Sign in to follow this  
Gruffnuts

Team vs Chelsea

I think the team needs freshening up a bit from the team that''s been picked over the last few games. I''d go 4231

Ruddy

Martin Turner. Yobo. Olsson

Johnson. Tettey

Snoddy. Fer. Redmond

Elmander

Freshening up and you''re sticking with Johnson in midfield?

Yeah. I think he has the energy and work Rate that we are going to need. Also I don''t think that you will argue that we need to be more defensive than last week? So I think we Should go with Tettey and Johnson. Also don''t think that Howson has been the Same player he was since coming back from injury so don''t see the harm in leaving him out.

Generally you can''t fault his work rate but he''s still too slow with and without the ball and he''s prone to giving it away cheaply.

I think if you play both Johnson and Tettey you''re obviously going to end up sitting really deep and inviting Chelsea on to you and it''ll only be a matter of time until they score. And you''ve got little out there to cause Chelsea problems.

I''d prefer to see Tettey, Fer and Howson. That way you''ve got numbers in the middle but you''ve got greater potential to do something going forward. When Howson doesn''t play in the centre of midfield his pace is always really missed - more than people realise, in my opinion.

The team I want to see is a team with 11 players who really care and are committed to the cause.

Ruddy

Martin (c), Yobo, Turner, Olsson

E Bennett, Johnson, Tettey, Snoddy

Elmander, Loza.

Bench: Any seven who have put in a shift during training this week and want it, if this includes some more of the youngsters, so be it, make a name for yourselves lads.

Not too sure how I would set them up, but as long as they do their job to the best of their ability with the right attitude, which means all tracking back with the Chelsea runners, something some of our players seem to think was below them in some of our recent matches, I will be happy, whatever the outcome. I will never criticise lack of ability but I will criticise poor attitude.

451 and 442 has not worked and we need a result.

To score we need more players forward, Chelsea tend to play narrow and attack wide with fullbacks, hence I would gamble with the below;

Ruddy

Turner            Martin          Bassong

Tettey            Johnson

Snodgrass                                    Howson/Fer                            Olsson

Hooper             Elmander

ruddy

martin yobo bennett

whittaker ollson

tetty howson fer

snodgrass

hooper

passion a very over rated concept in my opinion, those same committed players v liverpool were all awful against man u - something that has happened again and again.

We have to trust in quality and play the best players for the position and team, which for me means

Ruddy

Martin Yobo Turner Olsson

Tettey

Snodgrass Howson Fer Jonas

RvW

Jonas preferred on the left as we need to stay level if poss until half time, and pilks a shadow of last seasons player.

Redmond unlucky to be dropped, defended better than most last week, only player to successfully take on a player and end product no worse than any other player, snoddy only keeps his place not for effort (a classic example if that "passion" does not win you the ball back more, help keep possession or create chances or slows down our attacks etc- he is no more effective than either redmond or fer on those things) but because his is most likely to score.

Johnson ahead of any of fer tettey or howson is simply compounding a basic mistake

Zipper,

We are obviously at odds on this point. There is little difference in ability between most of our players, there is however a massive difference in attitude between the most committed and the least committed. You can have all the skill in the world but if you cannot be ar$ed to track back, then you are pretty much as good as useless, or a liability, unless you can guarantee creating opportunities via defence splitting passes or banging in goals of your own, which our midfield isn''t doing to the level required.

You can talk the talk but then you need to walk the walk, or as I prefer to say, "What you do can speak so loudly I cannot hear what you say."

The difference in ability between our players can probaly be measured in single figure percentages, but even if it were 20%, if the player with the most ability has a poor attitude then the player with the top notch attitude will outperform him. There are many examples of players from all teams, who are not as naturally as gifted as others but they are one of the first names on the team sheet, One from our recent past, Grant Holt, not the most gifted CF but made up for this with his passion.

The people that think Michael Turner is a better CB than Bassong are hilarious. Or even think the guy can remotely play in the PL. Worst CB in past 10 years to EVER play a game in the PL.

Turner is better than Bassong, at least Turner actually gives a shit unlike Bassong.

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Fer Tettey

E.Bennett Howson Snodgrass

Hooper

And that giving a * leads to teams scoring 3-4 on us regularly solely for the fact he is playing. He is awful. Bassong is 80x the player whether he cares to play or not.

you not seen bassong this season then ?

that goal v swansea

that OG v Villa

that pen he gave away v Stoke

that chance he gifted adebayor

If he was 80x the player Turner is i dont think we could afford to leave him out.

