Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

The board

Mistakes made? Yes, but that''s easy to point fingers in hindsight. Everyone has an opinion in football and you''ll never please everyone.

But, you get stronger when you learn from your mistakes so there''s no point in seeking their dismissal at this stage. Look at all their great decisions between 2008 and 2011 to get us from League 1 into the Prem in the first place.

To coin a phrase, they''ve earned the right to remain at Carrow Road.

They key of course is learning from what has happened to avoid the same mistakes again.

And their decisions before 2008!!

What is it, one good manager from 8/9!

Don''t think they have got stronger from their mistakes at all!

[quote user="City 2nd"]And their decisions before 2008!!

What is it, one good manager from 8/9!

Don''t think they have got stronger from their mistakes at all![/quote]From the tme Smith and Jones joined the board in 1997 to 2008 they appointed five managers rather than eight or nine. None was a failure, failure for us in the real world being defined as relegation to the third tier. You can argue that Hamilton and Grant were not particularly good choices, but Rioch was a great choice. He had a fantastic management record and the board did very well indeed to attract him. Worthington''s record of success speaks for itself. And Roeder in his first semi-season did the job required, which was to get us out of the relegation zone. He took us from rock-bottom to safety, which was no mean feat. The second season went less well, although we were still not in the relegation zone when he was sacked. But that is two and  a half good choices out of five. A very respectable record for a club that gets to pick from at best the third tier of managers.

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 2014-05-04 6:00 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

And their decisions before 2008!! What is it, one good manager from 8/9! Don''t think they have got stronger from their mistakes at all!

From the tme Smith and Jones joined the board in 1997 to 2008 they appointed five managers rather than eight or nine. None was a failure, failure for us in the real world being defined as relegation to the third tier.

You can argue that Hamilton and Grant were not particularly good choices, but Rioch was a great choice. He had a fantastic management record and the board did very well indeed to attract him. Worthington''s record of success speaks for itself. And Roeder in his first semi-season did the job required, which was to get us out of the relegation zone. He took us from rock-bottom to safety, which was no mean feat. The second season went less well, although we were still not in the relegation zone when he was sacked.

But that is two and a half good choices out of five. A very respectable record for a club that gets to pick from at best the third tier of managers.

Depends how you look at it purple but I question your maths - Walker, Deehan, O''Neil, Megson, Rioch, Hamilton, Worthington, Grant, Roeder, Gunn, Lambert, Hughton and now Adams!

That is more than five! She I would question respectable records against possible nine of those at least. A fantastic management record elsewhere means nothing - Hughton proves the point!

[quote user="City 2nd"]PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 2014-05-04 6:00 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

And their decisions before 2008!! What is it, one good manager from 8/9! Don''t think they have got stronger from their mistakes at all!

From the tme Smith and Jones joined the board in 1997 to 2008 they appointed five managers rather than eight or nine. None was a failure, failure for us in the real world being defined as relegation to the third tier.

You can argue that Hamilton and Grant were not particularly good choices, but Rioch was a great choice. He had a fantastic management record and the board did very well indeed to attract him. Worthington''s record of success speaks for itself. And Roeder in his first semi-season did the job required, which was to get us out of the relegation zone. He took us from rock-bottom to safety, which was no mean feat. The second season went less well, although we were still not in the relegation zone when he was sacked.

But that is two and a half good choices out of five. A very respectable record for a club that gets to pick from at best the third tier of managers.

Depends how you look at it purple but I question your maths - Walker, Deehan, O''Neil, Megson, Rioch, Hamilton, Worthington, Grant, Roeder, Gunn, Lambert, Hughton and now Adams!

That is more than five! She I would question respectable records against possible nine of those at least. A fantastic management record elsewhere means nothing - Hughton proves the point![/quote]

I don''t think your in a good position to question his maths as you said ''before 2008'' and then you''ve included managers appointed after 2008.

[quote user="City 2nd"]PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 2014-05-04 6:00 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

And their decisions before 2008!! What is it, one good manager from 8/9!
Don''t think they have got stronger from their mistakes at all!

That is more than five! She I would question respectable records against possible nine of those at least. A fantastic management record elsewhere means nothing - Hughton proves the point![/quote]No. It is five. From when Smith and Jones joined the board in 1997 up until 2008, which were the dates you chose, it is five.Walker (2nd time), Deehan, O''Neill and Megson were all before, and Gunn, Lambert, Hughton and Adams were all after.

Point taken LOS, but I was trying to list the managers hired during their reign second time round. Should have explained that.

Point taken PC, but Delia and hubby were board members prior to 1996...........her and hubby became majority shareholders after buying out Watling, not trying to be clever, but they were involved with others in the earlier appointments as well as the latter. And I remember Delias words well in respect of Rioch/Hamilton - the dream team.

However I''m not blaming them - it''s always the dynamics of a manager and the team he puts together that brings success. Let''s hope they get it right this time round, whether we stay up or not.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Point taken PC, but Delia and hubby were board members prior to 1996...........her and hubby became majority shareholders after buying out Watling, not trying to be clever, but they were involved with others in the earlier appointments as well as the latter. And I remember Delias words well in respect of Rioch/Hamilton - the dream team.

However I''m not blaming them - it''s always the dynamics of a manager and the team he puts together that brings success. Let''s hope they get it right this time round, whether we stay up or not.[/quote]No they weren''t. They joined the board on November 28, 2006, and became joint owners in 1997. So the first  manager they had any say in appointing was, as I listed, Rioch. They had nothing to do with appointments before then and to say they did is simply false.

Think I just posted this on the wrong thread. No harm in that though because it''s factual so I''n quite happy to repost i9t here...

The board is full of different opinions as many of you search for a scapegoat. Opinions are just that and can''t be wrong. However if you make up stuff to support that opinion then it''s dishonest to say the least.

When Walker was appointed for the second time Delia and MWJ were only minor shareholders on Watling''s board. It wasn''t until December 1997 that he sold his majority shareholding to them. So the first appointment of their era was Rioch. They have since presided over quite a succesful period for the club. 4 seasons of PL football, a play-off final, a Championship win, a League one champs win, another automatic promotion to the PL and 2 relegations. Or 3 if we go down on this occasion. If that''s failure then what about the other clubs some of whom have had massive investment yet haven''t come close to achieving what they have.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Think I just posted this on the wrong thread. No harm in that though because it''s factual so I''n quite happy to repost i9t here...

The board is full of different opinions as many of you search for a scapegoat. Opinions are just that and can''t be wrong. However if you make up stuff to support that opinion then it''s dishonest to say the least.

When Walker was appointed for the second time Delia and MWJ were only minor shareholders on Watling''s board. It wasn''t until December 1997 that he sold his majority shareholding to them. So the first appointment of their era was Rioch. They have since presided over quite a succesful period for the club. 4 seasons of PL football, a play-off final, a Championship win, a League one champs win, another automatic promotion to the PL and 2 relegations. Or 3 if we go down on this occasion. If that''s failure then what about the other clubs some of whom have had massive investment yet haven''t come close to achieving what they have.

[/quote]Noooooo!!!!!!!![:@] See post above, nutty.[:D]