Sign in to follow this  
luke young

Are you lot for real???

Over the last two days i have never heard and read so much rubbish from one set of fans in my life. I have always had so much respect for your club and fans. I think Deliah is a top girl and before the start of the season i really wanted you to stay up (with us of course)

I have read comments like Andy Johnson should never play for England again, His a disgrace and the palace fans should be ashamed of him etc etc.

Lets look at the facts shall we. Im sure most of you have had a chance to watch the game and all of the incidents. Is there anyone who knows anything about football that can say palace should not have had ATLEAST 2 penalties in the first half?? The handball was clear cut and the guy Safri should have walked and Freedman was clearly fouled in the box.

The ref had a poor game, Hughes should have seen red for his awful tackle. But time after time Huckerby was rewarded a free kick for challenges similar to those that AJ was not given penalties for. It works both ways!!!

Yes the penalty decision was poor, and i agree he dived but there was contact. Maybe you need to start questioning your defenders? the ball was going out of play so why the need for the challenge?

I have heard people calling for video evidence saying it may be the difference between you staying up or going down. What absolute B******s!! If video evidence was in place you would have been down to ten and we would have been 2 or 3 - 1 up at half time!!

And as for your EASY EASY EASY chants.................... well need i say anymore

At the end of the day, we lost 2 incredibly critical points from a dive. Two points which, ultimately, might cost us our Premiership status.

Further, you were gifted 1 point unfairly. That one point might be the difference between us staying up, and you beating us to it.

Although admittedly, those two points lost/one point gained might mean diddly squad at the end of the day.

Yes, Huckerby does it too, but did his dives cost you two points? Hardly.

Also, yes, you had two clear cut penalty''s not given, but isn''t that football? Fact is, the dive that shouldn''t have been a penalty was, and it cost us two points.

Can''t disagree with what you have said, really could have conceded a hatful of pens before conceding what looked to be a soft one.

Shackell should not have been suckered into a challenge, perhaps a change of personnel was needed at 3-1, too easy to say now of course.

Criticism of AJ only to be expected, however Darren H has on occasions been guilty of looking for pens.

Easy Easy perhaps a bit premature, not until end of Utd match, please take note.

Point not good enough for either but if Palace can''t beat at home team with poorest away, goals against records sorry not hopeful for either of us. 

have to say I agree with you mate.  I haven''t read what others have posted over the weekend, but I was listening on the radio and have seen some replays and there were at least 2 definite penalties that we got away with in the first half.   It was obvious that you would get a penalty in the second half if it even looked remotely like contact, the referee had to make amends for terrible decisions.   AJ should not be ridiculed, he got his team a penalty and scored, so what if he dived to get it, that''s unfortunately what strikers do in todays game and if it was Huckerby who would be complaining then?

What you need to remember is that you don''t always get every decision and you have to take the rough with the smooth.  I agree you should have had at least one penalty on Saturday, it''s a pity that it came from a blatant dive which is why we are all gutted.  The other side to the coin of course is that no-one complains when it''s your own player who dives, look at Micheal Owen in the last 2 World Cups against Argentina, who was moaning then? 

If you didn''t have Johnson you would be miles behind us now, he is involved in everything that your team does.  If you are to stay up then he deserves Player of the Year, IMO.

Luke Young

You bet your life I am for real. Ok the Safri one was a penalty which you were unlucky was not given however in my opinion none of the Johnson ones were penalties. Yes there was some contact but that does not make it a penalty. The problem is that Johnsons entire game revolves around getting the ball in the box, drawing a bit of contact with the defenders and then flinging himself on the floor looking for a penalty. His actions turn the whole game into a farce and are symbolic of the kind of behaviour that is ruining football. You guys may well be bleating about the ref on saturday but if he had done his job and booked Johnson for his blatant dive early on then he would either not have continued with his antics or he would have been sent off by the time he dived for the penalty he was awarded.

In my opinion as an all round player he is not remotely in the same class as the proper striker who banged in two goals for us at the other end.

