Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Will the wolf play championship football?

[quote user="GJP"]

A season in the Championship wouldn''t do any of our players any harm. It''s a tough league to play in and none of them are "above it".

That''s not to say that none of them are up to playing in the Premier League either but we don''t have anyone at the moment who is outstandingly too good to drop down.

Even if the players themselves aren''t pushing hard for moves I''m sure most of their agents will be so there''s sure to be a few departures but I''d like to see the likes of RVW and Fer stick around to prove themselves.

[/quote]Good points GJL. I think that this encapsulates the whole scenario round the club this season and next. Basically, we have not had the two or three  real class operators that give teams the edge and keep them in the Prem. And we''ve paid the price for that fact. But, the flip side of that is that we will not be faced with half the team being ''big time Charlies'' who will feel the Champ is beneath them and jump ship straight away.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="morty"]Yes, I agree that a loan is actually more likely than selling him, but the same applies really, would you take on a (comparatively) highly paid footballer, on loan for the season, based on his record this season?I think he''ll stay. And if we can buy a big lump of a target man for him to play off, I reckon he could do okay, and hopefully rebuild his confidence.[/quote]I think a European team would take a gamble on him because he did have pedigree before he signed for us.I hope he stays because I want him to prove us all wrong, but I just can''t see it happening.Reggie, your point about a mutual agreement is very true, and that could be a deciding factor.  I''m of the opinion that Ricky probably feels very unloved by a section of the fans and would rather be somewhere else now anyway.[/quote]I think it would actually suit Ricky to stay, and the new manager and

(possibly) the new league could actually be the fresh start he needs,

without having to move anywhere. Also, geographically it must suit him

pretty well to be here too, I have seen him at the airport a few times,

he can be back in Holland in 40 minutes!

morty wrote the following post at 02/05/2014 10:20 AM:

You think anyone will pay 4-5 million for him based on the stinker of a season he has just had?

-------------------------

Yeah, firstly I doubt we''d sell him for much less, but more importantly, he''s a great player to have for teams in other European leagues, the reason main reason why he''s had such a poor season this year is his confidence and size. The boys got the ability to play in a team hovering around the champions league places, for a team like Ajax for example. For me, its not if we can get rid because I don''t think that''ll be too hard, the question is, is he ready for the fight of the championship and how much does he want to play in the premier league.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

A season in the Championship wouldn''t do any of our players any harm. It''s a tough league to play in and none of them are "above it".

That''s not to say that none of them are up to playing in the Premier League either but we don''t have anyone at the moment who is outstandingly too good to drop down.

Even if the players themselves aren''t pushing hard for moves I''m sure most of their agents will be so there''s sure to be a few departures but I''d like to see the likes of RVW and Fer stick around to prove themselves.

[/quote]

Unfortunately I think you won''t see Fer for dust.
[/quote]

No, I agree. Best case scenario is a season loan with a view to him coming back if we get straight back up.

Or maybe a better scenario is someone paying more than we did for him.

Clearly a talented lad but you could probably argue that he hasn''t even been one of our 3 or 4 best players this season - and we''ve been quite poor.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Good points GJL.
[/quote]

Thanks. ;-)

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Good points GJL. [/quote]

Thanks. ;-)

[/quote]Sorry, mate.Getting my pees mixed up with my ells.......

I''d be hugely surprised if he plays for us again after this season. I''d assume he will move back to The Netherlands to rebuild his shattered reputation. Whether this is on loan, or a hugely discounted fee is inknowable.

All we know is he has been the worst striker in our history, and certainly the worst Premier League player this season. He''s not good enough for the Championship either. Hopefully he won''t be the subject of news articles in the future titled ''whatever happened too.....'' where we learn he is stacking shelves in some random Dutch supermarket.

This boy does not have enough talent for the Premiership and is not physically strong enough for the Championship. So get rid of asap one way or another. A complete failure and one of the main reasons for our imminent relegation imo.

[quote user="MancCanary"]but old Becs will be on something like 12 - 15k.[/quote]

Think you may need to double that estimate you have for Becchio according to old Batesy...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-lennon-one-four-men-3464404?

Oops, wrong link! This is the right one...

