Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

Hooper back to Celtic?

[quote user="AidanC"]Okay Morty I ask you this, how has he became so awful? Would you agree our forward mentality / coaching is to blame with all our strike force ?[/quote]All Chris Hughton''s fault[Y]

With all these rumours, once we know where we''re playing next year we need to sort out the manager ASAP.  Then we need to sort out which of these players - especially all 4 strikers - want a move and who is up for a promotion campaign in the Champ (assuming that''s where we end up).

Whoever wants a move should be sold pronto then we should spend the money on replacements.  Simples.

Elmander presumably will go at the end of his loan; the 4th striking position could be filled by a youth player.  With RVW it really depends if we can get a good fee and if his wages don''t have a relegation clause, then we''ll get rid.

Hooper and Becchio are tough to call - it really depends on whether they have the appetite for it and whether anyone like Celtic makes a good offer for us.  I could see them as an excellent strike pairing in the Champ.

What this season has shown (once again in my opinion) is that the Scottish premier league is on a par with the championship and league 1 quality wise. Hooper would be quite successful at those levels. I''m also thinking the Portuguese top division is of a similar level of quality.

I never did get this "the way he has been treated" stuff, whether it has been Wes, Becchio, for or any other player...........being a professional footballer is a bit of a privelege and when not in the team doing what they are paid to do and yet still get paid to sit on the bench or go home and watch tv, then thats a job we would all love. I also dont have much time for the "he deserved a better send off" type comments either.....but I am a GOM apparently.

As for Hooper, surely he is the one we do our best to keep if we go down, would certainly notch a few at that level, I would like to say the same about RVW, really would, but really am getting the feeling we have his twin brother the Dutch hockey player! 

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]What this season has shown (once again in my opinion) is that the Scottish premier league is on a par with the championship and league 1 quality wise. Hooper would be quite successful at those levels. I''m also thinking the Portuguese top division is of a similar level of quality.[/quote]

I just don''t think you can make that sort of comparison based on the chances Hooper has had this season (both in the box and in the team).

Last autumn when he got a regular run in the team and was paired with Elmander he looked very effective as a goal poacher, which is how he played at Celtic.  Played as a lone striker he looked completely ineffective which is not surprising for a player who''s a goal poacher but simply lacks the physical attributes of size/strength or pace needed to play as a lone striker.

Like all our forward line he''s lost his finishing touch as the season has worn on, mainly IMO due to lack of practice.

The answer is simple - he''s a goal poacher and will be effective in a team that can create chances for that sort of player.  This season we haven''t, so he''s not been effective.

[quote user="Hughtons Anti Football"]Dont forget hooper was 24hrs away from signing for championship side QPR so dont be suprised to see him stay. I think he will get a hatfull in the championship and we should build are side around his talents.[/quote]

What talent does he have? This is hilarious.

We don''t know what was said to Becchio to convince him to come to Norwich, but I would suggest that if you''ve just scored 15 goals in 25 games and think you''re about to get your big chance in the Prem and then go on to make 2 starts in 18 months you can feel unfairly treated. Some may disagree.

I also find the argument of he''s getting paid to not play games baffling, who would have the desire to be a top footballer but not want to/be happy to not actually play?

It depends on what the Neil or a new manager will say to convince him but I can see Becchio moving on this summer.

Hooper would be quality in the Championship and I actually think the pair of them together could prolific if played in the right system.

[quote user="jaemae2"]Seriously, Hooper wouldn''t be "quality" anywhere but the Ryman League or below.[/quote]

Absolute nonsense. He''ll be a great asset to have in the Champs.

[quote user="Hughtons Anti Football"]Hmmm really ? Well we all know thats utter bollocks dont we.[/quote]

What about this year makes you think he won''t be over his head there. He''s a garbage player and as much a waste of money as RvW was. Both way over their heads.

Exactly. NOTHING. I seriously seriously hope he leaves, then maybe we''d have a chance of coming back to the PL next year. With him we will be lucky to finish anything above 16th.

[quote user="jaemae2"]Exactly. NOTHING. I seriously seriously hope he leaves, then maybe we''d have a chance of coming back to the PL next year. With him we will be lucky to finish anything above 16th.[/quote]There wont be many better strikers than Hooper in the Championship if we are lucky enough to keep him . As for his record this season , well its not good but he still bagged about the same as Holt in his season under Hughton . Bottom line is that every striker that has pulled on a City shirt since Hughton took over has been a complete flop . Maybe even RVW would improve greatly when a new manager comes in , you can be sure he will start scoring again if he leaves .