To put Johnson in the England squad and have him up for player of the season sends out totally the wrong message. The FA should be clamping down on these sort of antics and looking to boot them out of the game rather than encouraging it.

Johnson play for England again? LOL! Indeed, he should never play for them again, not just because he is a diving cheat but because he is sh*t! He can only get and score you penalties, and you would be down and out without him.

sadly I have to agree with you too. But onwards and upwards, its still all to play for and whatever anyone says it was very very exciting and possibly worth the £35!

On another (irrelevant) note I thought the announcer who told the City fans to sit down, when the whole of the Palace end was standing, was a bit cheeky. But a good day out all in all. (although got lost...........again)

[quote]sadly I have to agree with you too. But onwards and upwards, its still all to play for and whatever anyone says it was very very exciting and possibly worth the £35! On another (irrelevant) note I t...[/quote]

To be fair to Rob Fox (the Palace announcer) he wasn''t asking the Norwich away fans to sit down. There were Norwich fans sitting in the home end (the Main Stand to be exact) who were standing and cheering (not the most inteligent thing to do if you''re sitting in the wrong end) and he was asking them to sit down.

Andy Johnson ****?? I think that just says it all about your obvious lack of footballing knowledge alex.

I honestly cannot believe Norwich fans are moaning about the ref or any of the decisions he made. It was after all him that prevented them from getting an absolute hammering! If he had a half decent game the decision for the penalty would not have been an issue as we would have been about 5-3 ahead (thats if you would have got your two goals if you were down to 10 which i very much doubt)

Maybe you guys should be more honest about things just like your manager.............. A true gent

EASY EASY EASY EASY EASY!!!

I seem to be the only person to feel that the Safri penalty apeal was met with the correct response, no penalty.

I watched match of the day last night and it looked undeliberate and I am not convinced that there was a good appeal for one. My understanding of the situation is that Safri had already made the block but the ball came off his knee away from goal and on to his arm. There was no challenger near him and there was no reason to give a penalty. He certainly should not have been sent off even if a penalty had been given. It was a lot different to the Jenson incident - he dived like a goalie to stop the ball going in!

As for AJ''s dive. I would like to see him given a lengthy suspension and I cant believe that the ref didnt see it. The guys on match of the day thought that it was defenitely not a penalty. There was no contact other than LEGAL shoulder to shoulder. AJ dived like he had been thrown by an explosion - an incredible performance resulting in a 1.2 from the olympic ice figure skating committee!

Also Sam Alladice pointed out that Ashton has a better scoring record when you consider goals from open play. AJ has scored ten penalties! Without them we would be above Palace! One thing I want to know is how many penalties we have had over the last couple of seasons. I doubt we have had 5 let alone 10. And no, I dont want to see a fairy balerina like him playing at Norwich. I am quite happy with Deano and Leon beating seven shades of you know what out of defences. I am just gutted we didnt score more, and held onto a lead that should not have been surrendered.

Most of your points are sound Luke, but I just wanted to say that if you look at your Holmesdale site you will see an equally mixed bag of opinions from your own fans about the ''Easy'' chant (which you started after going 1-0 up) - both sides looking silly on that one then -, about AJ''s credibility (a veritable row going on about that one with opinions ranging from ''carry on'' to ''he''s a disgrace'') - both sides reflecting similarly then but with rather more anger at this end as you might expect -, and about the performance of the ref with views ranging from ''if you look again he got the decisions right apart from the actual one he gave which never was'' to ''a completely incompetent ******'' - again quite a bit of agreement from both sides, if perhaps for different reasons. Different people on both sides will see things differently always so my only advice is not to assume that everyone of yellow and green persuasion disagrees with your view, but then again not to assume that every Palace fan does either!  Not that you have assumed...I''m just assuming  you might have!!!

I''m not getting into the AJ/England argument as he''s not had enough of a chance to perform at that level yet for me to comment, however I think it unlikely that when/if wearing the shirt he will play in quite the same way as he does for you - and you can read into that what you like.  In any case, I think we might have someone who could be wearing that shirt in the not-too-distant future and he was praised by the Sky commentatiors the previous weekend for not going down in the box when he could so easly have done so.  I think he will eventually turn out to be a better prospect for England..although you are perfectly entitled to disagree.

