Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Would Pep Guardiola have saved us?

Hear a lot of talk about the last 5 games. Was sacking Hughton then the right decision, was Adams the right man?

Personally I feel that if you make the decision to sack at that point, the man you bring in needs to be able to hit the ground running, he has no time to learn his squad, so it has to be someone internal. Adams really was the only choice once the decision had been made.

But, it probably is of little relevance. People are criticizing Adams saying he''s not up to the job. Probably going to lose all 5. I have no doubt we''d also have lost all 5 under Hughton. So impossible was our position though, I dont believe it matters who was brought in. I dont think even (for arguments sake) if we''d have brought in Pep Guardiola he could have got many points out of those last 5 games.

Realistically our points total ended at the point Hughton was sacked. I dont think even bringing the best manager in the world in at that point would have been likely to change that.

We were relegated as soon as we lost Hughtons last game. Our league position was false as we hadnt played 4 of our hardest games. The signs were there all season, most obviously the inability to score goals. Yet some very important people failed to recognize it. The league table made them blind to the woodworm deep within. By the time we decided to change the manager, it was too late for anyone to save us. So lets give Adams a break and stop implying he has failed at a task that would prove impossible for even the best

I think any criticism of Adams (which, to be fair, I have not seen in any great amounts, although haven''t been particularly active on here recently) is probably aimed at the lack of any real change in the nature of performance as much as the results.

Have we fought any harder? Have we looked more urgent after going a goal down? Have we looked better under him than under Hughton? Not really. I don''t blame him whatsoever for the relegation, I don''t think any clear minded fan would do.

However, is he up for the management job full time? He''s got no managerial credentials and the only way he would have been in with a shout was if we had seen such a drastic improvement in the last 5 games of the season that it was impossible to ignore him. Going on the three games so far, we haven''t seen that. So no, relegation not his fault at all, but still not good enough/experienced enough yet to be full time boss.

(Also, Guardiola would have had no chance. Pulis maybe.)

Guardiola ? he looked bloody useless last tuesday and couldn''t do anything to change the game against real... him and his players looked clueless faced with some decent opposition...Now tony pulis is another matter but of course his brand of football (winning) isn''t what we want is it [:D]