Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Ok. Why didn't we go for it more?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Monty13"]"But it hasn''t changed from manager to manager. If Hughton was still in charge and we had the same situation today I would have saying the same things as I have on this thread."

So I ask again where were these cutting analysis''s of Hughtons failings? I don''t care whether you loved the last manager or not. I''m just confused why you''re suddenly so critical of the current one, rather than pulling the positives like you used to?[/quote]

I don''t get it - some people just seem to like things black and white all the time. In the real world they are not.   Most people just see what they want to see and assume everything I said about Hughton was positive - it was not - I criticised Hughton when I saw fit, I credited him when I saw fit.   The praise he got from me was down to his ideas of a consistent approach that would eventually lead to a progression in overall standard as the quality of player we got in was improved.   Not rocket science.  But he failed. No question.   I lost faith in him after the two Manchester results in November so if you want cutting analysis''s of Hughton''s failings, then I suggest you look to threads I posted on around those matches.  I''m fed up with trying to explain myself and my opinions. 

This thread posed a simple question - which was immediately pounced on - but many others are saying the same thing - including Mourinho for one.  Hughton has gone - and his name never entered my head until someone else mentioned him in a post, questioning my motives - again.  People should get over it.[/quote]

Lakey, honestly, you need to get over it. Since Hughton left I have seen YOU raise his name several times on different threads. Yet, after Paul Lambert left, if other posters even raised his name you were all over them like flies over manure, telling those posters they needed to let it go, we have moved on. Further, in the past, when the situation looked dire, you told others that we must always look for the positives. Now, when things look dire, you are certain we are going down. What happened to your positive approach under all circumstances? You don''t have to preach to others what the circumstances are. We all know it. But let''s stay positive until the last breath is drawn. You need to walk the talk Lakey....YOUR talk.[/quote]

Yankee, dear heart, I have moved on and only refer to Hughton when people mention him first - usually in trying to belittle me in some way.  I have no agenda except that I want to see the best for the club - and my opinions are as valid as anyone else''s.    This thread is a case in point. It was about today''s match, today''s team and was about how the team played today.   As for positivity - it is other people that class me as mr positive, not me.  I''ll be as positive as I can be, but it is not always going to be that way.  Today we could have been more positive in the last ten minutes - it was needed imo, in the circumstances we are in.  So in a way I am talking the talk, demanding positivity - or in this case bemoaning the fact that it didn''t seem to be there. 

[/quote]

As I have pointed out to you before on your past transgressions, Lakey, when your moral compass is found to be wanting and you tell fibs then, after a while, you can''t even remember what the truth is any more. The following from your recent thread on, "Where Are You?" is simply an example of refuting what you said above. Try the truth my boy. It sets you free:

Your initial post from April 24th/2014  ( which you originated )

Where are you?   Still plenty of tickets available for the match on Sunday and at a cheap rate.  Where is your wonderful positive support for the new manager and to help the team over the line?  Possibly the most important game so far this season - and I thought real fans went to away games as well as home games? 

You can''t blame Hughton - he''s not here anymore and I would have thought people would be falling over themselves to get to our next three matches.   Too far?   Ahh!  I''ll be there and if there are gaps in the crowd, don''t worry, I''ll make more noise myself to make up for it.   Can''t afford it?  Well, thats tough - just like I can''t afford to go to all the Carrow Rd games.  So for all the wonderful so called supporters that give me such a hard time for not going to enough matches - if you haven''t got your ticket yet, get off your backsides and do something about it.   Don''t forget - and as you are always telling me - you can''t have a valid opinion unless you are at the match.Well?

[/quote]I wonder about the intelligence of some fans on here. This thread, which is exactly the same as one I posted, is about why we didn''t go for it. To be fair to LDC, if you read his comments on this thread, he continuously tries to steer his comments back to what this thread is about, and it''s others who want to take a swipe at "why he didn''t do this, do that at others point in the last century!"I agree that on any other day a point away at Chelsea would be a great result. Today by all accounts was a great result and a great performance.  But I''m staggered that with 10 minutes to go, we didn''t try to secure a win, and throw a last gamble of the dice. Cheslea were there for the taking. Yes, if we''d lost we would be down. But we now need an in form team, playing against two teams safe, to completely lose it, at the same time remember how to actually win a game ourselves. A massive turnaround, and highly likely impossible (although stranger things have happened) Plus a massively inferior goal difference! SO we are now 90% relegated, probably more!With 10 mins to go, had we snuck a winning goal, it would then be in our hands, and three other teams would have been dragged into that last game. We would also go in with high confidence. But our current manager (who cares about Hughton, that''s gone, that''s history, as is Lambert, we are where we are) decided to try holding out for a point, as he felt that was better than throwing in the towel. All credit to a great performance and result, but our destiny should be in our hands, not others. IMO teams don''t deserve to stay up if they cling on to other results going their way

Can''t see West Brom busting a gut to win at Sunderland so that''s that. Championship promotion campaign MUST start this week. Adams job top of the agenda. Not a moment to lose.

