Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

New Manager

Adams was on mission impossible. One or two other managers are now beginning top show progress, - e.g. Poyet, but it has taken them many games to impose their style on their squads.

Adams had just five games, and four of them bordering on the impossible. It was a desperate throw of the dice by the club. We shall never know what might have happened under Hughton, but his record suggests nothing better than Adams has achieved.

What we did notice was refreshing difference in selection, although that may be becoming a little rigid now, in tactics and in communication with the media. He has not had many breaks, and his players have let him down more than once.

I would support him getting the job permanently. He would bring on the youngsters and build up a side over time, and also develop his own style of management.

I question if Adams - and I don''t know the answer to this - has the player contacts so necessary in the manager role. On balance, it is my view that we''d be better off with an experienced Championship manager. Adams is potentially one for the future.

I disagree with you salopian on CH''s record suggesting he''d have done no better. We know we''ve under performed most of the season but I can''t help but think a more defensive set up might have been better at Fulham (+ is NA''s choice in defence really the best we have available?). CH was very adept at getting tactics spot-on for the big sides at home, too. We''ll never know, but I feel we might have had at least one more point.

I just am not sure about NA in the role full-time: if we do go down we would have a hell of a lot of business to do - he has no track record at all in front-line management even in terms of being an assistant, so imo it might be too big a step. Malky (et al) have been there and done it , and might be a better bet.

I was against a MM appointment when I was convinced we would stay up, but should we go down, then he does tick most boxes if we are to have a manager who will handle the situation, know the club, has the right sort of experience to bounce us straight back up. But in the unlikely event we stay up, and it is still possible, then we will need and could certainly afford to go for better. As for NA, having taken on the huge challenge, then it would be great to see him play a part in the first team set-up under a new manager, and why not.  

My Shortlist would be

Rosler

Jol

Adkins

Mackay

In that order. I accept the first 2 might be difficult to persuade to come to us but we shouldn''t have a problem with the other 2. We''re a slightly bigger and currently richer club than Reading, and we have a better team so we could temp Adkins away and I''m sure Mackay would jump at the chance to manage us.

In the Championship I wouldn''t consider anyone else, however if we stay up the only one I''d want from that list is Rosler

[quote user="Darth Catbeard The Old"]My Shortlist would be

Rosler

Jol

Adkins

Mackay

In that order. I accept the first 2 might be difficult to persuade to come to us but we shouldn''t have a problem with the other 2. We''re a slightly bigger and currently richer club than Reading, and we have a better team so we could temp Adkins away and I''m sure Mackay would jump at the chance to manage us.

In the Championship I wouldn''t consider anyone else, however if we stay up the only one I''d want from that list is Rosler[/quote]

Certainly if we were looking at UK based candidates (I know Jol is Dutch, but you know what I mean !), I''d not disagree with that list Catbeard. Not sure why Adkins would want to leave Reading to come to another similar Champ club , but there we are. Given that any appointment is something of a gamble, I see Rosler as similar to Lambert. A no-nonsense young, hungry manager who has had some success in the lower leagues and wanting to better himself, though it''s debatable that we''d be that much of a step up from Wigan for him ?People who know far more about this sort of thing than I do are seemingly convinced that  Malky is a shoo-in for the job. I''d agree with others that, had we stayed up, he''d not have been an ideal candidate, but as a Champ club, then he could do a very good job for us.

Rosler wont come here, wanted a move back up north to be with family.

Adkins wouldnt leave a championship for another one surely.

I personally would like Zola or Steve Clarke.

Zola had an excellent 1st season at Watford and was so close to getting promoted, play very good football.

Steve Clarke did such a good job in WBA first season, highest ever prem finish, plays good football, was a little bit unlucky the get the sack.

Malky would do a good job even tho the football wouldnt be overlly amazing.

I think people really do underestimate how good of a coach and man manager Malky Mackay is. You just have to listen to how highly Brendan Rodgers speaks of him. Some people are judging him on the 1 game they saw at Carrow road this season which is unfair. Yeah they were poor but ultimately they still got a point, I can forgive a few off games if you pick up points. This appointment is the toughest yet we need someone to be able to take us straight back up but also we need to look further ahead and have the same manager to keep us up the following season. The only 2 managers i would be looking at is Nigel Adkins (nearly got the job before Paul Lambert) or Malky.