I see you have Rob Styles again for your match on Wednesday.  A good or bad thing do you think?

Yep your right susie i do disagree

Ashton is an outstanding talent and one i would love to of seen at selhurst playing for the palace, him and AJ up front and we could of been looking at a place in europe

The easy chants, well yeh at 1 nil up there were a few of our lot that did it but only a few. Not 3 thousand!

And as for having Rob styles again on wednesday, i can''t work out whether or not im happy actually. He is the poorest ref i have seen all season but im hoping he will look back on his mistakes from saturday and give us 2/3 penalties to make up for it

Quote: "It was the eighth penalty given in Johnson''s favour this season, and the 12th Palace have received, more than double the number awarded to any other Premiership club. Ten of the dozen have been converted, accounting for more than a quarter of Palace''s goals, and more than half of Johnson''s. They are significant statistics, and while not necessarily highlighting a blatant tactic, they suggest a pattern." Unquote......

That report comes from Martin Smith of the Telegraph.

Quote: "It says something about the player and something about his club, but perhaps even more about the moral bankruptcy of the national game, that Crystal Palace''s hopes of staying up appear to depend entirely upon Andrew Johnson''s penchant for going down. His willingness to run through brick walls in the cause lasts only until he sees the white of the penalty-area lines, where a puff off wind, a protruding blade of grass or, occasionally, the merest contact with a defender can be enough to put him flat on his face." Unquote......

That report from Keith Pike of the Times.

Tend to agree with both their comments, and it doesn''t do Johnson any favours, remember the boy who cried: "Wolf!"

Ashton is a much better striker than Johnson will ever hope to be!

OTBC ;~)

Lazy and very poor journalism, thats all it is. These guys don''t like a bottom side like palace having an England international its as simple as that. Its typical of the way the press are, constantly trying to bring down and criticise a successful professional. They will probably start on Ashton soon if he carries on the way his going. Their predictions that palace would be relegated by Christmas were all totally wrong and they really don''t like it.

Quotes like that really don''t bother me at all. Simple fact is if Johnson keeps getting fouled in the box we will keep getting penalties and thats just fine by me.

[quote]Johnson play for England again? LOL! Indeed, he should never play for them again, not just because he is a diving cheat but because he is sh*t! He can only get and score you penalties, and you would b...[/quote]

We don''t need a 3rd diver in the England squad - Owen and Rooney are enough !!

The point is whether Saffri or Shackell walked onto the pitch before the game with the intent of cheating.

Johnson did and has done one numerous occasions (those occasions are when Palace are playing)

Be under no illusions. The other claims were debatable. The penalty was not. It was not a penalty.

Even were there to have been a previous penalty awarded a goal was not guaranteed.

Johnsons behaviour and continued presence in football only brings further shame. That it has now been noticed and commented upon by so many football correspondents only adds further to that shame.

Palace fans should stop trying to justify intentional cheating.

[quote]Lazy and very poor journalism, thats all it is. These guys don''t like a bottom side like palace having an England international its as simple as that. Its typical of the way the press are, constantly ...[/quote]

"Simple fact is if Johnson keeps getting fouled in the box we will keep getting penalties "

And the other simple fact is that if Johnson isn''t fouled in the box you will still keep getting penalties.

Johnson should get a chance to show what he can do for England. The fact that he''s quick and cunning enough to get himself in positions where he can fairly be awarded penalties doesn''t mean that he dives, and he played a big part in their second goal. Shacks struggled to cope with him, but he''s not alone in that. And anyway their defence struggled to cope with Ashton.A draw was fair, so we really can''t complain. Palace are a good club with a good manager, despite being handicapped with a dodgy chairman. But a club''s bigger than its chairman, and he won''t be around for ever. Palace got promoted by getting underrated players to play to their potential, which is how we did it. Dowie''s great - good luck to him.

