Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Ok. Why didn't we go for it more?

Not enough desperation to win the game.  A draw is not enough.  Just get the ball forward at every opportunity.  It wouldn''t have mattered if we lost so why didn''t we get the ball forward more?  At  0-0 with ten minutes to play we needed to play as if it was a cup final, get everyone forward.

You do realise Chelsea were playing as well? and also needed to win the game, with far better players, at home.

What exactly should we have done?

Guess the plan was to keep it tight and hope we got a break. To be fair we nearly did with Johnsons header. Though I agree that with 10 minutes left I would have gone gung-ho. A great point but unfortunately it won''t be enough and we baring a miricle we are down

Although you lot are right, you can''t criticise the tactics, or effort. The fact is if the Sunderland and WBA managers get together and say, ''play for a draw and we''re both safe,'' then we go down. Personally, i''m gonna put £10 on a 0-0

im spartacus,that really is unnecessary.

LDC - I was screaming out similar in the last ten minutes and to be honest was shocked that we didnt bring on another forward or even two right at the end even if it meant conceeding. A point simply isnt good enough and even though many will disagree with me....after setting the side up really well, getting great effort, Neil then messed that up and showed he has no balls and dint play his full hand.  The counter argument of course is that an in form Sunderland COULD mess up and lose their next two matches.....against two sides who are safe, one at home against a team who will certainly be on the beach.    

Like LDC points out, a draw is unlikely to be enough! With 10 mins to go, we really needed to try & take all 3 points. Even at the risk of getting tonked...

Sunderland will be chuffed we didn''t!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Its a fair question.  It was a game we had to win.    A draw is not good enough to stay in the league.[/quote]It''s a question you could have asked many times this season, why wait until now? Couldn''t be anything to do with the change of manager could it?

Exactly Norfolk Mustard..........I am stunned he didnt go for it, he was getting the effort, Chelsea were going for it and leaving gaps.........almost criminal not to role that last dice! 

It was a game we couldn''t lose.

Unlikely as it is, a point does offer a very small window of opportunity.

I don''t think a number of you grasp the fact that we don''t have a striker at the club, Hughton and his cronies have coached any semblance of attacking threat out of them.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]Its a fair question.  It was a game we had to win.    A draw is not good enough to stay in the league.[/quote]It''s a question you could have asked many times this season, why wait until now? Couldn''t be anything to do with the change of manager could it? [/quote]

Nope.

lappinitup wrote the following post at 04/05/2014 6:11 PM:

lake district canary wrote:

Its a fair question. It was a game we had to win. A draw is not good enough to stay in the league.

It''s a question you could have asked many times this season, why wait until now? Couldn''t be anything to do with the change of manager could it?

It''s so f.ucking blatent it''s embarrassing.

And he always talks about being a CITY fan!!

So the two biggest Hughton supporters on this board are upset that the manager didn''t ''go-for-it''
Anyone else seeing the irony here?

I am just listening to Jose expounding the same thing about us playing for a draw and expressing surprise.

Adams was very Hughtonesque, IMO, ie. defend what you have.

He has just manoeuvred himself out of the job as far as I''m concerned.

Great motivation and a massive team display for ninety minutes. We should have gone hit or bust with fifteen to go though.

[quote user="Jenkins"]It''s just sad Phillip

It''s all about the club, my @rse[/quote]
I actually liked Hughton and was willing to defend him for alot of the accusations thrown against him. I also realise that Hughtons time was up by the WBA game and that he was no more likely to ''go for it'' than Adams was at that stage of the game, so to crticise Adams for it is bizarre. 

Oh dear. My bad for posting so soon after a match. Look you poor dears, the match was a must win, that is why we needed to go for it.  When Hughton put Becchio on against West Brom I was screaming at him for having run out of ideas.   So calm down, go out and have a drink, drown your sorrows and look forward to  Wednesday where we will need a miracle at Sunderland - again.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I am just listening to Jose expounding the same thing about us playing for a draw and expressing surprise.

Great motivation and a massive team display for ninety minutes. We should have gone hit or bust with fifteen to go though.

[/quote]I agree.  Very naive not to go for it with 20 minutes to go.  1 point was never going to be enough.  Adams knew that so...............?

The biggest shame is we couldn''t show that fighting spirit on previous away games. Defence was superb today. LDC, yet again, shows himself up for the tool we all know he is. If we had "gone for it" (how? Bring that useless Dutch t0sser on?) we would have been torn apart and relegated. Take comfort from a fighting display, fingers crossed for a West Bromwin and we go into the last game a chance, a slim chance, but at least a chance which is more than I expected.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]
Bit different as he did actually, y''know, TRY and have some attacking impetuous which Hughton would not do against Chelsea in the same situation. Even his Redmond substitution could be viewed as attacking when put in the context of the tactical changes of the game. Should he have brought on a striker? Probably, but only because the tactical situation had changed (Chelsea''s defensive line was sitting much deeper now that Redmond was on) not because he needed to be more ''attacking''.

A few cocks on this thread just making themselves look stupid playing the poster instead of the post.   Its true fellas, get used to it.  We gave a lot but we needed more.

Who are the two biggest Hughton fans?

Surely if you really think about it, put any Manager bias to one side, anyone can see that today only a WIN was the result we needed, not a draw.

So, with ten minutes to go, KNOWING YOU NEED A WIN....what do you do............a)Throw everything but the kitchen sink at the opposition even if it means you may concede or b) Make no more changes when you have fresh legs on the bench including at least a couple of players who had massive points to prove?

I personally would want a Manager who would go for option a)...........and I am sure that several previous Managers of our club would have done just that, not sure Chris Hughton would have........but neither did Neil Adams!!!!!!!!    If it pays off and in the unlikely event Sunderland mess up their next two games then that will be amazing...........................and all credit to the Manager for not taking a risk and it actually paying off....its just not the way I personally feel was the right way to do it and am sure many others will agree too.........oh, and I genuinely have no problem with Neil Adams he is clearly doing his best and is committed to the club.

We took as many risks as we could afford to take. We played Bennett to add the long throw option to set pieces. Ultimately we could have had a pen and Snoddy had one chance. If anyone thinks that by bringing on Hooper/RVW we could have got a goal they can''t have been paying attention all season.

I don''t actually agree on the second striker, I''m not sure what it would have added. With Redmond on their defence was a lot deeper and for the last 15 our midfield was getting a lot further forward and supporting.

Taking one of them off would have made us very vulnerable while needing tettey minimum to hang back to counter breaks rather than roaming forward as he was starting to.

The change I''m surprised he didn''t make was fresh legs in Midfield, the obvious being Fer for either Howson or Johnson. I wonder if he didn''t make the change as he just didn''t trust the Fer to put the effort in required?