Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Proud but

Dont disagree with Redmond as a striker, but if you''re going to do it, try to encourage Chelsea to push up and then play the long ball, which we didnt really do. You want Redmond running onto a throughball as you know he''ll outpace Cahill and Terry. Elmander did really well today

Because he''s the only attacking player we''ve got with serious pace. The wolf has proven scoring goals in a minor European league doesn''t make you premiership standard.

Absolute correct decision. And for those who continually think Hooper and RVW should have played beside him would do well to remember what happened when this was the case. Perhaps him through the middle with Elmander may have worked but ultimately I believe we''d almost certainly have conceded if we''d done that.

The substitution was absolutely 100% the right call. Elmander was getting scraps and doing a good job of holding it up, but the pure pressure we were under meant nobody was getting up to support him in time. How deep we were essentially made the target man role redundant, so putting the quickest player we have up front instead and trying to run at them was the only way to go.

I believe the management team had a plan to try and withstand pressure for two thirds of the game and then change it with Redmond for Elmander.

I think they believed if we went gung ho for the win from the off then we could be out of it by half time.

I think the move was scripted and it nearly paid off with Redmond creating two chances.

keelansgrandad wrote the following post at 04/05/2014 7:12 PM:

I believe the management team had a plan to try and withstand pressure for two thirds of the game and then change it with Redmond for Elmander.

I think they believed if we went gung ho for the win from the off then we could be out of it by half time.

I think the move was scripted and it nearly paid off with Redmond creating two chances.

Yep it was obvious when the team was announced and you looked at the bench, it was about as good as we could do I think. Well done everybody!

Well done to the team and excellent support from the yellow army. Afraid our season was summed up again by the Å¡evere lack of skill and ideas up front which ultimately has been our undoing this season.

I thought Adams got the tactics right and brought on Redmond at the correct time. A late breakaway goal was really our only option. Interesting to see Ryan Bennett was a useful alternative with his long throws. Why did the previous coaching staff never recognise this !!

Overall a gutsy performance but I am afraid the quality of our football throughout the game clearly showed why we will be relegated. The passing was dreadful and only one penetrating ball played for the whole of the match. Numerous short suicidal balls and possession conceded time and time again. A lot of passing back again. Little running off the ball and general lack of pace throughout the team. In terms of quality we have been in gradual decline from the day Hughton arrived, and in his tenure I cannot think of any player who has improved. Most of them have gone backwards.

We probably have the players to perform decently in the Championship but we need much improved management and coaching staff.

Vos - I can agree with that.

I also felt the substitution was the right one, at the right time.

Nevertheless I would have added another striker for the last five or ten minutes.

I know that would have been dangerous but I feel the risk would have been worth it. Remember, Chelsea were also looking for the win so they would not have been over defensive.

Unfortunately after the result this leaves West Brom safe and they are the team going to Sunderland for their next game, I feel it will all be over on Wednesday.

Sad days.

Spot on YW - we surely needed to try for a goal in the last ten, rather than seeing out the game.

We knew going into the match that a draw confirmed WBA''s safety and left Sunderland needing to lose their remaining two games, both at home, for us to have a chance....surely this suggested that we had to go for the win at the death?

Elmander put in a great shift up front but could see the reasons behind bringing Redmond on, no problem with that substitution.I was a little surprised that he didnt go for the triple pace threat by bringing on Benno for Snoddy.We were never going to have prolonged spells of possession so the triple pace threat of Ollson/Bennett/Redmond on the break could have been the key to scoring in the last 15 minutes.

It''s always easy after the event.

In terms of the overall management performance today it was very very good.

Bit churlish to be critical.

We could have gone for it big time and come away with nothing, that is the more likely scenario.

We are still in there fighting!

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]Because he''s the only attacking player we''ve got with serious pace. The wolf has proven scoring goals in a minor European league doesn''t make you premiership standard.[/quote]

The Premiership is a minor European league in every respect apart from the money it generates.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"][quote user="Canary Poirot"]Because he''s the only attacking player we''ve got with serious pace. The wolf has proven scoring goals in a minor European league doesn''t make you premiership standard.[/quote]

The Premiership is a minor European league in every respect apart from the money it generates.[/quote]Any half-decent analysis of the Champions League will show that''s simply not true, assuming "minor" is defined as "not one of the biggest leagues in Europe".

Really, I''d have thought the complete opposite.

I look forward to day when the final is Liverpool v Everton or Arsenal v Chelsea but the reality is the Premiership is light years away from this standard and always has been.

Let''s not let facts get in the way of a good old moan.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_finals#By_nation

Performance by nation
Nation Winners Runners-up
 Spain 14 10
 Italy 12 14
 England 12 7
 Germany 7 10
 Netherlands 6 2
 Portugal 4 5
 France 1 5
 Romania 1 1
 Scotland 1 1
 Yugoslavia 1 1
 Greece 0 1
 Belgium 0 1
 Sweden 0 1

Since the start of the competition, there have been five

single-nation finals: Spain in 2000 and 2014, Italy in 2003, England in

2008 and Germany in 2013.

Jenkins wrote the following post at 04/05/2014 8:40 PM:

It''s always easy after the event.

In terms of the overall management performance today it was very very good.

Bit churlish to be critical.

We could have gone for it big time and come away with nothing, that is the more likely scenario.

We are still in there fighting!

Jenkins - this isn''t knowledge after the event as all of this was known before the match.

I fully agree the overall management performance today was very very good

To be critical isn''t being churlish it is being realistic.

Nobody has suggested we go for it big time, just for another attacking option for the last 5 to 10 minutes to possibly give us a bit more hope and put more pressure on both Sunderland and West Brom.

We are only just in there fighting now.

We were creating chances with the personnel we had, Jonno had a great chance in extra time.

On balance I think he called it right.