Ok. Why didn''t we go for it more?

We went for it. 0-0 was a great result. We were magnificent yesterday. To get a draw with 21% possession is no mean feat.

Redmond on for Elmander was superb in this context as we managed to push up the pitch and get our players forward.

These last four games were not a secret. The damage was already done.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]If anyone can show me a "why didn''t we go for it?" Thread from Lake District Canary during our dreadful away run under the previous manager, I will gladly hold my hands up. Sadly he appears to have selective memory and double standards.[/quote]

Click here:http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3070626/ShowPost.aspx

Not universally critical of Hughton I grant you, but it does question the end of the match, just like this thread.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]If anyone can show me a "why didn''t we go for it?" Thread from Lake District Canary during our dreadful away run under the previous manager, I will gladly hold my hands up. Sadly he appears to have selective memory and double standards.[/quote]

Click here:http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3070626/ShowPost.aspx

Not universally critical of Hughton I grant you, but it does question the end of the match, just like this thread.

[/quote]Yes, fair enough.  Did Adams do enough and throw everything at getting a win? No he didn''t, but if we''d come up with performances like yesterday''s in our earlier, more "winnable" (let''s say "drawable") away games then we may not have gifted 3 points to West Ham, Fulham, Swansea... very frustrating.  To be fair to you, old son, that''s hardly your fault

I thought Adams got the tactics spot on yesterday.

Chelsea played exactly the same way at Liverpool last week with similar possession stats to yesterday and was hailed as a tactical genius.

If we had got the breaks Chelsea had at Liverpool, if we had an in-form striker to bring off the bench, if Snoddy had taken his chance or if Bradders header had looped in then Adams would be being hailed as a tactical genius on this board.

Sadly, fine margins will see us relegated this season. No blame being attached to anyone from this poster, just lessons to be learned for the future.

OTBC!

I think we done all we could, in the circumstances of the match. I think it was becoming clearer that the best we were going to get was putting a bit of pressure on Sunderland to get a point either wednesday or the weekend.

You have to remember Chelsea weren''t playing badly with about 70% possession and Torres, Ba, Shurrle, Willian, Hazard all on the pitch.

The reality was bringing on a striker would in all likeliness not have made a difference. See this season for a reference.

I thought Adams was clinically insane when he brought Redmond on for Elmander but it actually almost worked and was quite clever in giving the defence a bit more breathing space as he''d obviously told Redmond to run in between the CB''s which panicked them a bit and they started sitting deeper.

IT was a very Hughton like performance in many ways - of last season, not this one. We defended admirably - differently to Hughton we did try and get bodies forwards whenever there was a sniff we could get in their 18 yard box.

One big plus for me is Adams made a subsitution which made me go "''Eh?" very much like Lambert did on many occasions - but it actually had a positive impact on the game!

And at least we''ve put some pressure on Sunderland - as little as it is. It may well be all over on Wednesday but at least we''re not already down.

Other than pride (which was achieved in bundles) the only logical reason I can see in not going for it in the last ten minutes was Neil wanting to be able to hold the draw up as an argument for keeping him on at the end of the season.

As others have said, if we''d have played like that in other games we wouldn''t have had to get something from this one..... he was just showing the board how competent he is.

[quote user="50 years a Supporter"]

Other than pride (which was achieved in bundles) the only logical reason I can see in not going for it in the last ten minutes was Neil wanting to be able to hold the draw up as an argument for keeping him on at the end of the season.

As others have said, if we''d have played like that in other games we wouldn''t have had to get something from this one..... he was just showing the board how competent he is.

[/quote]

I quite agree - very well put!

A point was insufficient to keep us up. It enabled us to cheer a bit - we''ve seldom had the chance this year on the road - but this match, like the season, has seen us go down with merely a whimper. Three points and there might have been something larger than our current wholly theoretical chance of survival.

3 points may not even be enough to keep us up, zero points was definitely enough to send us down.Think about it.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 2014-05-04 10:06 PM:

Its a fair question. It was a game we had to win. A draw is not good enough to stay in the league.

Your pal Hughton had 33 games he had to win, BUT-------!!

[quote user="City 2nd"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 2014-05-04 10:06 PM:

Its a fair question. It was a game we had to win. A draw is not good enough to stay in the league.

Your pal Hughton had 33 games he had to win, BUT-------!![/quote]

He was not my "pal", he was the Norwich City manager - and since November - when I thought like everyone else that enough was enough (and said so at the time)  - he was plainly being being backed by the board to succeed sufficiently to keep us up this season - so I supported their view of it.   There were improvements that indicated things may be ok after Christmas (our home record), so my support for him did increase again, but never to the level that I had had last season and the beginning of this.

But you think what you like.........

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Its a fair question.  It was a game we had to win.    A draw is not good enough to stay in the league.[/quote]It''s a question you could have asked many times this season, why wait until now? Couldn''t be anything to do with the change of manager could it? [/quote]I have a sneaking suspicion that LDC was indulging in a little bit of irony with this thread.