Turner is a good old fashioned centre half, get in where it hurt, chucks himself in front of anything.

Bassong thinks hed a good ball playing centre half, pique ish, and he really isnt, too laid back and faffing about with the ball, an accident waiting to happen. consistantly making nistames week after week.

He chucks himself at anything solely for the fact that he consistently loses whoever he is marking leaving them wide open 3 yards behind him so his only option is to desperately throw himself at a ball/player. He also is awful in the air as he can''t mark anyone and consistently ball watches. You get that Bassong has been in the lineup 10 of 11 Clean Sheets right?

[quote user="jaemae2"]The people that think Michael Turner is a better CB than Bassong are hilarious. Or even think the guy can remotely play in the PL. Worst CB in past 10 years to EVER play a game in the PL.[/quote]

I know.

Only truly terrible defenders like Michael Turner play 6 consecutive seasons in the Premier League.

Only truly terrible defenders like Michael Turner are voted Player Of The Season by their teammates.

You are so right.

I think one or two surprises and go with;

(GK),Ruddy

(RB) Martin (c), (CB) Turner & Bennett, (LB) Whittaker

(Midfeld) Snoddy, Johnson,Tettey, Howson. Olsson,

(Up Front) Elmander

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="jaemae2"]The people that think Michael Turner is a better CB than Bassong are hilarious. Or even think the guy can remotely play in the PL. Worst CB in past 10 years to EVER play a game in the PL.[/quote]

I know.

Only truly terrible defenders like Michael Turner play 6 consecutive seasons in the Premier League.

Only truly terrible defenders like Michael Turner are voted Player Of The Season by their teammates.

You are so right.

[/quote]

Plenty of crap people can play in the Premier league. Gary Hooper did all year long. Glen Whelan has played in the PL for multiple years. That means nothing.

Turner is garbage and literally the worst CB to play in the PL the past 10 years. He''s proven it time and time again.

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="GJP"]

I know.

You are so right.

[/quote]

Plenty of crap people can play in the Premier league. Gary Hooper did all year long. Glen Whelan has played in the PL for multiple years. That means nothing.

Turner is garbage and literally the worst CB to play in the PL the past 10 years. He''s proven it time and time again.[/quote]

And you have proven time and time again you are a complete salty paste chewer and know nothing about football!

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="GJP"]

I know.

You are so right.

[/quote]

Turner is garbage and literally the worst CB to play in the PL the past 10 years. He''s proven it time and time again.[/quote]

And you have proven time and time again you are a complete salty paste chewer and know nothing about football![/quote]

If you think Turner is a PL caliber CB you might not want to throw insults about intelligence or football knowledge around...

What ever team selection and formation means we park two buses and scrape a point or three will do me, any other strategy will equal a guaranteed tonking.............thats how the "special one" would approach this game if the boot was on the other foot and thats exactly what we should do too. 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]What ever team selection and formation means we park two buses and scrape a point or three will do me, any other strategy will equal a guaranteed tonking.............thats how the "special one" would approach this game if the boot was on the other foot and thats exactly what we should do too. [/quote]

Exactly right.

I''d start Elmander as lone front man - just to hold it up.

Pack the midfield. E Bennett one wing, Redmond the other.

Try and hold them out and hit them fast on the counter on the wings.

And no, that''s not Hughton tactics. He''d play for a point, but would have no pace in the team to enable us to get that point. Or even snatch a win.

St Georgey wrote the following post at 03/05/2014 7:14 AM:

Dubai Mark wrote:
What ever team selection and formation means we park two buses and scrape a point or three will do me, any other strategy will equal a guaranteed tonking.............thats how the "special one" would approach this game if the boot was on the other foot and thats exactly what we should do too.

Exactly right.

I''d start Elmander as lone front man - just to hold it up.

Pack the midfield. E Bennett one wing, Redmond the other.

Try and hold them out and hit them fast on the counter on the wings.

And no, that''s not Hughton tactics. He''d play for a point, but would have no pace in the team to enable us to get that point. Or even snatch a win.

I can go along with this. If we are going to try to hold out we must give them something to think about and that must be pace.

I would even go as far as to say that if Elliot Bennett is not match fit yet I would play Murphy.

We must have pace for the breakaway in this game as we are not going to be able to build meaningful slower attacks against the quality we will be facing.

Ruddy

Martin Yobo Turner Ollson

Bennett Tettey Fer Johnson Redmond

Elmander

If Bennett is not fit enough, Murphy with both wide men switching constantly.

Snodgrass could come into one of the centre three positions but he has not played there much for us and it would be unknown how he would perform.