Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Is Redmond Our Theo Walcott?

I really have had this thought prior to today. Redmond has received criticism this season in terms of no end product. However, I don''t believe the way we went about things this season did any of our forwards any favors. I have seen Redmond''s pace and shooting ability shine internationally. We have seen occasions too where many in the media have suggested Walcott could play the striker role but, obviously, in a different way that Giroud does. There were glimmers of promise in the brief 20 minutes that Redmond had today that worried the very, very experienced Chelsea rearguard, even when Redmond was on his own.

Anyway, I hope we are able to hold on to the young man and some of his potential is tapped into more effectively next season.

Yes he could be. Redmond has suffered this season because of the pressure continually on our front players through not scoring goals. I hope we hang on to him whatever division we are in.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I really have had this thought prior to today. Redmond has received criticism this season in terms of no end product. However, I don''t believe the way we went about things this season did any of our forwards any favors. I have seen Redmond''s pace and shooting ability shine internationally. We have seen occasions too where many in the media have suggested Walcott could play the striker role but, obviously, in a different way that Giroud does. There were glimmers of promise in the brief 20 minutes that Redmond had today that worried the very, very experienced Chelsea rearguard, even when Redmond was on his own.

Anyway, I hope we are able to hold on to the young man and some of his potential is tapped into more effectively next season.

[/quote]

Redmond always looked best at Birmingham when played up front. Playing off a number 10.

We really should have tried him there much earlier in the season. But we all know why we didn''t.

My son and I have been thinking for some time that Redmond is ineffective in the Prem as a winger/wide midfield player.

His precious attribute is pace and just using that out wide is easily countered by a good defence.

But up the middle where there are three options instead of one is possibly the place where he can exploit his pace.

Totally disagree

He has not been our Theo Walcott more our Achilles Heel

Needs a hell of a lot of coaching to be a Premiership player - and even in the Championship I would need convincing - we have seen a lot of fast lightweight players- Lennon Wright Phillips etc just disappear

Sterling, of Liverpool, is the model for Redmond having moved from potential to England World Cup certainty

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]No. Theo Walcott creates goals and scores goals.  Redmond was lively today and improved the "front line" (if one man can be a line) but Walcott he ain''t.

hes been played as a left winger for 95% of the season because snodgrass wants to be a right winger despite not having a right foot

IF we can keep hold of redmond he should be played as a right winger

he will be an england international within 5 years, hes shown at u21 level hes as good as sterling

ill be surprised if hes still at the club at the end of january next year

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

No. Theo Walcott creates goals and scores goals.  Redmond was lively today and improved the "front line" (if one man can be a line) but Walcott he ain''t.

[/quote]

Perhaps I should have explained the sentiment better for you Bor. I was not suggesting he is on a par with Walcott. If he was we would not have been able to obtain him. Rather, I was suggesting he could be our version of what many in the media have suggested the Walcott  role could be for Arsenal. As I stated, there were glimmers of Redmond''s ability present today against a strong Chelsea rearguard, even though he was mostly alone in his brief spell on the pitch. We desperately needed to encourage that type of approach and potential this season in the matches we were capable of winning. I hope we do next season.

Redmond does remind me of a young Walcott actually. Has that similar and somewhat annoying ability of doing all the hard work and then not finishing/putting in a decent cross.

Splutcho, I agree with you. A lot of what I see in Redmond today is what I used to see often in Walcott years ago. However, Walcott has improved and is now a better player at 25 years old. It''s just been a tough season for him because of injuries.

Oh yeah undoubtedly. I rate Walcott very highly. Will be a big miss for England this summer.

Incidentally, when do we get to start talking about the World Cup?