Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Jim Brennan

Yesterday i mentioned McVeigh and today its the turn of Jim Brennan.  Along with Muller''s and McVeigh it is also reported that Brennan will be moving on at the end of the season (straight from the horses mouth) and by saying that, i mean there to be no hidden message about his ability.  I think Mullers has become lazy, McVeigh is lacking the quality he once so nearly promised, but i think to lose a left sided player with Brennans potential would be a loss for the club.  I reported on the site approximately a month ago about a summer exidous, although that posting was matched with remarks it will never happen, it looks as if it has already started.

If its reported how come its from the horses mouth ?  JB still got a year on his contract I understand, sorry to see him go but has only been used sparingly, not one of Nigels favourites obviously.

Don’t think a summer exodus would be that bad a thing. It would shake things up a bit.

The player out of those three I feel sorry for is Brennan, don’t think he ever get a fair chance unlike the other two. Forest fans thought he was a quality player, although now they see him more of a money mercenary than anything else!! If it does happened I hope Worthy can pull another Francis out of the bag as opposed to a Doherty!

With Mullers and McVeigh Worthys opinion of them is so coloured that they will never get a ''fair'' chance.  WLY in particular has been handled unjustly and would be a great squad player if we get relegated, in the prem his inconsitency has been highlighted but he has made an impact when coming on as a sub, while being ineffective starting.  We need squad players and WLY should fit this bill - but not with Worthy as his manager 

Mullers attitude has always got up my nose so thanks and so long. 

Brennan is a good squad player but is rightly third choice left back behind Drury and Charlie.  He is too limited to be a really effective midfielder so is left playing the squad role playing when others are injured, solidly as he showed when he played around the new year. 

If we get relegated I think both Brennan and WLY would be important players given the more demanding schedule so pushing them out of the door makes little sense unless a good financial offer was being made from the buying club.  However I also think both are too good to remain ''just'' squad players and could understand their desire to play first team elsewhere.

OTBC

A summer clear out is exactly what the club needs. Whats the point of paying wages to players who Worthy has no intention of playing? Surely it would be better to offload them & let Worthy buy some players who he likes. Atleast they will have a chance of playing. I have never been able to work Mullers out,he came so close to leaving us because he wanted to play in the Premiership,but after our Play-off final he decided to stay & hoped to get promoted with City.Well Mullers you did get promoted with City & you had your chance in the Prem,but what have you done about it? Sweet fanny adams basicly! Maybe you will get another chance of Prem football with Derby or watford,Cardiff,Preston or some other naff team that may want you!

I would feel the same about Brennan leaving as I do about WLY and Mullers.  He can go IMO.  His best position is left back and as Zippers said he''s a long way down the pecking order.  I wouldn''t be disappointed if he left

does anybody else think that some of the players that worthy has rejected may have turned out to be capable footballers, if they''d been given a fair crack of the whip? my theory(entirely unproven!)is that unless you give a player enough games to show what he can do, he loses all self-confidence and consequently when he''s finally given the opportunity to play he''s not up to scratch. examples: brennan(forest v reluctant to let him go),mcveigh,mulryne,briggs(stockport player of the season)and charlton.this is by no means a complete list of worthy rejects. some or most of these looked good until they were unceremoniously dropped.we may never have the chance now to see what brennan can do, which IMO is a great pity.

I dont at all think that Worthingtons treatment of WLY has been incorrect or unfair. Infact WLY was facing exactly the same problem when Worthington first took over, he may have promised but was not delivering.

It was Worthington that announced he had to kick him in the arse to get him going that time also, WLY went on to score quite a few goals and become a threatening attacking player rather than a miss-firing under performing Totenham reject. It was simply Worthington that got him to be that good.

I think WLY is one of those players that responds well to regular incouragement of different sorts but when you are playing at this level you have to motivate yourself a certain amount. Perhaps he has just failed to do that this season. If he stays which I hope he does, hopefully next year he can prove himself once more and then keep it going.

