Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

From Stamford Bridge...

two things stand out for me:

1) The astuteness of Adams:

When I saw the team announced, I must admit that I was very surprised - only Elmander from the recognised strikers, and some defensive and midfield adjustments which seemed strange. In the end I think that he was proved right - if we had been awarded the penalty, of if Snodgrass hadn''t dallied on his shot, we might even have won.

2) The confidence problem in the team;

Was this really the team which didn''t turn up to Old Trafford, and several other places during the season? Adams remarked how well they followed the tactics he laid down for the Chelsea game, but we have to ask, given that they also did so well against Liverpool, what happened at Manchester? They really seem to be brittle and timid. Clearly Hughton struggled against this over two seasons, and never found a consistent solution, and Adams has found the same in his brief reign.

If Adams can pull out another impressive or even stunning performance in the final match, then we have to ask what he might have achieved earlier and with time for the two main strikers to regain confidence. Another good performance, albeit too late to arrest relegation, would mean that he gets my vote to become "permanent" manager.

One thing I will temper this with re confidence, the players were actually under very little actual mental pressure yesterday.We''re down, we know it, they know it, everyone knows it. No one would have expected them to get anything yesterday anyway, it we had been tonked 4-nil, everyone would have just shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh well".Really his team selection wasn''t a huge surprise, Elmander on his own up front was a no brainer, and it was always going to be a 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1.Really we are just playing the season out, and I don''t think Adams performance, overall so far, has convinced me he is the man for the job. I would get behind him if he did get it, but the board would leave themselves open to "doing it on the cheap" again.