Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Will the wolf play championship football?

There will doubtless be the usual people on here who claim to "know" what the position is with RvW''s contract and clauses therein, but the truth is that probably only the club, RvW and his agent know what the options are.As I said on another thread, if he is serious about making a fist of English football, then ,assuming we employ a decent manager who can play to his strengths, he could do a lot worse than stay at Norwich and fight for starting place here.

don''t think so, sound''s like he does have some sort of clause.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/8645518/ricky-van-wolfswinkel-will-not-join-norwich-if-the-club-are-relegated

My heart is with what Reggie said.. my head is going with what Yorkshire said.

When you have to be ruthless with the wage bill, you''re going to have to make decisions based on probabilities. We don''t know RVW will even score in the championship, but we know that Becchio and Hooper have, and probably will again.

In Wolfy''s favour though, he has scored bags of goals in 2 lesser leagues too - but are the Eredivisie and Premeira Liga as physical as the English Championship? Do you get more time on the ball there?

RVW is probably on higher wages than those 2 - I would hazard a guess my he''s on something approaching 35k. Hooper may be on 25 - 30k, but old Becs will be on something like 12 - 15k. So if you were being brutal you would take a £5 - £6m offer from a continental club for RVW, and re-invest that in a big, strong, Holt-type forward to complement Hooper.

In Wolfy''s favour however is the fact he was a big investment, and it would be great financially if he regained his value and scored lots of goals here, for us.

Big decisions for the board, but I think a £6m+ offer for RVW would make their mind up for them.

The first time I saw Wolfie play was at the pre season friendly at Brighton. After about 20 minutes I thought he doesn''t look that great I hope there is more to come. And their two centres backs possibly thought, blimey we are a bit over manned back here tonight. Think he may also have done a, now trademark, spurning of a good chance early in the second half

Saw nothing in that game to suggest he would be any more effective against championship defences.

Yes I would like him to come good at Norwich, be our new hero. But my head says it is not going to happen.

Our support has actually been very tolerant towards him, even defensive, in the hope that he will come good. Michael Turner was not given such latitude at the start of last season!!

He certainly won''t be getting sold, no club would pay what we would want. So yes he will either play in the championship or get loaned out for the season.

He is our player, we paid a lot of money for him, I doubt very much that there will be a queue desperate to buy him.As long as he has a paycut relegation clause in his contract, I see no reason why he shouldn''t stay. Who knows, he may find his feet, and we will be glad we were patient with him.

Manc and one or two others, whilst making some very fair points ,are answering a slightly different question to the one asked by the OP.ie they are suggesting that the club may not wish to avail themselves of Mr V Wolfswinkel''s services in the Champ next season, for whatever reason...football or financial. Fair enough, it might be the best thing for all concerned.But what the OP asked was whether RvW would be happy to play Champ football, which is a different matter completely . Who knows ? He may or may not, but my take on it would be that, a year ago he said that he was keen to try his skills in the English game. If that remains the case, then as I say, he''d do a lot worse than stay, if for no other reason that I really cannot see a PL club being prepared to risk signing him bearing his dismal record this season.

like another poster says, it depends on how much he wants to play in the premier league, we are his only hope for that, if not i''m sure he''ll go to a European club for around £4-5m, they''ll be lining up I would have thought despite playing terribly this year

[quote user="mrs miggins"]like another poster says, it depends on how much he wants to play in the premier league, we are his only hope for that, if not i''m sure he''ll go to a European club for around £4-5m, they''ll be lining up I would have thought despite playing terribly this year[/quote]You think anyone will pay 4-5 million for him based on the stinker of a season he has just had?

AidanC - let Wolf play Championship Football if he wishes but not for us I hope,

We''ll make our money back off the continent, piece of p*ss. I hope he''d stay with us, because I think he''d score a lot of goals for us down there, assuming his confidence came back, but I think we''ll recoup our money and go with someone more tested.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="mrs miggins"]like another poster says, it depends on how much he wants to play in the premier league, we are his only hope for that, if not i''m sure he''ll go to a European club for around £4-5m, they''ll be lining up I would have thought despite playing terribly this year[/quote]You think anyone will pay 4-5 million for him based on the stinker of a season he has just had?[/quote]Fair point Morty, but there are always some clubs/managers with more money than sense ! I agree , if we can unearth one such club, then I''d get shot of him toot sweet.. But, as you say, it''s not likely, particularly as , the top clubs aside, the continent is not renowned for paying silly fees/wages.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="mrs miggins"]like another poster says, it depends on how much he wants to play in the premier league, we are his only hope for that, if not i''m sure he''ll go to a European club for around £4-5m, they''ll be lining up I would have thought despite playing terribly this year[/quote]You think anyone will pay 4-5 million for him based on the stinker of a season he has just had?[/quote]They probably will have to pay around that figure just to pay his contract up, so yes.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="mrs miggins"]like another poster says, it depends on how much he wants to play in the premier league, we are his only hope for that, if not i''m sure he''ll go to a European club for around £4-5m, they''ll be lining up I would have thought despite playing terribly this year[/quote]You think anyone will pay 4-5 million for him based on the stinker of a season he has just had?[/quote]They probably will have to pay around that figure just to pay his contract up, so yes.[/quote]I like Ricky, and desperately hope he comes good, but if it was your money, would you pay 4 or 5 million for him?

