Sign in to follow this  
STAN

Was sacking Hughton the right decision?

Adams vs Hughton.. has your opinion changed now we''ve played Fulham, Liverpool and United?

With hindsight who would you fancy to get a vital 4 points out of Fulham, Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal?

Personally my money would be on Chrissy H.

Yes he should''ve gone in December/January.. but sacking him with 5 games to go was idiocy.. Lineker and co. were right.

Irrelivent to be honest. Sunderlands run of form has meant that neither manager would have kept us up. It''s now looking like we would need 39 points and that just would not have happened.

Is that "yes" it was the right decision to sack him, or "yes" your opinion has changed?

God how many more times is this going to be posted - it does not matter who was manager the players are not good enough full stop.

Yes it was. There was no hope with Hughton, - his teams had a poor (thrashing) record against the top teams, and a poor record against Fulham.

There was a (very slight) hope that Adams could perform a minor miracle with players completely demoralised.

Well quite frankly it does matter..

if the players simply "aren''t good enough" we''d have been rock bottom all season.

Most definitely it was because he was useless. But then, on the other hand, it''s a shame he won''t be here to witness our final humiliation.Whilst we get relegated & have to deal with the pain of that, he can sit at home with his feet up counting his compensation and claim that it wasn''t his fault & he would have kept us up.

We will never know, and it will depend on what side of the fence you sat as to what your opinion will be I gues. What I think the overwhelming majority will have a consistent view on though, is whether WHEN Chris Hughton was sacked was the right time or not as mentioned in a previous response?  

[quote user="STAN"]Is that "yes" it was the right decision to sack him, or "yes" your opinion has changed?[/quote]

your title asked one question, i answered it

[quote user="Making Plans"]Most definitely it was because he was useless. But then, on the other hand, it''s a shame he won''t be here to witness our final humiliation.Whilst we get relegated & have to deal with the pain of that, he can sit at home with his feet up counting his compensation and claim that it wasn''t his fault & he would have kept us up.[/quote]^^^ This

Yes totallly the right decision. The damage was done long ago with the abject and dire performances produced by Hughtons poor poor team.

Adams didn''t stand a chance.

Getting right next time is more important now. Not Adams.

City 2nd "Yes totallly the right decision. The damage was done long ago with the abject and dire performances produced by Hughtons poor poor team.

Adams didn''t stand a chance."

Not entirely true, surely - he had a chance against a very poor Fulham team, now relegated. And a very poor Man U team, as Sunderland - nailed on for relegation a few weeks back - demonstrated this afternoon.

The problem was the board screwed up in their decision to keep Hughton as long as he kept us out of the bottom 3. This never made sense with teams around us having games in hand (especially Sunderland) and us having an ultra difficult run in. Total lack of foresight.

Adams, Delia, "The Board", McNally - none to blame for the run Sunderland has put together.  Reckon with Houghton still in charge we''d have taken a point from Fulham so would be one point better off but still completely f*cked.Was it right to sack him? Yep, but not when the club finally did.  Still, clear out and move on, I''ve seen fifty-nine seasons and the sixtieth will be another chapter for new heroes to write.

It''s obviously with hindsight the wrong decision to sack him when we did with 5 games to go. We should have either sacked him much earlier or stuck with him. Its turned out that Mcnally did the worst possible thing and sacked him at the wrong time and its cost us along with the position Hughton put us in dangerously close to the relegation zone. I guess you can''t blame Adams for the resuls, he''s a youth team coach for goodness sake. Basically everyone on here wanted him gone around the xmas period, they chose not to, so why sack him with 5 important games to go? I''m sure Mcnally had his reasons but the fact that they''ve turned out to have gone horribly wrong, Adams having not won a game, the CEO''s got a lot to answer for. Thats not me being bitter because Hughton got the sack with 5 games to go, its me saying what the hell were you doing Mcnally

Agree Bor.

Was it true that the board voted 3:3 to offload Hughton in December and Delia and MWJ as joint majority shareholders had the casting vote and decided to keep him? We''ll never know but if so I hope it wasn''t because he''s a very nice man. Still if Worthy is appointed manager with Gunn as his assistant and Roeder as first team coach we might be inclined to think it was.  

Yes.

12 wins in last 50 league games.

Over a goal scored in only 16 / 70 league games.

Bar a freak 10 game unbeaten run in 2012 things were poor.

Without question he wrecked the Lambert legacy and has relegated a good enough squad.

The shameful thing is that he was in place in August. He should have been dispensed with after last year''s fiasco of a season. We narrowly escaped relegation last May. We''ve gone one better this year.

We finished 11th last season Reggie? Thats a good finishing place for a team like us, but you can''t defend Hughton this year, he threatened us with the chance of relegation and when that happens you''re always on a slippery slope

Probably right overall, but too late and for me not worth it when they got round to it.....so I guess it is a ''no'' because of the timing. As it goes, things could have not possibly gone any worse (points wise) under Hughton, and despite those who think otherwise, the facts are that he had a very good record against the big sides at home.

With Hughton at the helm all I could see was losses in all of the remaining fixtures.

Sacking him was a final throw of the dice to see if we could eek out a couple of surprise wins. It hasn''t worked out, but at least I suppose they made a move.

Just annoying that where many could see that we needed to change things ages ago, the few that make the decisions didn''t seem to.