Sign in to follow this  
Brightside

Just how bad has this season been?

In terms of potential v end result this has to be pretty much one of the poorest seasons City have had, certainly in the last 10 years or so?

Ok we''ve not dropped into the third tier like 2009 but in 2009 we didn''t have our most expensive ever squad or were debt free. Seasons under Worthington, Grant and Roeder were bad but I argue that there was not the potential of this year.

For me, the potential of this year was massive. Following our 11th place finish and summer purchases I felt our Premiership survival was pretty much guaranteed. Before you start I know we are not down yet but does anyone really expect us to beat Chelsea and Arsenal based on our season so far?

There won''t be much in it between survival and the drop and quite a few teams will be able to say that as well as us this season.

For me, the bummer was the home defeat to WBA as we rightfully anticipated a three pointer and ended that week pointless and without Hughton and his cohorts.

In retrospect we would be in a reasonable position now with plus three to our tally and although you cannot pin-point any single game over the course of the whole season it was this defeat that started to put the wind up me. Was this one of those games where we hit the woodwork a few times? Never much in it IMO although the doom-mongers and blame seekers make out as if the whole thing has been an absolute disaster from start to finish. There have been many disappointments, especially in the striking department, but we were still only one win away from staying up IMO.

The biggest let-down for me was CH''s continued defensive approach even after the Summer''s signings. Most of us accepted this as a necessity during his first season  I feel, but when it became clear that the man could not approach things in any other way he should have been shipped out.

I agree completely about the WBA defeat.  We''ve heard repeatedly that Hughton always pulled out a result when he/we needed it, but that game was the crucial game of our season so far, the one when we really needed a result, and we lost. 

If we''d won, we''d now be on 35 points, equal with Villa except on GD, and with 4 teams below us.  We''d certainly not be safe but we''d have a very realistic chance of survival.  And that''s the frustration about Hughton''s tenure.

Any reasonable thinking person would be hard-pressed to think of anything positive to say about this season, certainly on the football side. At least the last time we were relegated from the Prem there were games like the 4-4 v Middlesborough and the brief upturn near the end of the season to remember fondly. This season you can count the positives on the fingers of one hand.....the low points need both hands and both feet. Yorky above has been pretty generous with his 2/10 for entertainment, and the only truly outstanding result was the Spurs home victory, though I suppose 0-0 v Citeh was good.To try and put some reasonably positive spin on the whole sorry fiasco, I guess that the club , in dispensing belatedly with the services of Hughton and his henchmen has hopefuly learnt the painful lesson of employing managers whose football ethic is based on tedious defensive football, not playing to people''s strengths and a cynical disregard for the traditions of our great club. One can only hope that such an appointment is never made again.

Some players playing consistently below their potential.

Some players not premiership standard.

Some can''t be bothered.

End result - very poor, with one or two exceptions. On the general run of things, we deserve to go down.

If you ask some possibly mentally challenged people like Robert Brampton and Jenkins, it hasn''t been bad at all! IT was a complete success with magnificent performances that everyone can get behind. The team just ran rampant over everyone and performed amazingly game in and game out. Hooper was just one of the best strikers in the PL, with RvW right behind...

It was a really awful season with the potential for us to finish completely bottom of the table,. That''s how bad,.

next season will probably be even worsewe will be rebuilding the squad, players will need time to gel, with a new manager, one who should be in the job already allowing him to plan for next season but instead we are in limbowe will do well to finish in the top 12could be league 1 again

Dont talk so wet......

Yer there will be a few players in and out but the majority will stay.

Bunn, Martin, Whittaker, Olsson, Garrido, Turner, R.Bennett, E.Bennett, Redmond, Pilkington, Howson, Johnson, Becchio, Hooper will probably be staying.

[quote user="Hughtons Anti Football"]Dont talk so wet......

Yer there will be a few players in and out but the majority will stay.

Bunn, Martin, Whittaker, Olsson, Garrido, Turner, R.Bennett, E.Bennett, Redmond, Pilkington, Howson, Johnson, Becchio, Hooper will probably be staying.[/quote]

Pilkington will be off. Why do you not think he''s played much for us since January?

Wouldn''t be surprised if Olsson gets snapped up! Maybe a promoted side.

And that is already pretty strong squad for the top end of the Championship, will be interesting to see who we add as signings, v who gets promoted from U21 team.

Relegation is always a possibility for a dozen sides in the Prem.

I didn''t expect us to have a dynasty and aren''t ready to sulk all summer long over our demise.

But I am seething that I don''t believe we would be in trouble with a different approach from the start of the season.

If Hughton was told keep us up by the board then that is inexcusable.

If he thought that to achieve that then he could defend that with the likes of Turner and Bassong then that is inexcusable.

We have no right to Prem status and that has to be earned. And the point of being in the Prem is because you are playing good entertaining attacking football that at least gives the supporters something to go home happy with.

A total waste of two years I''m afraid.

[quote user="Surfer"]And that is already pretty strong squad for the top end of the Championship, will be interesting to see who we add as signings, v who gets promoted from U21 team.[/quote]

It includes Turner and Hooper. Yeah, that isn''t a strong side even for Championship when those 2 are on your team.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Relegation is always a possibility for a dozen sides in the Prem.

I didn''t expect us to have a dynasty and aren''t ready to sulk all summer long over our demise.

But I am seething that I don''t believe we would be in trouble with a different approach from the start of the season.

If he thought that to achieve that then he could defend that with the likes of Turner and Bassong then that is inexcusable.

We have no right to Prem status and that has to be earned. And the point of being in the Prem is because you are playing good entertaining attacking football that at least gives the supporters something to go home happy with.

A total waste of two years I''m afraid.[/quote]

Bassong was on the field for 10 of 11 clean sheets, he sure is awful...

There''s been worse but it has been a big, big disappointment.Relegation is always a possibility for a club like ours but I wish we''d shown a bit more fight and flair getting there. Someone on here mentioned the Prem season under Worthington. Now that was exciting.....dead and buried then a great late fightback which only just failed.Perhaps if the Board had acted sooner and dispensed with Chris Hughton we might at least have seen some more exciting football but we''ll never know. Mr McNally''s assertion that Hughton was the '' best in class '' makes you wonder what the others would have been like.The Premier League is where it''s '' at '' but it''ll be nice to see us win a few games again and put a bit of joy back into the spectators. It''s been grim.

The disappointment for me has been the style and nature of the performances rather than the results.  I''m just a fan, or maybe a "consumer", so I don''t want to think too much about things like balance sheets and financial implications, but when we spend millions in the summer on attacking players then I wanted to see us occasionally attack without fear and look confident that we believed we could win.  Dull and timid football was not what I was anticipating.

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]Relegation is always a possibility for a dozen sides in the Prem.

A total waste of two years I''m afraid.[/quote]

Bassong was on the field for 10 of 11 clean sheets, he sure is awful...[/quote]

11 clean sheets and we are still going to be relegated. Not really a stat to be proud of.

And I''m sorry but I think Bassong is dreadful and one of the poorest centre backs we have had in many a year. I do take the trouble to watch things off the ball and he is simply awful and puts others in trouble.

In fact, I keep reading that we have assembled the best ever Norwich squad.

The 2004-5 squad may not have had as much depth but the starting eleven is far superior to the current one. Poor old Fleming and Doc used to get some stick but I would take that pairing over the current partnership any day.