Hooper and RVW have something to prove and will want to put this season behind them and start scoring for fun like they used to. I hope they both choose to do it at Norwich.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="jaemae2"]Exactly. NOTHING. I seriously seriously hope he leaves, then maybe we''d have a chance of coming back to the PL next year. With him we will be lucky to finish anything above 16th.[/quote]There wont be many better strikers than Hooper in the Championship if we are lucky enough to keep him . As for his record this season , well its not good but he still bagged about the same as Holt in his season under Hughton . Bottom line is that every striker that has pulled on a City shirt since Hughton took over has been a complete flop . Maybe even RVW would improve greatly when a new manager comes in , you can be sure he will start scoring again if he leaves .[/quote]

I don''t nec. disagree. Holt scored more than 3 from run of play and didn''t live off penalties other people created. I''d be less harsh if Hooper actually scored goals from run of play. His goal at Swansea was very good, the other goal he made a good central run for the tap in so I won''t discredit him, his 3rd he had nothing to do with and was solely due to idiotic goalkeeping error.

morty wrote the following post at 06/05/2014 6:53 PM:

I suspect that RVW will be loaned out next season.

I would imagine that will be the case but i would rather he proves himself here at championship level.

[quote user="JF"]morty wrote the following post at 06/05/2014 6:53 PM:

I suspect that RVW will be loaned out next season.

I would imagine that will be the case but i would rather he proves himself here at championship level.[/quote]I guess that is up to the new manager. But I suspect we would quite like to offload his wages somewhere, and let him get his confidence back, perhaps in Holland.

Thing is if we are to have one big push at a return first time around i would imagine we could afford the wages of this squad. Record parachute payments and being debt free. I believe Newcastle did something similar when they went down? Would the club be bold enough to take a gamble on that and say you lot got us here, you get us back.

[quote user="JF"]Thing is if we are to have one big push at a return first time around i would imagine we could afford the wages of this squad. Record parachute payments and being debt free. I believe Newcastle did something similar when they went down? Would the club be bold enough to take a gamble on that and say you lot got us here, you get us back.[/quote]Possibly. But how much of a gamble do you want to take, bearing in mind we have just got ourselves financially sorted.Depends on the relegation pay clauses in players contracts too.

I would say the first season, i''m not sure of the amount of payments we receive but surely it would cover this squads wage bill. If we could financially do it then go for it. Im sure this squad with the right manager would get out of that league first time around. If they didnt then clear out next summer.

[quote user="JF"]I would say the first season, i''m not sure of the amount of payments we receive but surely it would cover this squads wage bill. If we could financially do it then go for it. Im sure this squad with the right manager would get out of that league first time around. If they didnt then clear out next summer.[/quote]It depends very much on the players though, some will obviously want to leave.The most reassuring thing though is that if they do, we can hold out for a proper price, rather than have a fire sale.

[quote user="JF"]I would say the first season, i''m not sure of the amount of payments we receive but surely it would cover this squads wage bill. If we could financially do it then go for it. Im sure this squad with the right manager would get out of that league first time around. If they didnt then clear out next summer.[/quote]

I would agree with that and would not wan generalt carnage during the summer months.

The manager must be appointed straight away. I am a Malky enthusiast, but isn''t there something about him not being able to take up another appointment until the settlement issue with Cardiff is resolved?

The parachutes amount to nearly £60m over  four years, but not evenly spread out. We will also have money in the bank.

We had £7m in cash assets last season, I believe after the spending (or at least after the RVW lay out)  and after the debt was repaid. This season that is just finishing was the bumper one whereby we will collect a greatly increased amount from TV. We no longer have to pay any interest either and this was £1m in 1412-13 apparently.

Let''s hope that these relegation clauses in all the big earning players contracts are realistic and not a figment of McNally''s exaggeration.

I''m sure you are correct re Malky and his contract Broadstairs. I really don''t think he will be our next manager.

With all this valid talk of who stays and goes it just highlights how important we get the managerial appointment correct together with his coaching staff asap. Any appointment is a risk but we need someone who can attract new players where required and encourage the likes of Hooper et al to stay. Sorry Jaimie but your opinion of Hooper is er just wrong!! Under new management you will see the player we all expected.

Neither Hooper or RVW fought hard enough for us in my opinion. I have seen little evidence of a desire to play for Norwich, and if they did stay it now appears they can''t make step up if we were promoted.

When Grant left we had a vacancy for a new hero - none of our strikers were man enough to step up. It''s not just the lack of goals, more the lack of application.