Sign in to follow this  
Nechtology

Why Adams should be kept on (IMO)

I''m new to all this, so excuse me! But, I really do hope Norwich keep Adams on as manager.

Norwich City needs to identify what it is as a club. We are not a big club (premiership wise), and we can''t attract top players. Geographically, we''re out on a limb. And let''s be honest, we''re not the best club in the world at actually signing players are we? Signing players from Sporting Lisbon, Newcastle etc etc, is a big fat waste of time. Norwich will only ever be a pay cheque to these type of players, and we''ve seen the results of signing players like this. Norwich will always be a step down for them.

However, with Neil Adams, we have somebody who knows our youth team inside out. And he has a group of very talented young players, who clearly play for him, and respect him. Winning the FA Youth Cup is no mean feat.

We have spent so much on the Academy etc, it''s time to reap the rewards for this. Spending big money on players simply doesn''t work for Norwich City. It''s not a club other players dream of playing for, so you''ll only end up with duff overpriced unambitious players.

I personally hope we get relegated. And I also hope that Neil Adams is given time to bring through this hugely talented crop of young players without the crazy demands of the Premiership. Because that has always been the foundation of every succesful Norwich side. Home grown players who WANT to play for the club, and who are ambitious. If we appoint a "big name" manager, the youth will get overlooked again. And another crop of journey men players/loanees/mercenary''s will come in, take their salary, and bugger off when the going gets tough. And that manager will happily take his 2 or 3 million pay off when he get''s sacked, and go off to the next club, and do the same.

We have a real opportunity to get this club back to being Norwich City again, instead of this faceless also ran that we have become. It may take 2 or 3 years, but I think we would return to the Premiership in a far healthier position for it.

The problem wih the youth arguement is how many of them are really up to the standard of championship football. It''s a mountain of a step up in class and in all honesty Murphy is probably the only one likely to come in and have an impact. As for Adams I certainly wouldn''t be disappointed to see him given the job. He has shown some fresh ideas ie Redmond up top, and his game plan yesterday was spot on.

JF wrote the following post at 05/05/2014 3:54 PM:

The problem wih the youth arguement is how many of them are really up to the standard of championship football. It''s a mountain of a step up in class and in all honesty Murphy is probably the only one likely to come in and have an impact. As for Adams I certainly wouldn''t be disappointed to see him given the job. He has shown some fresh ideas ie Redmond up top, and his game plan yesterday was spot on.

There will not be as many youth players as some seem to think that will be good enough, however if anybody knows who the likely candidates are then it''s Adams.

Not saying that should be the decisive factor but it is a consideration.

I think that''s exactly my point. I know when Dave Stringer was promoted to first team manager, that was the beginning of our most successful era. He knew the youth players, and the on''es who would cut it, and Mike Walker was the man who benefitted from that. Winning the FA Youth Club is a good indication that we do have a very talented crop of young players, and only Neil Adams will be able to bring them through.

Seeing the likes of the Murphy''s, Loza, McGeehan, Morris, Toffolo, Hall-Johnson etc possibly get an opportunity could well be the silver lining to our relegation cloud.

There''s no doubt they''re a talented bunch and whilst they won''t all make it, some of them will, and opportunities will be more regular at Championship level than Premier League.

[quote user="Nechtology"]No, I''m not. Just a realistic supporter of 34 years.[/quote]

If he does a good job of the last game it would be tempting to give him till January.

Its logical however to get an experienced manager who knows how to get promoted.

Neither way assures success and it seems atm we need a new spine to the team after departures.

An excellent striker, creative midfielder and defender (I am assuming turner and Bassong will be off. I would like turner to stay)

I think our young players are good enough to augment a strong core but not enough to prosper on their own.

I see our team as an institution that cannot compete with the massive money at the top of the game and should always strive to develop and bring forward young players in a progressive approach to the game. That takes stability and a top down integration that can be destroyed every time the manager is changed and they bring their own team in.

Its not going to be easy though and there are going to be a number of players who need shifting and wheeling and dealing which as we have seen with CH buys is a large chunk of the job.

Maybe another way to put it is this would you keep adams and have another million to spend on a star striker.