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/ken-bates-leeds-united-could-not-afford-becchio-wages-1-5622181

Can''t believe there are still some (plastic stream watchers?) who insist we don''t play to his strengths.

He. Has. No. Strengths.

Fact

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I wonder if RvW has the necessary physicality to flourish in the Championship; for all concerned, it is arguably better that he moves on.[/quote]That may well be the case Highland. In which event he was hardly likely to flourish in the Prem either ?Yet another damning indictment to add to the burgeoning list of charges laid at Hughton''s door. RvW hasn''t suddenly become weak physically. If he is now, then he was also twelve months ago. Did not Hughton and the club recognise this when they shelled out lavishly for his services ?

I am not bothered if we never see him again, the most expensive flop in our history. Ok Hughton did not help his cause but his inability to score more than 1 goal is this single biggest factor in our demise, accepting that there are others but his form is the biggest

What the hell are you lot talking about? The Championship does not have bigger, stronger, more athletic defenders than this league! Neither did League 1 when people claimed that league is full of cloggers!

They might be stockier, but they''ll be nowhere near as strong, fast or intelligent as the defenders in this league. Ricky wouldn''t need to be physical, Hoolahan never was to flourish, you just need to move well and be intelligent.

For all his faults you can''t argue he does pull defenders out of position and keep them on their toes, I think he''d be useful in the Championship and maybe net 10-15 goals but that wouldn''t be worth his big wages. Whether he wants to stay or not an offer of about 3-4 million would probably temp me to get rid

[quote user="Darth Catbeard The Old"]What the hell are you lot talking about? The Championship does not have bigger, stronger, more athletic defenders than this league! [/quote]That''s pretty much what I was referring to in my earlier post Catbeard. The idea that defenders in the Champ are more difficult than Prem ones is ridiculous. If RvW is deemed not to be good enough for the Championship, then, sure as hell, he''s not going to cut it in the Prem !!

Based on RvW''s almost complete lack of attributes needed by a modern striker - no physicality, no pace, no ability to hold the ball up, no aptitude for link play, no great skill on the ball - the only way in which he might do a decent job in any division is feeding off a target man in a 4-4-2. If whoever the new manager is fancies playing what is an out-of-fashion system then there might just be an argument for keeping RvW. Otherwise he will be a luxury we cannot afford and should accept whatever we can get for him.

Purple, you forgot good in the air - or is that for an old fashioned striker. Either way he is no great shakes at that either.

If we want a 4-4-2 option I think I would prefer to have Hooper feeding off a target man.

RvW is as you say a luxury we can not afford. Although I have always thought of luxuries as being a bit of a treat, and he doesn''t fit that description either.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Purple, you forgot good in the air - or is that for an old fashioned striker. Either way he is no great shakes at that either.

If we want a 4-4-2 option I think I would prefer to have Hooper feeding off a target man.

RvW is as you say a luxury we can not afford. Although I have always thought of luxuries as being a bit of a treat, and he doesn''t fit that description either.[/quote]Absolutely, Sussex. What I believe young people call a no-brainer!

A comparison could be Royston Drenthe, another dutch player who went to Everton with a big rep. He did ok at Everton but was only on loan. He''s now with Reading in the Championship. A decision for Ricky and our next manager I feel..

I think the operative phrase here is that Drenthe did OK at Everton. Certainly looked the part when he came on against us at Goodison.

Could we say Ricky did OK with us in the Premiership?

Ricky played in Holland and Portugal...2 poor quality divisions, against mid ability teams.

He would score 40 in Scotland... he wont manage 4 in 3 years here in England.

send him back to the tin pot leagues and let him score a hatful.. never going to cut it... He''ll get bullied in the championship.

i dont know why anyone would want him, and they certainly wont pay even half for him that city did, but i fucking hope hes not anywhere near this club when next season startshe will get beasted in the championship

Personally I would keep him until at least January.

He''ll be playing against lower quality defenders.

We''ll have a new manager who might play to his strengths.

We won''t get much back for him (and a replacement will cost a lot anyway).

If it finally turns out that he is genuinely rubbish then get rid to whoever will take him in the window.

How did Hughton ever think he was the man for the job?

Huge error of judgement.

Same with Hooper.