Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Vulnerable teams we can poach from

Is there any teams struggling to keep their players for money or relegation reasons we can exploit?

What would people think if we got Ched Evans back? It''s probably a bit of a ridiculous idea but we need a striker of that type and he''ll be out soon whether you think he''s innocent or not.

Since his return from injury Callum Wilson has been a bit hit and miss.

Cyrus Christie is available at Coventry. Watched him for a number of years. Excellent right back and has a few goals in him

Ross McCormack has scored 28 goals in the championship this season for Leeds, could we nick another one off them ? Surely not.

Most of the other top strikers are at teams with parachute payments, but those strikers at with teams without parachutes are Lewis Grabban at Bournemouth, Chris O Grady, with 15 at relegated Barnsley, and, ahem, Chris Martin at Derby County.

People forget who rubbish the Championship is.  Chris Martin is doing well there!Wolf and co, if kept, will be more than enough for goals with the time and space they will get.It''s keeping hold of some of the assets to give them the ball, Howson, Redmond, Snodgrass, Fer, that is is challenge.

I agree. I want us to keep the vast majority of our team, but there''s no doubt it needs tweaking, particularly in scoring goals. We need a plan B so teams don''t work us out easily.

This is why for me a big strong striker (basically a direct Holt replacement) is the most important signing. Dare I say it, but if Heskey was available, i''d be up for that, or Ameobi. I think we have the players to get goals we just haven''t been able to make the ball stick up there.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I agree. I want us to keep the vast majority of our team, but there''s no doubt it needs tweaking, particularly in scoring goals. We need a plan B so teams don''t work us out easily.

This is why for me a big strong striker (basically a direct Holt replacement) is the most important signing. Dare I say it, but if Heskey was available, i''d be up for that, or Ameobi. I think we have the players to get goals we just haven''t been able to make the ball stick up there.
[/quote]
If you want a big, physically dominating striker upfront, why not sign Matt Smith from Leeds? 6 ft 6 in, physically imposing and not a bad goal scoring record (12 goals in 39 apps, or 1 every 3.25 games and 19 of those appearances have been from the subs bench). He''s also (I think) in the last year of his contract. 

Promotion teams for me typically include a big strong aerial threat. I think back to the days of Jason Roberts, Clinton Morrison and more recently, Andy Carroll, Glenn Murray, Grant Holt and Ricky Lambert.

We need to relearn how to win ugly. Our strikers have been too lightweight and too much of a pushover and we''ve attracted far too much pressure on our defence as a result of this.

Indeed we do have Becchio who would be perfect so long as his minds still on it after Hughtons messing him around and further down, Loza and Morris could blossom in this role.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I agree. I want us to keep the vast majority of our team, but there''s no doubt it needs tweaking, particularly in scoring goals. We need a plan B so teams don''t work us out easily.

[/quote]
If you want a big, physically dominating striker upfront, why not sign Matt Smith from Leeds? 6 ft 6 in, physically imposing and not a bad goal scoring record (12 goals in 39 apps, or 1 every 3.25 games and 19 of those appearances have been from the subs bench). He''s also (I think) in the last year of his contract. 
[/quote]

I''ve heard the Leeds fans don''t particularly rate him, I hear a lot from them as I live up here. Not sure why they don''t, perhaps he misses too many sitters, but his record seems alright and he must contribute to McCormack getting his goal tally pretty well.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I agree. I want us to keep the vast majority of our team, but there''s no doubt it needs tweaking, particularly in scoring goals. We need a plan B so teams don''t work us out easily.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I''ve heard the Leeds fans don''t particularly rate him, I hear a lot from them as I live up here. Not sure why they don''t, perhaps he misses too many sitters, but his record seems alright and he must contribute to McCormack getting his goal tally pretty well.[/quote]
Well these are the same Leeds fans who claimed that Snodgrass and Howson would be complete failures in the Premier League when they''ve actually been amongst our better players. I tend not to take Leeds fans to seriously [;)]

In all fairness, they all rated Snodgrass and were gutted to lose him to us, thinking he could have done better. Howson was one that drew mixed opinion. A good mentality but not necessarily enough talent.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]In all fairness, they all rated Snodgrass and were gutted to lose him to us, thinking he could have done better. Howson was one that drew mixed opinion. A good mentality but not necessarily enough talent.[/quote]
Well, that''s just completely wrong. Howson has been one of our better players this season and was in the running for POtS until he got injured. He''d be one of the players I''d be desperate to hold on to if we get relegated. 

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]In all fairness, they all rated Snodgrass and were gutted to lose him to us, thinking he could have done better. Howson was one that drew mixed opinion. A good mentality but not necessarily enough talent.[/quote]
Well, that''s just completely wrong. Howson has been one of our better players this season and was in the running for POtS until he got injured. He''d be one of the players I''d be desperate to hold on to if we get relegated. 

I think we''ve all missed something here, if anyone would have Ched Evans back they are an absolute disgrace.

Agreed splutcho, I can only assume that Jimmy isn''t aware of the seriousness of Evans''s alleged crime.

That said, which players would you like to see us go for, if we''re in the championship next season ?

I''m honestly struggling to think on that count. I can''t quite place in my mind which sort of teams players will leave for us. Certainly we won''t be taking players (or managers from that matter) from direct rivals, so the Championship top ten(ish). I quite like the look of John Brayford, the Right Back on loan at Sheffield Utd, but then that''s assuming Cardiff have no use for him now.

As for strikers, I''m really not sure, don''t know if there''s any Premier League fringe players that might drop a level.

Sam Baldock from Bristol City? Top scorer in League 1, not a target man by any stretch of the imagination but a very hard working off the shoulder kind of striker.
Also noticed Dave Mooney has 19 league goals... [;)]

I''m well aware of Ched Evans'' crime. I won''t go further into the debate but all i''ll say is he maintains his innocence and I don''t think we''ve heard the last of it.

Lots of convicted rapists maintain they''re innocent. They just don''t have people believe them because they''re not footballers. Murderers too actually.

Ok lads, shall we just put Jeremy Kyle to one side for a bit and have a fun game of pretend football manager with prospective player buys ?

[quote user="splutcho"]Lots of convicted rapists maintain they''re innocent. They just don''t have people believe them because they''re not footballers. Murderers too actually.[/quote]

Do you not find it funny that even his ex girlfriend who he cheated on during the alleged incident is fighting his case?

I''d say the footballer arguement can work both ways. I suspect if he wasn''t a famous footballer, he wouldn''t have gone through all this in the first place.

Note that Robin Van Persie spent two weeks in prison and was very close to being convicted of the same thing. Either way, he will have rightfully or wrongfully served his time and if he was talented enough, anyone who believed in the law would accept him at our club.

No I don''t find it funny, I think she probably can''t accept that the man she loved was a rapist. Seems very strange that some people''s first reaction to rape is that the woman is lying. And anyone with any kind of morals would not cheer on and support a rapist.

However, Blah Blah Blah is right and this isn''t the time or place so let''s get the thread back on track, because Evans aside it is a good topic to discuss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27283811I can''t speak for his recent form, but i was always a massive fan of Chris Eagles. From what i remember of him he has the necessary attributes to inject some killer instinct into a team.Simply looking at his stats the season before this one (12 goals and 12 assists) give me hope there must still be something about him that could cause a lot of Championship defences a lot of problems were we to take him under our wing:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Eagles

Jordan Rhodes from Blackburn would be a good buy. He did well at Huddersfield a couple of years ago and had a very good season with Blackburn this year.

He''s not that fast but is a great target man and would work well with RvW and Redmond in my opinion.