The thing is FF, even in the Championship there are many sides with much wealthier owners than ours and our parachute payments don''t last long, I don''t think we can afford luxury of gambling on an unknown quantity with a "see how it is in January" style appointment, it could well be our best chance of getting up wasted. History tells us that if you can''t do a West Brom or West Ham you run a very real risk of doing an Ipswich, Foresy or Leeds. We have to give ourselves the best possible opportunity of success in the first season.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]The thing is FF, even in the Championship there are many sides with much wealthier owners than ours and our parachute payments don''t last long, I don''t think we can afford luxury of gambling on an unknown quantity with a "see how it is in January" style appointment, it could well be our best chance of getting up wasted. History tells us that if you can''t do a West Brom or West Ham you run a very real risk of doing an Ipswich, Foresy or Leeds. We have to give ourselves the best possible opportunity of success in the first season.[/quote]

I don''t disagree with you but there are so many factors at play.

The reality is that the club is someones private property and outsiders are always a risk.

I see the temptation I also cannot see the CE staying on 1.7 million so either thats coming down more than half or its going to be a very large change.

[quote user="Fromage Frais"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]The thing is FF, even in the Championship there are many sides with much wealthier owners than ours and our parachute payments don''t last long, I don''t think we can afford luxury of gambling on an unknown quantity with a "see how it is in January" style appointment, it could well be our best chance of getting up wasted. History tells us that if you can''t do a West Brom or West Ham you run a very real risk of doing an Ipswich, Foresy or Leeds. We have to give ourselves the best possible opportunity of success in the first season.[/quote]

I don''t disagree with you but there are so many factors at play.

The reality is that the club is someones private property and outsiders are always a risk.

I see the temptation I also cannot see the CE staying on 1.7 million so either thats coming down more than half or its going to be a very large change.[/quote]

It just so crap getting relegated.

I hope there is money in the kitty to at least give a new manager a good go

I would imagine so, we''ve no debt, players are all on sensible contracts with pay cut clauses as far as we know, I don''t think we spent all of last seasons budget, there will be parachute payments and the likes of Ruddy, Snodgrass, Fer, RVW etc should bring in some decent money.

If we make the right appointment (glad it''s not my decision) and get a little bit of luck we should be in with a decent chane of a top 6 finish.

I think the fact is, we''re in a mess right now. Does any manager at this level know how to get a team promoted? Surely that''s just "winning games" isn''t it? And to win games, you have to have a committed set of players who want to play for their manager and the club. Lambert got it spot on, but his appointment came at the perfect time. He could build from the bottom up, get in lower league players who would sweat blood for him (for he had given them this chance). I can see this same ethic in Neil Adams. Hearing him say "I looked each player in the eye" speaks volumes. He clearly looks for commitment in his players, and thus, he will only select the one''s who show that. That''s the most important thing. Technical perfection can follow on. BUt I know if Neil Adams was given this chance, we would see a side full of commitment and passion, something Hughton was never much of a fan of.

The argument that "only Adams" can bring through the youth players is a strange one. Why is he the "only" one who can?

The bottom line is that if the youngsters are good enough, they''ll get game time. In the past it hasn''t been that the managers have stifled amazing young talent, it''s been that they weren''t good enough.

In recent years, I can only really think of Adeyemi and before him Chris Martin and Shackell who are now playing regularly in the championship. Korey Smith ("next big thing" a couple of seasons ago), at Oldham, mid-table in League One for example.

It''s extremely unlikely that four or five (or more) of our current youth lot will be good enough for championship football in the next couple of seasons, and even if there are that many - will they be enough to get us promoted? Unlikely. As such, basing managerial appointments on that isn''t enough I''m afraid.

And as for the "under Adams we''d see a side full of commitment and passion" argument, two brief things:

1) Have we really seen much of that in the few games so far? Certainly at Fulham and Man Utd I didn''t think there was any great difference to what we previously saw under Hughton.

2) What a lot of fans see as "commitment and passion" is, in reality, lots of running and hard tackles to cover up the lack of quality in the squad. Barcelona or Spain of yesteryear don''t look "passionate" on the pitch, but they have been the best domestic and international sides in the world over the last decade or so.

