Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Mourinho baffled

You''re not the only one Jose.http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9297452/premier-league-jose-mourinho-baffled-by-norwich-defensive-tactics

he has been doing it all season, thats why they have not won anything.

I''m not baffled, you try to play open against Chelsea you get battered.

Thats a very sore man who saw a smaller club, he expected to roll over, ruin his title hopes.

[quote user="Monty13"]I''m not baffled, you try to play open against Chelsea you get battered.

Thats a very sore man who saw a smaller club, he expected to roll over, ruin his title hopes.[/quote]

Was our job to ruin his title hopes or get three points to help us to safety?   All he has said is that we didn''t go for it - and in our position we needed to.  Not unlike my point in certain thread I started.......

I''ve not read what he said, but if he said he was surprised that we settled for the draw in our precarious position, it is hard not to agree. Ok, we are not down, but now rely on Sunderland losing twice while we beat Arsenal....easy peasy. Gung-ho tactics would have been suicidal, ad adraw at Chelsea is a decent result in itself, but more attacking venture towards the end would have surely given us a better chance.

I didn''t say it was our job, it was Chelsea''s job to win to keep their title hopes alive, hence why they were putting us under extreme pressure and commiting extra players forward.

He was playing down in the interview that they didn''t need to win. They clearly did, they clearly tried to and they clearly failed.

It''s laughable he''s upset we didn''t open up trying to win the game so they could beat us?

Did you watch Adams interview or just the opposition managers?

And once again as Phillip J Fry pointed out to you in your thread we did commit players forward and take risks when not under pressure we just didn''t make the suicidal move of putting a second striker on when our defence was getting battered.

We needed to win to realistically be in with a chance, the one thing we definitely couldn''t do is lose. We tried to nick it, we nearly did.

I can see both sides of this argument. Settling for a point was very Hughton-esque and we showed little intent to win the game. However, we also knew that if we came away with a point we weren''t dead and buried whereas with a loss Pat Butcher would be performing an aria on the King''s Road to wave the Cabbage buses on their way.

Given the choice between a slight chance and no chance...?

There''s now at least some pressure on Sunderland. The fixture is unfortunate given that all parties involved are happy with a draw, I haven''t seen how the bookies have priced it up yet but surely there''ll be a couple of phone calls on untraceable pay-as-you-go mobiles before the match takes place....or is that TOO cynical?

LDC, are you simple? "All guns blazing" against Chelsea would have resulted in us conceding several goals and not scoring.

Our best chance was bringing them onto us and trying to hit them on the break, which was underlined by Adams'' tactical switch in the second half. It didn''t happen, but we did carve out a couple of decent chances.

[quote user="I.S."]LDC, are you simple? "All guns blazing" against Chelsea would have resulted in us conceding several goals and not scoring.

Our best chance was bringing them onto us and trying to hit them on the break, which was underlined by Adams'' tactical switch in the second half. It didn''t happen, but we did carve out a couple of decent chances.[/quote]

Simple? No, but I think some of you lot are.  Mourinho said what I said in another thread - that near the end when we were 0-0 and could have brought on fresh legs and gone for it a bit more, we didn''t.  That is simple enough to understand isn''t it?   

Mourinho has got to explain to his employers how they lost so much ground after getting just 1 point from home games against Sunderland and Norwich. Apparently he''s never finished lower than 2nd at any club........

I think I heard him say "come on Palace" as he made his way down Fulham Broadway....

I seem to remember that with 5 minutes to go at carrow road, with the scores level, we ''went for it'' and tried to get all three. Chelsea said ''thanks very much we''ve been waiting for this!'' and promptly exploited the space and scored 2 goals.

Teams like Chelsea rely on the hedgehog uncurling and showing its soft underbelly.

I think the game plan was always for redmonds pace to exploit tired legs late on, or a set-piece/penalty to make the difference. To open up in search of more would have been like the Fulham game 10 years ago. Very Hughton-esque approach to the game, but in this circumstance a reasonable tactic. Playing a different way probably would have resulted in what happened at Old Trafford. Neil is learning from the mistakes

While that is true about the game at CR, today was rather different: we really needed the win. A draw made us 95% certain to go down (we need to win vs a team destined for the Champs League while Sunderland lose twice), a win and it was in the balance. For me, our tactics were spot on, up to the final ten, when the fact that we clearly settled for the draw shows a negativity that Hughton would have been crucified for. No one is suggesting that we should have gone stupid, but we could/should certainly have a gone a bit more forward in the last ten.

A draw was no good to Norwich whatsoever it just delays the relegation , we should have thrown everything we had at them for the last 20 mins or so as 3 pts just might have kept us up , if in trying we shipped a couple and lost what matters we are still going down anyway , we should have went down fighting to stay up , we didnt .

Who needs Mourinho, we''ve got Lake Districtio.Who needs Mourinho, we''ve got Lake Districtio.Who needs Mourinho, we''ve got Lake Districtio.Who needs Mourinho, we''ve got Lake Districtio.Who needs Mourinho, we''ve got Lake Districtio.Who needs Mourinho, we''ve got Lake Districtio.Who needs Mourinho, we''ve got Lake Districtio.Who needs Mourinho, we''ve got Lake Districtio.Repeat and fade....................

Is that to "La Donna e mobile" Squit?

Agree with posters like BP about this one. I think it demonstrates the awful dilemma that a football manager of a club like ours faces in the PL. Hughton had it all the time; interestingly he went for the win at home against Chelsea when he could have parked the bus at 1-1. Should he??......

