Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

Your view on David McNally

I''m intrigued as to what fans feel towards David McNally now. My view is that he will leave in the summer. It''s tempting now to think McNally got lucky with Paul Lambert then continued to ride on the wave of his achievements up until his departure to Villa. However, I don''t see it that way. Not completely anyway.

My view on McNally now is that it would be very difficult to trust his judgement anymore. Ok, nobody''s perfect, but he made such a glaring error with Chris Hughton that you worry that he will be as blind in similar situations in the future. What I find most worrying is that he was quite blind and arrogant in terms of his attitude towards our, as it was then, possible relegation. As we now know, it''s almost certain relegation. He didn''t see the warning signs last season when most smart fans did see those signs. We saw them all too clearly.

I wasn''t fooled by our 11th place finish last season, neither were many Norwich fans. ''You finish where you deserve to finish'', McNally (and some fans) constantly told us. Well yes, that''s true. Even more so this season. The fact is that last season we were still two games away from relegation, but DM chose to ignore this, instead buying into an 11th place finish which was as false as any position in any league has ever been. The warning signs were there at so many stages this season and McNally did nothing. Absolutely nothing.

My view is that we can no longer trust this man to run our football club, and for that reason, he needs to leave this summer. I think he will too. Almost inevitable.

Saved the club from financial ruin, we should build him a statue

Privileged to have him as our CEO and we would be mad to get rid of him.

To go back to what? Someone like Doncaster? No thanks. I hope he stays and works to get us back up. He has done far more right than wrong in his time here but I guess memories are short.

I''ll take McNally over the brain dead suggestions of alleged "smart fans" like the OP

McNally will ensure our long term growth as a football team and should not be forced out by, frankly, a bunch of buck-toothed yokels that have watched too much match of the day.

Buh wrote the following post at 06/05/2014 4:10 PM:

I''ll take McNally over the brain dead suggestions of alleged "smart fans" like the OP

McNally will ensure our long term growth as a football team and should not be forced out by, frankly, a bunch of buck-toothed yokels that have watched too much match of the day.

Couldn''t agree more. The last thing we need now is boardroom upheaval as well as a managers position to sort and the inevitable players that will come and go.

At the risk of being accused of making a sweeping statement, and not being able to back it up, having had a meet with DM in early February, I don''t believe he will walk away - he is far to big a man for that, more like he will hold his hands up, make his apologies and excuses, and look to taking us back to the Premiership first time should disaster befall us on Wednesday evening.

Yes he can be arrogant, he can be hard, and yet emotional, but he is not a quitter.

And, biggest of all, he loves this club, it''s people, and Norwich.

But I do not think Adams will be his man.

He has done well for NCFC and NCFC has done well for him. He must surely be up there amongst the most highly paid CEOs in the business.

He seems somewhat confrontational and that might eventually lead to his downfall. As Dearest Delia''s teeth he serves a purpose though.

[quote user="Buh"]Saved the club from financial ruin, we should build him a statue

Privileged to have him as our CEO and we would be mad to get rid of him.[/quote]

^^^Exactly this.Some people have some VERY short memories.

He''s been a good chief executive, by and large. Whilst he''s not the almost mythic figure some make out on here he''s done a good job for NCFC and has yet to make any major mistakes that would merit his dismissal, in fact it''s far more likely he leaves to join another team.

A pretty cynical outlook by the op.   Why do people have to always think the worst of people?   McNally - who yes, is CEO - but not a god - has been in charge of a difficult time regarding the manager.  Sticking by someone CAN work.  It nearly did.  We were only a post or a bar away from goals and points in several matches.  We all know the problems and our lack of goals, but surely to goodness we can stop trying to devalue someone for sticking it out and not giving in to pressure from so called "knowledgeable" fans.   I know little about football and admit it - but those fans that profess to know more than others are on the whole loud mouthed dummies.   No one knows what it is like to run a football club unless you have done it.

I have sympathy for McNally - and I of course have sympathy with fellow fans - none of us wanted a bad season - but be careful before you start shouting too loudly about McNally.....the man who is responsible for getting us Lambert and two promotions plus three seasons in the top flight....if he went - who would you replace him with?    A change of manager is one thing - changing the hierachy of the club could have far wider implications. Be careful what you wish for.

How do we know that McNally didn''t want to sack Hughton long before it happened? He may be the CEO but on matters as important as sacking a manager I would have thought that it would require majority vote at the very least. Maybe there were other board members that voted to keep him on and his comments to the media were to put pressure on them.

[quote user="JF"]How do we know that McNally didn''t want to sack Hughton long before it happened? He may be the CEO but on matters as important as sacking a manager I would have thought that it would require majority vote at the very least. Maybe there were other board members that voted to keep him on and his comments to the media were to put pressure on them.[/quote]

Yes. Its the fly on the wall syndrome.  If only we knew........  

We can only guess.  My guess would be that McNally has huge sway over whatever decisions are taken, but ultimately, if enough board members  did wield what power they have to out vote him, then his position would pretty soon become untenable and he would leave.  The fact that he is still here would suggest he is the main man on football matters.  If any of the others try to get in his way, I suggest it would be they that are ousted rather than him leaving.