Didn''t want to start a new thread when this one is kinda along the same lines. I thought i''d come on here and see a lot of threads about the next two matches in a more positive note. All I see is doom and gloom, angry faces etc. We have two home games ahead and a real chance to get six with abit of luck, and let''s face it, luck plays as much a part in football at times as does skill. How else could Milwall get in the FA Cup final??

Anyway, not having a go at anyone in particular, was just a bit surprised at the all the threads!

I still wear my red underwear I know that''s probably long gone for many, and I''ve also stuck to my promise of eating meat pies if we win! I had one after the Man U game, kind a made me feel sick but i did it! My other promise was that I would eat 18 of them and a big 500g steak after our last game if we stay up! I''ll do it (though perhaps over the season break)...

Anyways, what I am trying to say is that all we can do is stay positive, however you do it, no matter whether you think we''re done for or not... let''s get behind the lads... and they''ll repay us plenty!

ONWARD NORWICH CITY!!

I think all this amounts to what may be called the new morality. Because Palace were probably badly treated in the first half, then diving in the second is quite justified. I too read the comments in the Times today and feel they are true, I''m far from impressed with Nigel Worthington''s comments that "I don''t blame the lad". What nonsense. Is this the image that we want our professional game to have? What about the effect on young people. Will the coach in future say, "Now we have done tackling and crossing into the box, today we will practice going down with effect in the penalty area". Have I read somewhere that Johnson is a nominee for Player of the Year? He is undoubtedly a fine player but perhaps his fall, which appears more ridiculous every time I seem it, should be held over for the next Baftas.

Never a truer word spoken Old Boy!! Fair play to you. I watched the incidents again last night and yes he did make the most of it, if it was Huckerby i would be annoyed but like someone pointed out earlier in the thread thats football! Making the most of a challenge in the box has always and will always happen and i''m 100% sure you guys have had and will have a penalty awarded that perhaps you shouldn''t. To say that penalty could have cost you you premiership survival is rediculous, as they say its a marathon not a sprint and you like us are in the bottom 3 as we have quite simply not performed over the whole season.

Anyway i do wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season. And im sure we are all united in wishing Bolton the best of luck for tonights game

[quote]Lazy and very poor journalism, thats all it is. These guys don''t like a bottom side like palace having an England international its as simple as that. Its typical of the way the press are, constantly ...[/quote]

Not lazy journalism. When 3 or 4 national media reports all come out with the same sort of stuff it tends to suggest there is a degree of truth in what they are saying. Ashton will never get the same sort of treatment as Johnson is getting because he is as honest as the day is long and doesn''t fling himself on the floor every time anyone gets anywhere near him.

As for the Easy chants - started by your lot when you went 1-0 up. All we were doing was flinging it back in your face in the same way you did to us later. Have to say however i think the way your fans celebrated a 3-3 draw at home in what was probably your most winnable fixture was a bit misguided. That was not a good result for Palace.

[quote]Didn''t want to start a new thread when this one is kinda along the same lines. I thought i''d come on here and see a lot of threads about the next two matches in a more positive note. All I see is doom...[/quote]

Well said Norm my antipodean mate !

Forget about last saturday, it''s done and dusted and nothing we say will alter it.

So let''s cross everything and pray for four nice home wins, like Bolton tonight, City, Spurs and Blackburn tomorrow night ! 

O T B C

So Jim are you suggesting the palace fans should not have celebrated coming back from 3-1 down? Get real mate! Yes of course a win would have been better but there are no fans in the bloody country who would not have celebrated that

Not suggesting you shouldn''t have celebrated simply pointing out that the celebrations were such that you would have thought you''d stayed up or won something when in reality you had scraped a draw. Singing Easy, Easy! in response to getting a 3-3 draw makes you look no less stupid than us singing it when we haven''t yet managed to kill the game off!

Oh dear Jim your totally off the mark on this one im afraid. Our celebrations were no greater or less than any time we have come back from being 3-1 down. And you know full well the Easy Easy chants at the end where only in response to yours. You must really be very bitter if your now picking holes in the way we celebrated. Sorry Jim we will try to keep the noise down next time.