Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

For the first time in 5 years

Our squad will be decimated by vultures. It''s been nice feeling confident whilst in a transfer window, knowing no star player will be leaving, or any deal would be for the best interest of Norwich.

Now we face a summer of uncertainty and very little hope. We need to get a new manger in fast who can sit the players down and see who''s prepared to stay here.

Personally I have no confidence the players want to stay here. It''s not an harmonious club anymore.

Name me 5 star players form this season.

The only players we will lose that are worth anything will be Ruddy and Snodgrass.

Bassong will go but he has been shite, someone might make a bid for Howson but he will stay, Fer will go but again he has been very poor, Elamder will go back to Turkey.

I can''t see anyone else leaving they are all on contracts we are debt free so if we want to keep them then we will.

Celtic might bid for Hooper but unless we get our money back we should keep him as he will score a hat full in the championship. Barnet could bid for RVW but I think he will stay.

No need to worry about losing anyone there are only about 5-6 people that have had a half decent season, Ruddy, Martin, Ollson, Snoddy, Johnson and Howson, the rest need to look at themselves.

yeah but Bassong will be a beast in the championship, Hooper will get us 20-25 goals. That was part of the problem this season, we had too many good championship players, why get rid of them when you know their likely to get us promoted again?

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 08/05/2014 8:07 AM:

yeah but Bassong will be a beast in the championship, Hooper will get us 20-25 goals.

Bassong will not be a beast anywhere until he is able to stay focused for the whole game.

[quote user="Paul"]Name me 5 star players form this season.

The only players we will lose that are worth anything will be Ruddy and Snodgrass.

Bassong will go but he has been shite, someone might make a bid for Howson but he will stay, Fer will go but again he has been very poor, Elamder will go back to Turkey.

I can''t see anyone else leaving they are all on contracts we are debt free so if we want to keep them then we will.

Celtic might bid for Hooper but unless we get our money back we should keep him as he will score a hat full in the championship. Barnet could bid for RVW but I think he will stay.

No need to worry about losing anyone there are only about 5-6 people that have had a half decent season, Ruddy, Martin, Ollson, Snoddy, Johnson and Howson, the rest need to look at themselves.[/quote]

Anyway the point is for the first time in 5 years it feels out of our control. Not looking forward to seeing insulting bids from clubs like Hull, Burnley and West Ham.

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 08/05/2014 8:14 AM:

throwing in the white towel already Jenkins?

In which respect?

This is why it is important that a quick managerial decision needs to be made to plan for the season ahead. Mackay rebuilt Cardiff in a season and got them promoted. Even if we lose a third of our first team squad we will still have a very good championship platform plus some additions eg Troy Deeny an obvious candidate for me.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]IMO,

Sellable assets, likely to get big interest;

Ruddy

Bassong (from abroad)

Olsson

Redmond

Pilkington

Snodgrass

Howson

Tettey

Hoolahan

Hooper

RVW ( abroad )

Becchio

Fer

All could realistically be leaving. And what will that leave us, Bradley Johnson?![/quote]of those, I would not call Ruddy, Redmond, Snodgrass, Tettey, Hooper, Howson, Fer sell-able assets. contrary, They are players we need to keep at all costs.but those who I realistically expect to stay? Redmond, Tettey, Howson, Hooper. I can''t see anyone coming in for Hooper except for maybe QPR (if they go up) and Celtic. and with Celtic, I expect Mcnally not to sell unless we get close to our cost back, as he is a stubborn man. Redmond, despite being young, clearly has a good head on his shoulders. Unless by some miracle Hughton gets another prem gig, or a team with a very realistic chance of promotion, his best place is here where he will play week in week out in the championship. Tettey seems a very emotionally charged player, and I can''t see him leaving for anyone but the team he supports (Manu, btw.) or somehow a team in europe (unlikely). I''m only concerned with Howson if Leeds come in for him, otherwise I think he was very underrated by other premier league teams, thankfully.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Our squad will be decimated by vultures. It''s been nice feeling confident whilst in a transfer window, knowing no star player will be leaving, or any deal would be for the best interest of Norwich.