[quote user="JF"]How do we know that McNally didn''t want to sack Hughton long before it happened? He may be the CEO but on matters as important as sacking a manager I would have thought that it would require majority vote at the very least. Maybe there were other board members that voted to keep him on and his comments to the media were to put pressure on them.[/quote]

Because he told me, categorically, that this wasn''t the case.

You can always assume he is a liar of course.

Or that he is professional and wouldn''t discuss such matters with a fan.

[quote user="JF"]Or that he is professional and wouldn''t discuss such matters with a fan.[/quote]

That would make me the liar.

Ok then....

That''s not what I meant. If you ask people like this a question you very rarely get an honest reply. You get a politicians reply. It''s the same as if a player were being linked with a move away, if asked he would say I''m very happy here and not going anywhere, when the deal has probably been done.

Overall I would say he''s done an excellent job for us. But you know what they say, a club is only ever one managerial appointment away from disaster, and Chris Hughton was our disaster. The next appointment is critical for McNally.

I can''t be bothered to write the same reply again and again to idiots suggesting McNally has done something so bad that he must leave.

So I''ll put it simply:

2 promotions + 3 seasons of premiership football, versus 1 relegation = he and the whole board deserve our respect, trust and patience.

We will not act like spoilt children with a one-season memory.

David McNally has faith in his decisions, even if that meant he held on to Hughton to long. He''s made the club much more business like as apposed to how it was before where it felt like it was bumbling along towards disaster. He''s played a huge part in clearing the debt, he hired Lambert. Most importantly he has been able to close transfer deals something Doncaster never could do. If he gets the right man in to manage us next season, whoever it is, the club will have a brilliant chance of success as i always feel confident he''ll be able to get the managers targets.

We would be stupid to get rid, but i guess some fans want their blood regardless of whether it''s of long term benefit to our club or not.

[quote user="MancCanary"]I can''t be bothered to write the same reply again and again to idiots suggesting McNally has done something so bad that he must leave.

So I''ll put it simply:

2 promotions + 3 seasons of premiership football, versus 1 relegation = he and the whole board deserve our respect, trust and patience.

We will not act like spoilt children with a one-season memory.[/quote][Y]

My opinion on McNally is that he had done an excellent job for our club in previous years as others have pointed out. Nevertheless, if you are in such a senior position in any company and oversee what will be (if we get relegated) a huge drop in revenue, then you have to seriously question the decision-making - he has to take his share of the responsibility. You can make one good decision after another but if you drop one major bo*lock that can undo all the good work. Not sure where the truth lies but if it was him dithering over Hughton then that to my mind is poor judgement. Hughton should have been dismissed much earlier to give us a chance. My preference would be for McNally to stay. Hopefully he will learn from mistakes made. I would like to think he can make the right appointment and get us back into the PL if we drop down as expected. I would trust him to get things right but he can''t afford another major mistake. Just my opinion.

There''s some cracking stuff on this thread. We''ve got Yellownets trying to tell us that It''s more true that club''s finish where they deserve to finish this season than last. But JF trumps that by deciding that good honest people lie if what they say doesn''t fit in with what he wants to believe happened.

If we are relegated it will be because we are one of the three worst sides in the league. Changing the manager sooner could have got us more points but could just as likely got us less points. The board obviously believed our best chance was keeping Hughton. It might well be that Hughton was getting the best out of the players at his disposal. Nothing that''s happened since suggests he wasn''t. The board acted after WBA where they believed a gamble was worth taking. There''s been no evidence that Hughton lost the players. If anything there''s been a split since he has been gone. Even Wes was happy to play for Hoots and it seems his gripe was directed elsewhere.

A few months ago I started a thread saying "it will be Delia next" this was scoffed at when I posted but it will come to pass. Because of some people''s thirst to play the blame game and find a scapegoat. The way I see it we''ve ended up with a bad mix of players. The fault for that lies at many doors including Hughton and McNally. Adams or the next manager must decide which of those players compliment eachother and bring in others who will also fit. Let''s hope they get it right.

I think its f****** pathetic that people have to use events of more than 3 years ago to justify McFlurry staying as CEO.

He was responsible for recruiting Hughton, failed to act soon enough when it became clear that Hughton was not up to job, and sanctioned the signing of second rate dross like Hopeless and Van Wank Wank.

I think the damage he has allowed to be inflicted upon the club in the last 2 years is far greater than anything he achieved previously.

If Hughton deserved to lose his job so does McNumpty.

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I think its f****** pathetic that people have to use events of more than 3 years ago to justify McFlurry staying as CEO.

He was responsible for recruiting Hughton, failed to act soon enough when it became clear that Hughton was not up to job, and sanctioned the signing of second rate dross like Hopeless and Van Wank Wank.

I think the damage he has allowed to be inflicted upon the club in the last 2 years is far greater than anything he achieved previously.

If Hughton deserved to lose his job so does McNumpty.[/quote]Would that be the same Chris Hughton that took us to our highest ever Premiership finish?

There you go again NN putting words in people''s posts. All I said was you very rarely get an honest answer from a question that you shouldn''t be discussing. More often than not you get a diplomatic answer because it''s the easy way out of a tricky position. This will be my only reply to you because quite frankly discussing anything with you is pointless.