We took a gamble on him really, so yes, there will be someone willing to gamble at half the price we paid.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="mrs miggins"]like another poster says, it depends on how much he wants to play in the premier league, we are his only hope for that, if not i''m sure he''ll go to a European club for around £4-5m, they''ll be lining up I would have thought despite playing terribly this year[/quote]You think anyone will pay 4-5 million for him based on the stinker of a season he has just had?[/quote]They probably will have to pay around that figure just to pay his contract up, so yes.[/quote]I like Ricky, and desperately hope he comes good, but if it was your money, would you pay 4 or 5 million for him?[/quote]No I wouldn''t on the basis of his performances, but he has a long contract left with the club and my understanding is that transfer fees always include paying off the remainder of any contract (or an negotiated payment anyway) so I''d wager that we would receive at least 4 or 5 million for him due to that.Because of that, I don''t think we''ll be able to sell him, I have no doubt he will be on loan at a Greek/Turkish team next season (unless for some reason we miraculously stay up).

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="mrs miggins"]like another poster says, it depends on how much he wants to play in the premier league, we are his only hope for that, if not i''m sure he''ll go to a European club for around £4-5m, they''ll be lining up I would have thought despite playing terribly this year[/quote]You think anyone will pay 4-5 million for him based on the stinker of a season he has just had?[/quote]They probably will have to pay around that figure just to pay his contract up, so yes.[/quote]I like Ricky, and desperately hope he comes good, but if it was your money, would you pay 4 or 5 million for him?[/quote]No I wouldn''t on the basis of his performances, but he has a long contract left with the club and my understanding is that transfer fees always include paying off the remainder of any contract (or an negotiated payment anyway) so I''d wager that we would receive at least 4 or 5 million for him due to that.Because of that, I don''t think we''ll be able to sell him, I have no doubt he will be on loan at a Greek/Turkish team next season (unless for some reason we miraculously stay up).[/quote]Yes, I agree that a loan is actually more likely than selling him, but the same applies really, would you take on a (comparatively) highly paid footballer, on loan for the season, based on his record this season?I think he''ll stay. And if we can buy a big lump of a target man for him to play off, I reckon he could do okay, and hopefully rebuild his confidence.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]No I wouldn''t on the basis of his performances, but he has a long contract left with the club and my understanding is that transfer fees always include paying off the remainder of any contract (or an negotiated payment anyway) so I''d wager that we would receive at least 4 or 5 million for him due to that.Because of that, I don''t think we''ll be able to sell him, I have no doubt he will be on loan at a Greek/Turkish team next season (unless for some reason we miraculously stay up).[/quote]Interesting, Star. I really cannot see him attracting one of their top sides (the Olympiakos, AEK, Galatasarays, Fenherbaçes of this world). Beyond that, I honestly would not say that it''s any better than the Championship, nor would he get paid as much.Your point about the contract is a fair one, but it''s not unknown for contracts to be rescinded by mutual consent, is it ?

A season in the Championship wouldn''t do any of our players any harm. It''s a tough league to play in and none of them are "above it".

That''s not to say that none of them are up to playing in the Premier League either but we don''t have anyone at the moment who is outstandingly too good to drop down.

Even if the players themselves aren''t pushing hard for moves I''m sure most of their agents will be so there''s sure to be a few departures but I''d like to see the likes of RVW and Fer stick around to prove themselves.

[quote user="GJP"]

A season in the Championship wouldn''t do any of our players any harm. It''s a tough league to play in and none of them are "above it".

That''s not to say that none of them are up to playing in the Premier League either but we don''t have anyone at the moment who is outstandingly too good to drop down.

Even if the players themselves aren''t pushing hard for moves I''m sure most of their agents will be so there''s sure to be a few departures but I''d like to see the likes of RVW and Fer stick around to prove themselves.

[/quote]Unfortunately I think you won''t see Fer for dust.

[quote user="morty"]Yes, I agree that a loan is actually more likely than selling him, but the same applies really, would you take on a (comparatively) highly paid footballer, on loan for the season, based on his record this season?I think he''ll stay. And if we can buy a big lump of a target man for him to play off, I reckon he could do okay, and hopefully rebuild his confidence.[/quote]I think a European team would take a gamble on him because he did have pedigree before he signed for us.I hope he stays because I want him to prove us all wrong, but I just can''t see it happening.Reggie, your point about a mutual agreement is very true, and that could be a deciding factor.  I''m of the opinion that Ricky probably feels very unloved by a section of the fans and would rather be somewhere else now anyway.