Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Ashton - the good and the bad

I have had mixed feelings about Ashton since his arrival. Sometimes he has looked good, showing good maturity and vision on the ball but physically he has often looked off the pace.

Yesterday - 2 cracking goals. You might think the first could have been scored by his granny and indeed the cross actually hit him on the shin I think and went in. Why ''cracking goal'' then? When you first see it, it''s a simple tap in. Watch again, when Francis gets in the box both Ashton and the defender make the same run. Then Ashton shows real intelligence by quickly peeling off to the far post to creat space. The brainless defender keeps ball watching (remind you of someone?) and when the cross arrives it''s a gift.

The second is much, much better than Radio Norfolk commentary would have you believe. OK the defender makes a mistake but even then Ashton is still 30 yards or so out and with three defenders nearby. He drives forward, a lovely step over for a big fella and great strike into the far corner. Make no mistake that is one of the best goals scored by a Norwich striker for years. Thing I like about Ashton is he has no fear and will shoot whenever he has a chance.    

BUT, the bad bit was when he got right into the box later on, Leon screams for the ball on the edge of the six yard box and Adshton only has to roll into his path and we''re looking at 4-1 and three priceless points. Inexplicably he decides to cut the ball right back to the edge of the box, the move breaks down and Palace break away and score. 

We still have a chance with Ashton and McKenzie lively and scoring but we MUST win the 2 home games this week and hope that the others slip up.

I have to say I cringed too when I saw Ashton''s ridiculous cut back to Bentley having ignored McKenzie for a tap in. But that''s inexperience for you. He probably thought we had the points in the bag at 3-1 up and could showboat a bit. He also probably forgot that we have Fleming in our defence, so any team can score at any time.

But judging by how seriously pi***d off Ashton looked and sounded in his BBC interview an hour later I think he''s learnt a valuable lesson.

I think if i had written this thread it would be "Ashton- the good and the bloody amazing!" For me we have been craving a guy like this ever since Sutton left.  He might be a bit inexperienced at this level but that will come.  The guy is our best signing in I don''t know how long

[quote]I think if i had written this thread it would be "Ashton- the good and the bloody amazing!" For me we have been craving a guy like this ever since Sutton left. He might be a bit inexperienced at this...[/quote]

i agree. And hes beginning to look every penny worth the nearly 4million we paid.

He has a great first touch, can hold it up, can run with it, is great in the air, great on the floor, has a wicked shot, an amazing advantage from corner, free-kicks etc.

His height is something we have lacked with Svensson out-of favour. I remember starting with Rivers and McVeigh upfront last season, and this promblem is now solved!

To sum him up: Hes a great person, and is great all around, and hopefully will be great for the future!

Agree with you in part Yellow Rider - Whilst I do not think one missed pass deserves the bad part of the thread I also cringed and shouted out for him to pass it to Leon even when we were on the box and I knew that he obvsiouly didnt cos Leon could not have failed but score.   That really would have wrapped the game up at 4-1 and it''s things like that I am afraid that will determine our finish. 

It''s great to have a player who can get in those positions in the first place. Regardless of where we are next season we have a player who will score goals and also improves players around him like McKenzie. Either way if Deano carries on then he''ll be worth a hell of a lot more than we paid for him

Actually I think his pass to Bentley was the right pass. Bentley was open. McKenzie had two defenders around him. Sure he may have scored, but with the space Bentley had a bit more care and attention from him and he also may have scored.

Ashton''s first goal was a little bit of class. He made the run as if to go to the front post and took Fitz Hall with him. Then once Hall had latched mentally onto Francis and the ball Ashton peeled away. Great run. Who cares about the finish - from 6 yards out all that''s important is to get it in.

His second goal was well taken as well. Mind you if the defenders are backing off you like that then there''s no reason not to keep on going.

I think you''re being a bit harsh on Deano.  If Bentley had smashed that cross into the top corner, we would all be saying what great vision Ashton had.

Big Dean is playing out of his skin and has really settled into the Premiership.  What we don''t want is him playing too well in the remaining games and Middlesborough or someone coming in and snatching him in the summer.

Whatever chance we have of getting out of this mess rests on Dean Ashtons broad shoulders. He is a quality striker playing out of his skin.. Would anyone really swap him for Crouch?

Not knocking Crouchy at all as I am definitely a fan and pleased for him that things are working out at Southampton - (hopefully not at our expense, ultimately) - but IMO Dean Ashton appears to be a more complete player already and will continue to improve, all being well.  That can only bode well for us wherever we are next season as the board would be outrageously daft to sell their most prized asset while his stock is rising with almost every passing minute - oh yes, and we need him!  Who could we replace him with at about or below the same price as he is currently worth?  Half of Darren Bent perhaps, but which half would you want?

[quote]I think you''re being a bit harsh on Deano. If Bentley had smashed that cross into the top corner, we would all be saying what great vision Ashton had. Big Dean is playing out of his skin and has rea...[/quote]

i have to agree, some supporters on here are to eager to side pick and finger point, sure flemming had a bad game, but we did beat united 2-0 didnt we?

Sure ashton could have done better, but if bently would have scored, hed be a hero.

If your so sure, why dont you go do it yourself?