I don''t think we were too far off the perfect performance yesterday (away to a top 3 team, defending well, nicking it on the counter - what if Snoddy''s first touch had been better, he would have buried the through ball from Redmond?)

Does anyone else think that Adams may have had half an eye on next (Championship?) season before the game yesterday?

Set the team up with a plan, and see how they respond (which they did) If we had got a battering with gun ho style, then that would be 4 defeats on the spin, relegation, and only a non event to come against Arsenal (that game may still be a non event, I know) with morale beneath a snails belly.

At least he would have something tangible and positive to work with ("Look lads, see what you managed to do against a Top 3 team") going into pre season and something for us lot to feed off, and build our hopes on again.

Adams knows he''s not responsible for this demise, so why not try one or two things?

Our approach yesterday gave us a couple of good chances in the final few minutes which unfortunately we couldn''t convert

If we''d opened up the probable result is that Chelsea would have scored.

I can understand Mourinho being frustrated but that''s tough. I think NA used the best approach to try to get the win. People have short memories and forget what''s happened in the past when we''ve gone for it and ended up with nothing.

I believe Mourinho''s comment was only to obscure the fact. I don''t think he meant any malice toward us but wanted to deflect the question with a riddle of his own.

It wasn''t that we didn''t go for the win. We couldn''t because for the most part we were pegged back by a team in the top three and had reached the last four of UEFA''s premier cup competition.

And who would we have taken off to bring on RVW and/or Hooper? We showed we were willing to attack yesterday but were unable to do it for most part because we were second best. At lest we wanted to progress. But harrying the opposition in their own half is the first line of attack rather than the style we have had to endure of falling back to our own area.

Most NCFC fans, and probably 99% of the football world, have accepted we will be relegated and it was Chelsea''s game to win. But just like Bayern v Real Madrid, all their possession counted for nothing.

But there again, I suppose Chelsea fans will accept his reasoning whereas it seems many NCFC fans accept his above Neil Adams.

Mourinho is right to be baffled.

In any other circumstances than yesterdays a draw was a great result.

But with the league table as it sits 4 points from the last two games was not enough, we had to win. not put enough pressure on wba v sunderland as wba are now safe - making it an outcome game rather than a stale draw the suits both means it will be a draw. Yes soak up the pressure but also seek a win in the last quarter of the game. we did not. We defended grittily but played poor quality football overall

We played out a draw in a must win game - and that simply adds to the errors of judgement we have had this season. We have only scored in one of the last 6 games, and only then when we had already lost the game.

I think the fact that mourinho is baffled is probably the best testament that Adams had the right game plan yesterday, or at least for most of the game.

He expected us to run around like headless chickens being desperate for the win and therefore played two defensive midfielders who were ineffective and unable to unlock our midfield and defence (unlike most teams this season!). I didn''t even see lampard touch the ball in the first half. Adams out witted him and he was forced to change his team early as they needed to win to stay in the title race (which many seem to have forgotten here).

Then bringing on Redmond for elmander gave us the one quality chance we were probably hoping for but sadly snodgrass had a bad touch/wasn''t quick enough.

I too feel we should have gone for it with another striker with ten to go but will now just hope and pray WBA and Swansea allow us to perform the miracle which would make the point from yesterday priceless

Does anyone think it was likely that we would have beaten Chelsea yesterday. Before the Sunderland game, mourinho''s Chelsea were unbeaten in 77 games at Stamford bridge. This was their last chance to chase the title, a single one of their players cost more than our entire team and they have very nearly reached the champions league final. Neil Adams was up against arguably the best manager in the business.

Does anybody really think that our boys were capable of overpowering this team at will in the last 10 minutes? When you have nothing to lose (ie you are losing the game already) its worth doing, but we had a point to protect. A point that meant we werent relegated. Shouls Sunderland lose both their games (which is not impossible) and we beat arsenal (also not impossible) that point will have been vital.

99 times out of 100 if we had tried to ''throw the kitchen sink'' at Chelsea they would have simply scored the goal we''d been fighting for 80 minutes to stop them doing.

We were on the backfoot defending for our lives the majority of the game. The idea we could have suddenly swung the balance of power and overpowered them at will in the last 10 minutes away from home against one of the best teams in Europe is preposterous

While much of that is true GMD, much of it is irrelevant to yesterday''s game: the fact remains that we needed a win far more than a draw and at 0-0 should have pressed more. In other circumstances it would have been a great result, and as a stand alone result I guess it is - just less so given te context of what we needed

It does also rather beg the question why we didn''t play that way/like that at Fulham/Man U.

One thing is that despite Hughton''s negative tag, and Adams apparent attacking nouse, we have scored in only one game under him.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]A draw was no good to Norwich whatsoever it just delays the relegation , we should have thrown everything we had at them for the last 20 mins or so as 3 pts just might have kept us up , if in trying we shipped a couple and lost what matters we are still going down anyway , we should have went down fighting to stay up , we didnt .[/quote]

I know I had a couple of shandies during the game, Canary1, but I saw a battling team yesterday and have no complaints, granted a more vintage attacking performance would have been more pleasing on the eye but I''m just grateful that this morning we still have, albeit a very small, chance of staying up. Can''t see West Brom going for it on Wednesday but it should be remembered that they are more than capable of getting a win at Sunderland. If that were to happen, i could see Sunderland getting the jitters on the last day..... Fingers crossed lads.

the funniest thing about the way adams set the team out is that hughton tried to do it for 2 seasons and still couldnt stop concedingplayers looked like they were playing for manager/club/careers for a change