The problem is that he is really a striker and often ends up on the wing, this means he is an attacking player who doesnt track back as much as you would like. At the moment Hux is a better bet on the left and Bently on the right. They are lets face it more creative when it comes to going forward than WLY.

Is Simon Charlton being treated as to how he would like, I think he has received shabby treatment from Worthy and certainly not the first, if he goes which is possible because he impresses, if then if JB off no cover for Adam Drury, a position which is not acceptable.

Worthy''s man management again is suspect here. 

What is all this fair crack of the whip nonesense.

Don''t you think that they get Monday to Friday every week to impress with their ability and attitude.  Worthy sees a lot more of them than we do and I trust his judgement.

I think Macca can be brilliant and a fit and focussed one would be in my 16 every week.  A lazy not bothered one would play for the reserves with the kids.

Brennan and Mulryne are nearly in the same category but without that game winning ability.

When Worthy took over McVeigh asked him how he could become a better player and Worthy told him... he went away and did it.  He has obviously lost that attitude. 

It is not a long career to be a true professional for really is it.  You can retire at 35 and spend the next 40 years in as many pubs and clubs as you want.

If you look at Greeno and Leon and obviously Deano they all seem to want to be the best that their respective abilities will allow. FOCUS and BE THE BALL.

[quote]I dont at all think that Worthingtons treatment of WLY has been incorrect or unfair. Infact WLY was facing exactly the same problem when Worthington first took over, he may have promised but was not d...[/quote]

As you point out chicken WLY has not been played in his most advantageous position and only gets a game or so at a time when starting, so has no opportunity to play himself in.  Yet as soon as we lose a match or something goes wrong it is always WLY who gets the blame first and foremost by being dropped entirely or to the bench. Look at the Spurs result as a prime example.  Actually the team played well that day and Mcveigh was by no means the worst player yet he makes way first following Browns goal and then gets dropped not even making the bench as the club suffers an accute midfield crisis during Jan.   It was the same when we lost against Bradford last season - the whole side was poor yet McVeigh takes the blame

I agree that Bents, Hux and Jonson are better players and I advocate him as a squad player rather than a starter, but picking Jarvis and Henderson ahead of McVeigh in midfield made no sense at all.

Clearly Worthy has issues with WLY but part of the latters attitude can be explained by this unreasonable management. 

It seems as if the whole favourites scenario is starting all over again with Charlie - who did play poorly against Blackburn but totally out of position and has not been seen since despite easily being our best defender PS (pre-Shackell)

OTBC

I dont think Charlton has been treated badly! He is actual prefered position is left back. And for the last few matches it has been important to have someone with pace at full back, I would agree that he could replace Fleming without too much difficulty but it depends if he wants to play his prefered position or not.

Infact I am a bit surprised about the ratings that Drury has got in various reports recently. Having watched the Man U match he seemed to deal with Ronaldo very well indeed. He prevented him from having to much time and space to threaten and made blocks and tackles.

No disrespect to Charlton but when you have someone as fast as some of the wingers in this league you need to have someone that stands a chance of matching their pace. I think you will find that Worthington treats all of the players well. I find it difficult to find evidence that suggests otherwise especially when you consider incidents at Blackburn and Newcastle where players have come-together against the manager.

To me it just seems like another anti-Worthington trying to scrape around the barrel for more reasons to get rid of him (seeing as the others have failed).

Ofcourse every player wants to be in the first team picture but that is just unrealistic and they know that. Every professional player has to accept that they have to work hard to stand a chance of getting into any first team anywhere. In some cases they dont want to work as hard like Mullers and want to move onto somewhere a little more easy going.

i wouldnt like to see brennan leave. Okay he hasnt done much, but he hasnt had the chance. When hes played, hes played well, got the vital crosses in.

Overall; if he goes, he will be a great loss to the club