Now we face a summer of uncertainty and very little hope. We need to get a new manger in fast who can sit the players down and see who''s prepared to stay here.

Personally I have no confidence the players want to stay here. It''s not an harmonious club anymore.[/quote]Of course it''s not harmonious - you''ve just got relegated.The problem NCFC and many current Prem clubs have is modern day players are mercenaries. You''ve got the odd player who appears committed to the cause like Russell Martin, but then there''s guys like Hooper (who only arrived to get in the shop window for England''s World Cup squad), Snodgrass (touting himself to Celtic before you were even relegated), RVW (disrespects coaching staff after substitution in your crunch match with Fulham) and I''m sure there''s more.The Premier League poisons clubs within the lower reaches of the table. It forces managers to purchase overseas prima donnas in the faint hope you''ll be able to compete with the elite and those prima donnas only see these clubs as a stepping stone to greater things. They have no affinity or attachment to the club or the local communities.You look at the likes of West Ham, Newcastle, Villa... these supporters hated this season just as much as you did because we all know these clubs have reached their glass ceiling. Just because the Geordies get 50,000+ through the turnstiles the fans expect them to be challenging for Europe. If they ain''t got the dolla, it ain''t happenin''.It''s a sad state of affairs, and that''s coming from an Ipswich fan!

Quite right Yorkshire.

The players we want are the ones who have been stand out performers or at least done well in the Championshiop.

The four Leeds guys for starters, particularly Becchio, who from memory had scored over 20 goals in half a season before he joined us.

Both the Bennett boys, Hooper, Foxy, Martin these type of characters who know how the win there. And of course Josh Murphy and others from the youth set if they work hard and continue their development over the summer.

What I don''t want to see next season is a team that is unable to play away from home,

It''s all about character, leadership and motivation next season, that''s the hard thing to find.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Our squad will be decimated by vultures. [/quote]And how many of our team would have walked into another PL team on a regular basis this season?Two, maybe 3 at most but certainly no more.Most of our players have demonstrated week in, week out that they''re not PL standard so I can''t see the squad "being decimated by vultures" unless those vultures are Championship or League 1 clubs.

but there are definitely young players who would catch the eye of many premier league/foreign clubs through glimpses of potential when are team were playing in sync (on those rare occasions) specifically, Ruddy, Howson, Snodgrass, Redmond, and Fer. and perhaps tettey to one of the new three in the prem. the new managers job will be to do the best he can to keep them all. however, I only see us potentially keeping Howson and Redmond.

[quote user="Paul"]Name me 5 star players form this season. The only players we will lose that are worth anything will be Ruddy and Snodgrass. Bassong will go but he has been shite, someone might make a bid for Howson but he will stay, Fer will go but again he has been very poor, Elamder will go back to Turkey. I can''t see anyone else leaving they are all on contracts we are debt free so if we want to keep them then we will. Celtic might bid for Hooper but unless we get our money back we should keep him as he will score a hat full in the championship. Barnet could bid for RVW but I think he will stay. No need to worry about losing anyone there are only about 5-6 people that have had a half decent season, Ruddy, Martin, Ollson, Snoddy, Johnson and Howson, the rest need to look at themselves.[/quote]

Olsson has been outstanding this season, dont know why you''re having a go at him

[quote user="Paul"]Name me 5 star players form this season.

No need to worry about losing anyone there are only about 5-6 people that have had a half decent season, Ruddy, Martin, Ollson, Snoddy, Johnson and Howson, the rest need to look at themselves.[/quote] Johnson & Martin should not be anywhere near a premiership football club. The other 4 I agree with and I think tettey did little wrong though our silly new manager thinks different.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Our squad will be decimated by vultures. It''s been nice feeling confident whilst in a transfer window, knowing no star player will be leaving, or any deal would be for the best interest of Norwich.

