Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

Real passion from relegated Rovers

Relegation has really hurt the Bristolians, I wonder if we''ll see similar scenes next weekend after the Arsenal game?

Will our board be on the receiving end of a fans backlash? Five points clear of the drop and they decide to sack the manager, just three games later and we''re three points adrift. The pundits were right, weren''t they?

Only if you think Hughton would have got more points... personally I think there''d be no change barring a bigger negative goal difference.Just look at the previous 10 or so games... no evidence to support a revival. Go back further and still no consistency - this has been a long time coming and shouldn''t surprise anyone. We simply haven''t been good enough.

The pundits were not correct. With Sunderlandsrun of form we were going down whoever the manager was. It was Hughtons management that got us into an impossible position to get out off. It was well documented that by the last 4 fixtures we needed to be safe, we weren''t.

I assume you can''t make too many games at the Carra (Not a criticism Paul just assuming a fact)

but the football under Hoots was dire.

The likes of Poyet has had time. Adams was a last shot of the dice by the board and they are the main culprits. Of course we can''t be sure if retaining Hughton would have made any difference but I''m glad we got rid. It made painful watching and then listening to Hughton''s after match comments was twisting the knife. There has followed the comments of lack of fitness and players so restricted to defensive formats that it would take more than a few games to get them out of the habit.

So - No the pundits were not right, as usual they spout on without any facts but yes the board have a lot to answer for continual procrastination.

I haven''t been to a game since the Play-Off final Bury.

How were the pundits not right? They seem to have been fairly close to the mark.

All these excuses about "time" and "habits" is just that, excuses. The hard truth is that there has been no tangible improvement since the sacking. All the "just take the brakes off" and "let them play their own game, stop worrying about the opposition" and "we''ve got the bullets but the manager can''t load the gun" has so far appeared to be poppycock.

If you want to promote an argument allowing for time and players being so used to a certain format, then the only sensible option would have been to keep Hoots until the end of the season and change then as, like it or not, playing in "that" style earned us all 32 points we currently have and the players knew his methods.

........ and NO again OP. We would have lost 6-0 at home to Liverpool and probably 7-0 away at Old Trafford.

Reckon Houghton would have got us a point at Fulham but nothing else would be different.  No predicting the run Sundelrand have put together.I hadn''t realised "real passion" equated to hooliganism and thuggery?

[quote user="Snoots"]........ and NO again OP. We would have lost 6-0 at home to Liverpool and probably 7-0 away at Old Trafford.[/quote]

Oh, right. Hi Meg, can you tell me the correct score for tomorrow? At least we can all make a few quid, hey!?

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Reckon Houghton would have got us a point at Fulham but nothing else would be different.  No predicting the run Sundelrand have put together.I hadn''t realised "real passion" equated to hooliganism and thuggery?[/quote]

It doesn''t. Probably a bad choice of words. But you could see how much it mattered to them and they left the board in no doubt as to who they felt was responsible.

Violence etc is obviously beyond the pale and has no place in football.

Northampton fans celebrating like they''d won the cup. Wycombe fans likewise. Raven''s Rovers fans wanting to blame and fight their club in disgraceful scenes. Such small margins. If one result in the whole season had been different would they have been celebrating like they''d won the cup?

In other news I see the Toon Army left after 69 minutes because 1969 was their last major trophy. They thought that was original but ours have been leaving on 85 minutes most of the season.

The thing is Paul and I''m sorry to be a bit pedantic but you really had to watch our games in person to appreciate how dire it has been. Watching all the home games has made me sick to the stomach and the wonderful away support we have? Try asking them what they thought of Hughton.

You obviously dont agree with the ''players get into bad habits'' Well they do and ex players have confirmed that in the city. I suggest you study the revival of Sunderland.

In fact the Fulham game and most of the Liverpool game there was a marked improvement. The Man U game just looked like a Hughton coached side hence the expert view re bad habits.

The villains have been the board. I hope we get more info re the November meeting when there was a split in those wanting Hughton out then. Those who voted to keep him need to give an explanation. Nah - we will never know but it will be interesting to hear the collective board announcement as to what they plan for the future. The most important decision will be the new manager appointment. I pray they don''t go down the old parochial road!!

