Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

What is a plastic

Bit of a stupid question as its so widely used on here, but what is a plastic fan? (without giving me this website: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic ). ?

To me a Plastic is nothing more or less than a glory hunter. A fan who supports a team because of their status as a top team and for no other reason. To me it''s not about how many games you attend, if you are a season ticket holder, where you live, how many replica shirts you have. As long as you have genuine passion for your team and will follow them through good and bad times then that''s good enough for me.

There are some retarded individuals on this board who believe being a plastic is more about when and how you support rather than why you support. These elitist scumbags are simply jealous that other people could possibly share the same passion as them.

They''re the ones that turn up in your local wearing the replica Man City, Chelsea etc. tops, swearing their undying love for the club, at exactly the same time as the team wins something. They are glory hunters basically.

"Where were you when we were shit?" is their theme tune.

You should try living where I do. Not a league club within 60 miles. So the freedom to choose whichever club they like. Never been to a match, no intention of ever going to one either but quite prepared to denigrate Naridge as a thing to laugh at and about and talking of "we", when referring to the club they currently think fashionable to follow, "beat you 4-0 at our place"!

Thick skinned I am.

A plastic is someone who is not from Norwich, or has moved away, and pretends to "support" the club. They usually secretly prefer rugger. The OP is a prime example.

thanks to everyone who replied, I thought it was more about if you go to games than glory hunting. Btw mr bear, where do you think I live and do you know if i''m a season ticket holder? you''ve clearly got a bit of a thing for me ;)

I work with a ''plastic''.Norwich born and bred but supports Liverpool ''cos mummy and daddybought him a replica shirt when he was still in nappies.Slags off Norwich all season long and talks drivel about Liverpool.He didn''t even know about Heysel for Gods sake.Often felt like punching his lights out but as I say, have to work with the twunt.Now that''s a plastic for you.

[quote user="Barnaby Bear"]A plastic is someone who is not from Norwich, or has moved away, and pretends to "support" the club. They usually secretly prefer rugger. The OP is a prime example.[/quote]

Why would someone want to pretend to support Norwich for? It can''t be for the glory...can it???

Especially pretending to support Norwich, lets face it, it''s not like we''re a big big club, with our fare share of promotions and relegations.

Les wrote the following post at 05/05/2014 4:41 PM:

I work with a ''plastic''.

Norwich born and bred but supports Liverpool ''cos mummy and daddy

bought him a replica shirt when he was still in nappies.

Slags off Norwich all season long and talks drivel about Liverpool.

He didn''t even know about Heysel for Gods sake.

Often felt like punching his lights out but as I say, have to work with the twunt.

Now that''s a plastic for you.

Slagging off Norwich and abusing City players would surely qualify someone?

I guess it depends on what you would call abusing players. There''s that line that you cross, but imo (not that i even knew what a plastic was) it perhaps doesn''t determine that you''re a plastic. For example, the man and his son running onto the football pitch v colchester to rip and throw the season ticket at bryan gunn, i would say they''re both very passionate about norwich (perhaps a little too much).

[quote user="Barnaby Bear"]A plastic is someone who is not from Norwich, or has moved away, and pretends to "support" the club. They usually secretly prefer rugger. The OP is a prime example.[/quote]

This kind of statement is beyond stupid. You''re embracing the imbread cousin fcuking webbed toed stereotype well with that one. So just what of you clarify as being from Norwich? Inner ring road, outer ring road, NR postcode? Do you have to have been born at the old Norfolk and Norwich as the new one is too far out of the city? Please enlighten us with your superior thinking!

Being born and living your entire life within the Ring Road and having possessed a season ticket in excess of twenty years is the bare minimum for real fan status.

Norwich City, a LOCAL club for LOCAL people!

Playing into the hands of the inbred accusers there.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Waveney/Thorpe end/Barnaby, why do you have so many usernames ?[/quote]

Don''t forget simple jack

Isn''t it ironic that someone who joined the forum a week ago is accusing people of being a plastic?

Strangely, the length of time you''ve wasted reading drivel on this forum is far from a good measure of your supporter status.

Do you have a season ticket? Do you go to games?

They''re the only criteria that matter.

I''m guessing you come up short on both counts.

And strangely the amount of time you have wasted posting drivel on this forum isn''t a good measure of your supporter status either.

No I don''t have a season ticket, I go to whatever games I can which isn''t many.

But then I feel a lot better about myself than you do because I know I''m not a bitter little troll who has to abuse other supporters to increase his/her self esteem.

[quote user="Jenkins"]Slagging off Norwich and abusing City players would surely qualify someone?[/quote]That would qualify half the population of this message board.

[quote user="Barnaby Bear"]Strangely, the length of time you''ve wasted reading drivel on this forum is far from a good measure of your supporter status. Do you have a season ticket? Do you go to games? They''re the only criteria that matter. I''m guessing you come up short on both counts.[/quote]

I think I understand where you are coming from Mr Bear, but you are completely wrong and I suspect the duration od support for City is much less than many on this board. Having a season ticket the definition of a "real fan"? Really? I know season ticket holders who are the supporters of other clubs, I know season ticket holders who use the tickets for "corporate entertaining" and I know season tickets holders who just fancy something to do. Equally, I know supporters who can''t go regularly beacuse they actually play Saturdays, or work or like many here life has taken them elsewhere in the world. Are you really sayin that the "real supporters" are limited to the 20k or so season ticket holders? At least we will never need to expand the ground.

I don’t think I can ever remember the fanbase on this forum being as polarised as it has been over the last 18 months, which seems to have lead to constant accusations of being a “plastic” levelled at anyone who does not share the same view as some self-opinionated posters.

Yes, the “big” teams will always have their fair share of glory seeking “plastic” fans, but Norwich? Come on, get real. Why would anyone pretend to be a supporter of the Canaries unless they had a genuine affection for the club? Certainly not for the glory.

Too many posters on here seem to denegrate others because they live too far away to attend many matches (often in other countries). We live in a transient society, with people often having to relocate in order to advance (or in some case, secure) their careers and look after their families.

Others may be unable to attend for financial, work commitment, or health reasons. Does that give those of us who do attend matches the right to label them as “lesser” fans than us? I don’t think so. Surely the mere fact that they still want the team to do well should endear them to any true Canaries fan.

I might add that I live within 200yds of the outer ring road, attend all home games (except when Sunday matches clash with my work) and some away games. My father and grandfather were also Norwich supporters (watching games at the nest). However I was born close to White Hart Lane, only moving to Norwich in 1966. If that makes me a plastic, then so be it. I support Norwich because I love the club, and welcome anyone else who shares the same affection for it.