Personally I have no confidence the players want to stay here. It''s not an harmonious club anymore.[/quote]

I think there may not be as many departures as you might expect. With only a year to go on his contract, I think Robert Snodgrass will be off to pastures new, which personally I''m very sorry about. John Ruddy has always been very emphatic about how he wishes to remain at Norwich as long as the club wants him and I believe him on that as he has always struck me as a very sincere character. Olsson is only a year into his contract, but has been far and away our best player and I can''t believe his luck at being relegated again. RvW has a point to prove. I don''t think a player with his ambition can afford to walk away from the Premier League as a failure so his best chance is to help get us promoted. Hooper, only a year into contract, and the World Cup ship has sailed. He''s got plenty of time so don''t see why he''d be in a rush. Wouldn''t be surprised if he stayed. Key difference this time is we''re solvent and don''t have to sell if we don''t want to unless the contract expiry is imminent.

From those 3 clubs, realistically we should only worry about West Ham, they have the pedigree and the money. Remember the medias love in with second-season syndrome and us last season? Hull and Palace will both experience that this season. albeit Hull to a lesser extent. they will still receive more concern over relegation than QPR or Swansea did.

Not saying he will stay but I don''t think Ruddys in a rush to go anywhere. Has made it clear how much he loves the area, like many players before him, and has just moved his son into a private school. Would be a big disruption to his family to move and I don''t think he''s someone chasing lots of money.

That being said I''m sure he is ambitious and would leave if the move was right. Certainly one of the few that deserves a move (and a place in the World Cup squad) but would love to see him stay.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Our squad will be decimated by vultures. It''s been nice feeling confident whilst in a transfer window, knowing no star player will be leaving, or any deal would be for the best interest of Norwich.

Personally I have no confidence the players want to stay here. It''s not an harmonious club anymore.[/quote]

I think there may not be as many departures as you might expect. With only a year to go on his contract, I think Robert Snodgrass will be off to pastures new, which personally I''m very sorry about. John Ruddy has always been very emphatic about how he wishes to remain at Norwich as long as the club wants him and I believe him on that as he has always struck me as a very sincere character. Olsson is only a year into his contract, but has been far and away our best player and I can''t believe his luck at being relegated again. RvW has a point to prove. I don''t think a player with his ambition can afford to walk away from the Premier League as a failure so his best chance is to help get us promoted. Hooper, only a year into contract, and the World Cup ship has sailed. He''s got plenty of time so don''t see why he''d be in a rush. Wouldn''t be surprised if he stayed. Key difference this time is we''re solvent and don''t have to sell if we don''t want to unless the contract expiry is imminent.[/quote]I know he''s on a 3 year contract, but do we not have an extra year option on Snoddy? not that I remember seeing/hearing that, but it''s odd for us to sign a player that was his age with his potential purely on a 3 year contract with no further option.

[quote user="nulli secundus"]"Not looking forward to seeing insulting bids from clubs like Hull, Burnley and West Ham".

Now we know how Leeds felt :-)[/quote]

Yes, what comes around goes around, I guess.

Despite some poor performances this season, there is still plenty of premiership standard players in our squad. I don''t buy into the fact that only ruddy and snodgrass are.

Integrated into other sides, a lot if our players would shine. Jonny Howson being the prime example. A confidence player, who Hughton couldn''t get the best from. Again Pilkington, definitely good enough for the prem, but stifled under Hughton.

Portman king was right in his post- the dynamics in the Prem are entirely different from those in the Champ. Lambert built NCFC''s recent success before the Hughton regime on young and hungry players- and he didn''t change it that much when we got back to the Prem. CH virtually discarded that policy and also the dynamics of the team, there was no real "heart".

For teams like us, and those of our peers in the Champs, it is usually that heart which makes the difference. The top half of the Champs is stuffed full of teams with nice stadia, good managers, decent squads often with some loaned top level prem talent, good crowds and supporting infrastructure and training facilities. It is very hard to stand out and that is why the Champs is like a black hole, a collection of similar profiled clubs all seeking the same thing in the same way.

I think we need a focus on the rising youth stars, those who are hungry for success for NCFC not because they crave the celebrity Premier league lifestyle and media exposure. I''d be very happy to lose most of Hughton''s recent signings bar Redmond and Hooper (yes, that includes Snodgrass who I think has been a major part of the problem affecting the balance of the side) for a blend of youth and some bought in experience.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Portman king was right in his post- the dynamics in the Prem are entirely different from those in the Champ. Lambert built NCFC''s recent success before the Hughton regime on young and hungry players- and he didn''t change it that much when we got back to the Prem. CH virtually discarded that policy and also the dynamics of the team, there was no real "heart".