[quote user="Samwam27"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Monty13"]"But it hasn''t changed from manager to manager. If Hughton was still in charge and we had the same situation today I would have saying the same things as I have on this thread."

So I ask again where were these cutting analysis''s of Hughtons failings? I don''t care whether you loved the last manager or not. I''m just confused why you''re suddenly so critical of the current one, rather than pulling the positives like you used to?[/quote]

I don''t get it - some people just seem to like things black and white all the time. In the real world they are not.   Most people just see what they want to see and assume everything I said about Hughton was positive - it was not - I criticised Hughton when I saw fit, I credited him when I saw fit.   The praise he got from me was down to his ideas of a consistent approach that would eventually lead to a progression in overall standard as the quality of player we got in was improved.   Not rocket science.  But he failed. No question.   I lost faith in him after the two Manchester results in November so if you want cutting analysis''s of Hughton''s failings, then I suggest you look to threads I posted on around those matches.  I''m fed up with trying to explain myself and my opinions. 

This thread posed a simple question - which was immediately pounced on - but many others are saying the same thing - including Mourinho for one.  Hughton has gone - and his name never entered my head until someone else mentioned him in a post, questioning my motives - again.  People should get over it.[/quote]

Lakey, honestly, you need to get over it. Since Hughton left I have seen YOU raise his name several times on different threads. Yet, after Paul Lambert left, if other posters even raised his name you were all over them like flies over manure, telling those posters they needed to let it go, we have moved on. Further, in the past, when the situation looked dire, you told others that we must always look for the positives. Now, when things look dire, you are certain we are going down. What happened to your positive approach under all circumstances? You don''t have to preach to others what the circumstances are. We all know it. But let''s stay positive until the last breath is drawn. You need to walk the talk Lakey....YOUR talk.[/quote]

Yankee, dear heart, I have moved on and only refer to Hughton when people mention him first - usually in trying to belittle me in some way.  I have no agenda except that I want to see the best for the club - and my opinions are as valid as anyone else''s.    This thread is a case in point. It was about today''s match, today''s team and was about how the team played today.   As for positivity - it is other people that class me as mr positive, not me.  I''ll be as positive as I can be, but it is not always going to be that way.  Today we could have been more positive in the last ten minutes - it was needed imo, in the circumstances we are in.  So in a way I am talking the talk, demanding positivity - or in this case bemoaning the fact that it didn''t seem to be there. 

[/quote]

As I have pointed out to you before on your past transgressions, Lakey, when your moral compass is found to be wanting and you tell fibs then, after a while, you can''t even remember what the truth is any more. The following from your recent thread on, "Where Are You?" is simply an example of refuting what you said above. Try the truth my boy. It sets you free:

Your initial post from April 24th/2014  ( which you originated )

Where are you?   Still plenty of tickets available for the match on Sunday and at a cheap rate.  Where is your wonderful positive support for the new manager and to help the team over the line?  Possibly the most important game so far this season - and I thought real fans went to away games as well as home games? 

You can''t blame Hughton - he''s not here anymore and I would have thought people would be falling over themselves to get to our next three matches.   Too far?   Ahh!  I''ll be there and if there are gaps in the crowd, don''t worry, I''ll make more noise myself to make up for it.   Can''t afford it?  Well, thats tough - just like I can''t afford to go to all the Carrow Rd games.  So for all the wonderful so called supporters that give me such a hard time for not going to enough matches - if you haven''t got your ticket yet, get off your backsides and do something about it.   Don''t forget - and as you are always telling me - you can''t have a valid opinion unless you are at the match.Well?

[/quote]I wonder about the intelligence of some fans on here. This thread, which is exactly the same as one I posted, is about why we didn''t go for it. To be fair to LDC, if you read his comments on this thread, he continuously tries to steer his comments back to what this thread is about, and it''s others who want to take a swipe at "why he didn''t do this, do that at others point in the last century!"I agree that on any other day a point away at Chelsea would be a great result. Today by all accounts was a great result and a great performance.  But I''m staggered that with 10 minutes to go, we didn''t try to secure a win, and throw a last gamble of the dice. Cheslea were there for the taking. Yes, if we''d lost we would be down. But we now need an in form team, playing against two teams safe, to completely lose it, at the same time remember how to actually win a game ourselves. A massive turnaround, and highly likely impossible (although stranger things have happened) Plus a massively inferior goal difference! SO we are now 90% relegated, probably more!With 10 mins to go, had we snuck a winning goal, it would then be in our hands, and three other teams would have been dragged into that last game. We would also go in with high confidence. But our current manager (who cares about Hughton, that''s gone, that''s history, as is Lambert, we are where we are) decided to try holding out for a point, as he felt that was better than throwing in the towel. All credit to a great performance and result, but our destiny should be in our hands, not others. IMO teams don''t deserve to stay up if they cling on to other results going their way[/quote]Just for a bit of fun I looked up bookies'' odds on West Brom and Swansea beating Sunderland and us beating Arsenal. The odds of those three coming through are roughly 20 to 1.