everybody, spend £750k on a new right back, get a young Premiership right winger on loan and then sign a utility player on a free, we''ll be laughing!

[quote]Why do we need 5 players? We have: 4 keepers - more than enough Defenders - need a right back for cover, but we have Louis-Jean (RB), Flemo, Shacks, Doc, Charlton (CBs), Drury, Brennan and Charlton...[/quote]

Flemo, Docherty, Hendo and Jarvis. Do you really expect me to agree with you Dicky?, that these players are up to the championship, because I won''t.

Brennan and Charlton are doubtful in my book as well, but I''m prepared to be generous with you, and allow you those two.

So, its still 4 maybe 5 required if you don''t mind.

Oh yes, you and others can take the ''P'' as much as you like. City are not in the great shape that you all think they are.

Boy, are you and a few other''s in for a big shock come the 6th of August, unless there are a few class players brought in before then!.

Deja Vu anyone? Three years on and we''re still being urged to wait for the transfer window, wait ''til January, wait ''til next year, wait for a three year plan, Manana manana manana with this Club.

Despite being made to look very stupid by that blast from the past - a few of the present incumbants of this board are still trotting out the same old ''wait and see'' rubbish. Which leads me to only one conclusion - club employees''s!

[quote user="Percy Negative"]Deja Vu anyone? Three years on and we''re still being urged to wait for the transfer window, wait ''til January, wait ''til next year, wait for a three year plan, Manana manana manana with this Club.
[/quote]

Yep same old, same old, same old !

It maybe alright for the youngsters, but some of us old uns aint got too many "wait fors"''  left to us !

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

We haven''t sold or best players (yet) i.e. Green, Francis (whipping boy incumbent) or Ashton and unless we do we''ve got nothing to panic about.

[/quote]Well we did sell them at the earliest opportunity, then add to those three the likes of Etuhu, Safri, Earnshaw, Edworthy, the much maligned (even in 2k5) Fleming , Mackenzie etc. etc. Pretty well all replaced by freebies, cheapies and loanees.  Is it too early to start panicking?

[quote user="Dicky"]

Why not wait and see what we have done by the end of the transfer window before getting edgy or questionning the club - none of the champsionship teams have bought big so far, in fact teams like the scum have managed to lose virtually all of their good players.

One more defender and I think we have the team that will win the championship.

Hopefully Francis will wander off for a half decent fee and we will then have a kitty to spend.

[/quote]

Lol.  This post could have been written by a pro-boarder any time in the last three years.  Some people are just incapable of living and learning.......

Posters talking about selling Francis "to give Worthy a decent transfer kitty" made me smile.....[8-)] 

Quick! contact Guinness! this has to be a record for bringing back an old thread of mine, 3 years old, it has to be!.[:D]

However.....

It nails once and for all the Percy''s lies and crap that it will all come good in the next transfer window.

Three years on and we''re still all waiting Percy!.[:@]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Quick! contact Guinness! this has to be a record for bringing back an old thread of mine, 3 years old, it has to be!.[:D]

However.....

It nails once and for all the Percy''s lies and crap that it will all come good in the next transfer window.

[/quote]

Ah but, the difference this time, Wiz, is that it hasn''t been brought back to score points over you.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

However.....

[/quote]

Ah but, the difference this time, Wiz, is that it hasn''t been brought back to score points over you.

[/quote]

Yes, I realise that mate, and I''m bloody grateful for it too.

And I noticed one or two of my usual ''shadows'' are missing as well!.

Hmm? I wonder why?