The reason we will (might) get relegated this season isn''t that Hughton was unable to instill passion into the players, it''s because the players and management weren''t good enough technically or tactically to keep us up.

The problem is that it is not really just down to bringing on the youth players though, is it - there is going to be a heck of a lot of transfer activity both in and out, of which Adams has no experience at all. If you want to use our Youth Cup winning side of 84 as an example, only 2-3 ever played (Goss and Spearing spring to mind) much in our first team.

As for Stringer, there was a pretty big gap between his coaching of the Youths and managing the side: we won the youth cup in 84 and he became manager 3 years later after managing the reserves: this fact sees to be forgotten, as if there was a direct move.

It does seem to me that it is too soon for Adams - and if his strong point will be bringing on the youngsters he''d be probably better suited to managing the u-21s in their we top-tier season.

Sorry Op but I found your opening contribution defeatist and illogical. A kind of  ''know your place'' soliloquy that meandered somewhat. Proposing that we should settle for second best for that''s what we should be after all, and welcoming relegation.

''That''s the littlest of ''little ''ol Norwich'' that I think I''ve ever encountered. Sorry mate, that''s the way I see it and I too have been a long time supporter.

I have enjoyed feasting at the Top Table and aspire to more of that. Worse outfits than NCFC have graced that league in the recent past and often for longer periods than us.

How can we ever aspire to better our status as a football club if aiming for the stars is dismissed by such as you in such a way?

I also disagree with your assessment of Neil Adams as well. He is not ready to take the helm even at Championship level, IMO, and we could well drift into the mediocrity, that you seem to desire should be our destiny, should he be appointed.

Besides, our current crop of talented youth are best served under his direct wing for the time being.

Times have changed drastically and radically since the days of Stringer and Walker. It is an entirely different ball-game these days.

Like Lambert before him NA is better advised to learn the business of managing a football club in the lower leagues. He has time on his side for now.  

OTBC.

Gah! It''s so hard to try and explain what I mean!!!

It''s not defeatist, in fact it''s quite the opposite. I just feel that we need to focus on what Norwich City actually is. And once we do that, everything else will fall into place. When we finished 3rd in the Premiership, it wasn''t through big names appointments or signings, it was through a club running itself in accordance with the club itself. Once you have that unity, you can aim for the stars. But you do it in the right way.

Sorry OP, I am not really getting at you as we are all entitled to our point of view, but I find the scenario expressed in your concluding paragraph somewhat unrealistic.

The thought of Neil Adams as the Pied Piper of Norwich leading his fledglings, suitably tucked under his wing, towards the Promised  Land in a few years time, and with playing the ''Norwich Way'' paramount, as  fantasy gone haywire.

It won''t happen. It''s tougher out there than that.

Let''s hope though that a lot of these boys make it, in some way or the other.

[quote user="Nechtology"]Gah! It''s so hard to try and explain what I mean!!! It''s not defeatist, in fact it''s quite the opposite. I just feel that we need to focus on what Norwich City actually is. And once we do that, everything else will fall into place. When we finished 3rd in the Premiership, it wasn''t through big names appointments or signings, it was through a club running itself in accordance with the club itself. Once you have that unity, you can aim for the stars. But you do it in the right way.[/quote]

I do appreciate what you mean to say and find it admirable.

The game has gone volte-face many times and in many ways since those heady days of NCFC topping the Premiership. Harking back to our roots is no longer remotely feasible surely?

It will never happen again. That''s knowing our place for sure, but at least let''s aspire to being at the races occasionally.

[quote user="Nechtology"]Gah! It''s so hard to try and explain what I mean!!! It''s not defeatist, in fact it''s quite the opposite. I just feel that we need to focus on what Norwich City actually is. And once we do that, everything else will fall into place. When we finished 3rd in the Premiership, it wasn''t through big names appointments or signings, it was through a club running itself in accordance with the club itself. Once you have that unity, you can aim for the stars. But you do it in the right way.[/quote]

I do appreciate what you mean to say and find it admirable.

The game has gone volte-face many times and in many ways since those heady days of NCFC topping the Premiership. Harking back to our roots is no longer remotely feasible surely?

It will never happen again. That''s knowing our place for sure, but at least let''s aspire to being at the races occasionally.