Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Chelsea Vs Norwich - Match Thread

Great performance.

Unfortunately, Sunderland and West Brom only need to play out a draw midweek, and we''re down given goal difference.

It''s Character Forming wrote the following post at 04/05/2014 5:54 PM:

Well at least that''s a point we wouldn''t have got under Hughton.

-------------------------

Another one with a crystal ball. But well done neyul

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Finally Neil got it absolutely right today, well done neil, well done the players. Our job today was still to remain in the league. Good job today, we didn''t lose, now its up to Sunderland[/quote]No striker on the pitch for a must win game , imo that was criminal , may as well of gone down trying our best to stay up but we decided to play for a point that all but mathematically sends us down .

Two good games and one where we went to pieces under Adams. If we play well against Arsenal has he done enough to keep the job?

That was about as good as could be expected.

Norwich created a few chances.....kept the clean sheet magnificently.....probably won''t be enough, but it''s spoilt Chelsea''s day and given Mourinho some of his own medicine.

So, we''re fine until Wednesday when Sunderland play West Brom. If Sunderland get ANYTHING out of that game, we''re relegated. 
All-in-all a fantastic defensive performance with a degree of attacking ability shown. Adams, however, should''ve brought on a striker with 5 minutes left if only to give us the opportunity to win one. Part of me can''t help but fell that Adams did this so he wouldn''t (potentially) lose every single game of his short managerial reign. It might be cynical of me to think that a manager would think about his own stat line rather than giving the team the best opportunity to stay up.   

"No striker on the pitch for a must win game".......

We haven''t got one, or at least one that knows where the back of the net is.........

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Two good games and one where we went to pieces under Adams. If we play well against Arsenal has he done enough to keep the job?[/quote]
It would have to be a pretty convincing win. 
I''m still no sure about Adams. He seems to have a decent tactical understanding of the game, he seems to be able to motivate the players and he seems to be a pretty good coach. I''m just not sure if that''s enough to give him an opportunity at a Championship club.  

Crystal ball? No just watching us playing away against the top teams where Hughton has never got anything.

As for the "criminal" decision to bring on Redmond for Elmander it caused more problems for Chelsea than we''d given them all game until then. Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch what''s happening on the pitch.

If we''d had the penalty we could have won that.

Adams substitution to bring on Redmond for Elmander made sense. Elmander offered no threat in behind, so the Chelsea defence was pressing very high, trying to squeeze the play and win the ball higher up the pitch. Adams, to his credit, noticed this and made the entirely logical decision to bring on our fastest player (Redmond) with instructions to run into that space. Whilst Redmond did get the oppertunity to run in behind a few times (and play a lovely ball into Snodgrass), Cahill and Terry are intelligent defenders. They noticed Redmond''s pace, noticed the psace in behind and dropped alot deeper to prevent Redmond being left through 1-on-1. This had the effect of making Chelsea sit deeper and allowing us a bit more of the ball. It also restricted Redmond who could no longer run in behind to the desired effect. This is where, IMO, Adams made a mistake. As soon as he noticed Redmond wasn''t getting in behind, he should''ve brought on a striker and played Redmond just behind him. That way you have the pace of Redmond forcing their line back as well as a point of reference for attack, someone who will stay central and play in the penalty area. It was probably Adams only mistake and I can''t blame him for taking the point, that may be the point that gets him the job full-time, but it is disappointing as a fan in such a game to not see the manager go for the win, knowing it''s probably the only way we will stay up.  

Do think we should have brought a striker for the last ten at least but still a great performance from players on the pitch. I''m really undecided on Adams would love him to get the job and be a success but that''s my heart not my head. Guess the real question is can we actually attract anyone really decent with a proven track record?

[quote user="24March1985"]Did Mourinho shake hands with our manager or did he just stomp off?[/quote]

I''ve just rewound and he just stomped off.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="mrs miggins"]Finally Neil got it absolutely right today, well done neil, well done the players. Our job today was still to remain in the league. Good job today, we didn''t lose, now its up to Sunderland[/quote]No striker on the pitch for a must win game , imo that was criminal , may as well of gone down trying our best to stay up but we decided to play for a point that all but mathematically sends us down . [/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with Mrs Miggins.