For teams like us, and those of our peers in the Champs, it is usually that heart which makes the difference. The top half of the Champs is stuffed full of teams with nice stadia, good managers, decent squads often with some loaned top level prem talent, good crowds and supporting infrastructure and training facilities. It is very hard to stand out and that is why the Champs is like a black hole, a collection of similar profiled clubs all seeking the same thing in the same way.

I think we need a focus on the rising youth stars, those who are hungry for success for NCFC not because they crave the celebrity Premier league lifestyle and media exposure. I''d be very happy to lose most of Hughton''s recent signings bar Redmond and Hooper (yes, that includes Snodgrass who I think has been a major part of the problem affecting the balance of the side) for a blend of youth and some bought in experience.[/quote]Absolutely. Everyone in the top half of the Championship believes they have a divine right to be in the Premier League. They''ve all had their moments in the sun - just like you''ve had lately - and it can be difficult to mount a revival with the players who miss the celebrity top flight lifestyle and the exposure that comes with it. If I was a Norwich fan I''d actually WANT to be rid of the likes of Fer, RVW, Bassong, because I certainly wouldn''t want to hang my hat on them when the chips are down in the second tier. The two sides that have bucked the trend in the top flight (Saints and Swansea) both have an identity and an ethos - which most Champ clubs need to aspire to if they are to genuinely become a sustainable Premier League outfit. Norwich need to give some of their youth a chance for a change. You won the FA Youth Cup, see what they''re made of.

Oh for goodness sake Lincoln! We could lose 75% of the players that lost at man utd the other week and we''d still have a team good enough to finish top six next season. Look, we''ve still got hoolahan, surman and fox, three quarters of the midfield that got us promoted last time, and Elliot Bennett is every bit as good as crofts was. Our defence still has Martin, turner and Ryan Bennett are solid cloggers at centre back and every bit good enough at champ level. The only area we''re lacking is up front.

We could sell the all the ex Leeds players, the wolf, hooper, tettey, fer, pilkington, and still be good enoughj to get promoted, subject to getting 2 or 3 strikers with pace.

I don''t think there is much to worry about Lincoln.

The big worry is that we won''t be able to move enough players on in order to rebuild. And rebuild is exactly what we need - one significant factor in our relegation was that the players weren''t good enough. Another was that the squad was too thin to cope with the injuries we had.

As for the last 5 years being worry free, why do you think that is? Couldn''t be that in all that time we haven''t had a top class Prem player?

[quote user="portman_king"][The Premier League poisons clubs within the lower reaches of the table. It forces managers to purchase overseas prima donnas in the faint hope you''ll be able to compete with the elite and those prima donnas only see these clubs as a stepping stone to greater things. They have no affinity or attachment to the club or the local communities.You look at the likes of West Ham, Newcastle, Villa... these supporters hated this season just as much as you did because we all know these clubs have reached their glass ceiling. Just because the Geordies get 50,000+ through the turnstiles the fans expect them to be challenging for Europe. If they ain''t got the dolla, it ain''t happenin''.It''s a sad state of affairs, and that''s coming from an Ipswich fan![/quote]You are right up to a point PK. But is there not a similar divide in the Championship ?Are you saying that this season, Leicester, QPR, Derby, Forest etc have been playing on a level field with Yeovil, Barnsley and Doncaster etc ? Next season  it''s up to those larger teams, plus of course, us, Wolves, Fulham, and yes I''ll say it, your lot, to impose their relative financial muscle  on Millwall, Brentford and whoever comes up out of Preston, Orient, Rotherham and Peterboro etc. Of course you do get occasionally someone who is the surprise package (Burnley this season), but speaking on our plight, we are where we are because we took so few points from the weaker Prem teams. Not because we got stuffed by Man Citeh, Liverpool, MoanUre, Arsenal etc.