Did you watch that great Sunderland team at Carrow Road?

I gently suggest that you probably only see what you want to or what you think you should.

There was no marked improvement at Fulham, we were largely hopeless, the second half especially, completely devoid of ideas and never looked like equalising. As for Liverpool, the game was over at 12.10 and despite showing some fight, they won at a canter. Man United was the same old story of us looking ok until we go behind. Nothing has changed. There has been no improvement, we couldn''t have less points if they''d left Hughton in charge, the only plus has been that the fans have stuck behind the team. The first half performances at home to Liverpool and away to Fulham would have seen them booed off for certain under Hughton.

All that''s really been proven is that the players aren''t up to it and that all those that said we had the players but the manager was holding them back were talking balderdash. Adams has come in and for all his "intent" in the pressers has set up just like Hughton did. Still plays Snodgrass on the right, just like Hughton did. Our most creative player can''t get a game on the bench now, Hughton at least had him involved.

He''s still got two games to get it right of course but I don''t suppose any of us are holding our breath.

As for the board being the villains? Maybe, if you need a scapegoat. Hughton will cop the most flak though. It was fan reaction that hammered in the final nail, perhaps with hindsight paying too much attention to what the fans wanted will prove to be their biggest mistake. Others will argue that they should have listened to a noisy minority earlier. The error could be Adams, could we have found someone better? The fans left the board with little choice in regard to Hughton, he had to go after WBA.

All I can be sure of is that I''d have had more confidence going into these games under Hughton than I do under Adams but that I hope Adams proves me wrong, I really, really hope he proves me wrong.

[quote user="Tubby Two Seats"]I haven''t been to a game since the Play-Off final Bury

When were Ipswich in a play off final ??

f8cking binners infecting this forum make me want to vomit ![/quote]

In the year 2000. They beat Barnsley in the final.

What makes you think I''m a binner tubby-two-seats?

Good grief. We were shot after we lost hoots last must win game v WBA. We were down the players gave up and the fans turned on the club. All that follows has been a face saving exercise and gave hoots a chance to leave via the back door rather than being dragged out of CR by a pitch fork wielding mob. Anyone who thinks we would''ve been anything other than humiliated in our remaining 5 games is living in cloud cuckoo land.

[quote user="Hughtonanny"]Good grief. We were shot after we lost hoots last must win game v WBA. We were down the players gave up and the fans turned on the club. All that follows has been a face saving exercise and gave hoots a chance to leave via the back door rather than being dragged out of CR by a pitch fork wielding mob. Anyone who thinks we would''ve been anything other than humiliated in our remaining 5 games is living in cloud cuckoo land.[/quote]We''ll never know now though, will we?And I think that truly rankles with some folks.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Northampton fans celebrating like they''d won the cup. Wycombe fans likewise. Raven''s Rovers fans wanting to blame and fight their club in disgraceful scenes. Such small margins. If one result in the whole season had been different would they have been celebrating like they''d won the cup?

In other news I see the Toon Army left after 69 minutes because 1969 was their last major trophy. They thought that was original but ours have been leaving on 85 minutes most of the season.

[/quote]that was funny [:D]

Ha ha, yes I think it rankles those who thought Hughton should''ve stayed to the bitter end but not those who are glad to see the back of him.

[quote user="Hughtonanny"]Ha ha, yes I think it rankles those who thought Hughton should''ve stayed to the bitter end but not those who are glad to see the back of him.[/quote]Technically it will be Adams that will take us down[Y]

My golf mate is a Gashead and I have just had a round of golf with him this morning and naturally the talk was about being at the bottom.

And we were poles apart in our problems.

Bristol Rovers are out of league football. Little or no TV money. The prospect of even less through the turnstiles to boost the coffers. Planning permission for a new ground but little money to invest in it. And mid week trips to grounds the fans have never heard of.

We are going down to the Championship with £24M to spend. We will have 23 home games. We will have 25K gates. We will have two local derbies.

It is hardly a comparison. We have to look at this as merely a setback but a better than even chance that we will see some entertaining and rewarding football next season. Its all about perspective.

Those supporters who want NCFC in the Prem at all costs may have to wait but those want just want to follow City and been entertained as we have for so many years now will soon come to terms with our position.