Well Malky would be far from the best appointment because so many are against him already , and the trouble with hiring him is if we were ever to make it back to the top flight we would need a new manager because no way is Malky ever going to cut it in the top flight , Cardiff would still be going down if he had stayed .Lower league manager and the most boring appointment we could make , may as well have kept Hughton , in fact we would be better off if we had .Still Delia will never learn so as long as she owns the club you can expect managers to get the job on the back of friendships or religion .

we don''t need a someone who is good in the championship we need someone who is going to take us out of the championship and hold his own in the premier huge ask and I don''t know who but malky in my opinion would get us up then be short in the premier sounds like I think it will be easy to get up again I don''t but when / if we do be nice to have that team playing to a successful system again like dare I say when we came up last time

I think it''s a choice between someone committed to playing the Norwich way or someone just to get us promoted. Going for the former would rule out most of the candidates already mentioned and such managers tend to be harder to find.Going for the home grown managers like Stringer and Walker, who were already well-schooled in the Norwich way of playing, meant that we didn''t need to go out and find managers who could play that style (there weren''t many who could back then). It helped give us a continuity which made us successful in the 80''s and early 90''s.What I fear if we get someone from outside who doesn''t play the Norwich way (eg Clarke, Mackay) is that we''ll perpetually be changing style, going through coaches and assistants as managers come and go, and end up (again) going nowhere for the next 20 odd years.If we don''t give the job to Adams then I reckon we ought to choose someone who''s committed to proper Norwich football, and try and get them to work with the coaches we have here already.The question is, who else is out there who plays a traditional Norwich-style pure passing game apart from Rosler or Cook?

CanaryOne said

Still Delia will never learn so as long as she owns the club you can expect managers to get the job on the back of friendships or religion.

I so hope you are wrong CO but I fear you''ve hit the jackpot

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]CanaryOne said

Still Delia will never learn so as long as she owns the club you can expect managers to get the job on the back of friendships or religion.

I so hope you are wrong CO but I fear you''ve hit the jackpot[/quote]

Whatever it is she''s done she seems to have a pretty good record compared to similar clubs..

Anybody know what the contract situation is with McKay - I didn''t think that he had settled yet?I suspect that a lot of the people mentioned here (Lennon, Jol) won''t be interested now we''re outside Premiership.

Whoever it is we need them in quick to get the players in they need ready for pre season. Should be someone with experience of the championship and knows what it takes to get out of it. Don''t need any messing around until late July then some half baked signings and little time to bed in players and tactics. We are a good proposition-have the finance and infrastructure-need to go all out and not settle for a nicey nicey appointment.

I still think we''ll go with Adams.

Wiz wrote the following post at 03/05/2014 7:24 PM:

I still think we''ll go with Adams.

A good couple of results in the next two games and it will be defo.

Put a stop to all this picking over the bones stuff.

[quote user="Wiz"]I still think we''ll go with Adams.[/quote]Even though i refuse to criticise Adams as he had an impossible task, appointing him as full time manager would be a ludicrous, tin pot descision of the highest order. So it wouldn''t surprise me if that''s exactly our board do. Still think Mackay is Delia''s wet dream though, and nailed on, if he wants the jobs.

Appointing Adams would be very tinpot and end any chance of promotion for sure , the worry is o the hompage though Adams has the taste for more , reads like a this is what you are getting to me .

[quote user="Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . ."][quote user="Wiz"]I still think we''ll go with Adams.[/quote]Even though i refuse to criticise Adams as he had an impossible task, appointing him as full time manager would be a ludicrous, tin pot descision of the highest order. So it wouldn''t surprise me if that''s exactly our board do. Still think Mackay is Delia''s wet dream though, and nailed on, if he wants the jobs.[/quote]

Its now a different job than the one Adams was given.

He wont be augmenting a side of players he knows, it will be wholsale changes and it has to be as this side dont look good enough to get promotion.

I hope Adam stays and I want the board to get an experienced promotion winning manager wot work with Adams and the rest of the setup to rebuild the team to get promoted next season.

It has to be brutal everyone who wants out needs to be got rid off asap as you can either come right back up .... or go down to league 1 again.

If this means a Neal Warnock type then so be it

Still think Gary Neville would be a good choice. Every time he talks on a Sky game, he talks more sense than all the other pundits i have ever heard put together.

"Mackay or Karl Robinson."

I''d be happy with the former but not that excited, excited but a little nervous about the latter.

I don''t actually think the pool of those available/interested (assuming our relegation) will be as big as some think.

Turning around a relegated team, even with a lot of cash available, is no easy task. As Nutty pointed out there are plenty of recently relegated teams still milling about in varying stages of mediocrity in the Championship...and below.

Whoever he is I hope that hes in place ASP so as to get the team sorted out and prepared well before start of next season, and I hope the board has learnt from their errors of this season. No more 8.5 million strikers that cant score please.!!