Sign in to follow this  
Dibs

Please say no if asked, Adams

If you get offered the job, don''t take it, not yet. Thanks for trying to help City out, now walk away for the time being and get some more experience. I don''t want Adams becoming another Gunn.I would accept Malky as next manager although he would be the bare minimum with managerial experience, would prefer him over Sherwood for example.We need to get promoted and not with someone leaning their trade.

[quote user="Dibs"]If you get offered the job, don''t take it, not yet. Thanks for trying to help City out, now walk away for the time being and get some more experience. I don''t want Adams becoming another Gunn.I would accept Malky as next manager although he would be the bare minimum with managerial experience, would prefer him over Sherwood for example.We need to get promoted and not with someone leaning their trade.[/quote]
Agreed[Y]

Adams wont get us up... and even the most blinkered of fans must see that.

I have no doubt he make a good manager, but we need to go up first time of asking.

We failed to do this in 1995 and 2006 and look what happened?

its first time and first time only.

[quote user="Dibs"]

We need to get promoted and not with someone leaning their trade.

[/quote]

Sounds like we need mick mccarthy or neil warnock - both very successful at promotions to the prem...

Of all the people associated with or employed by the club, I wonder who has the best knowledge and/or insight into which manager is most likely to get the most from our players.

I would guess it would be the players, not all of them, some are far too young in age and mind to be able to provide a balanced view, however I do believe there are one or two who could contribute massively and of course they may well do for all we know.

We will probably never find out but I for one would be very interested in the views of players such as; Russ Martin, John Ruddy and to represent the younger voice, Elliott Bennett.

That''s not to say we should appoint their preference but these guys have played under various managers and will probably know far more than most, if not all, what works and what doesn''t, appreciating all players are of course individuals with individual needs.

If the aforementioned made thier feelings known, would we as fans accept that and happily move on from there, whoever their choice is?

I for one would.

[quote user="Dibs"]If you get offered the job, don''t take it, not yet. Thanks for trying to help City out, now walk away for the time being and get some more experience. I don''t want Adams becoming another Gunn.I would accept Malky as next manager although he would be the bare minimum with managerial experience, would prefer him over Sherwood for example.We need to get promoted and not with someone leaning their trade.[/quote]

I would not welcome Malky as manager because I have the feeling he would be another yes man for the board. I would like Sherwood because he gives Youth a chance and will have good player contacts, negative would be ex player.

What you mean, is "Neil, you''re not up to it." To add "not now" effectively means "Go away and manage a second division club, and if the position becomes vacant, apply then."

If he lacks the gifts, which I don''t think is the case as he is a very good judge of football, why reject him? Is it because he has no experience, whatever that means? We are now talking about the Championship, which will not interest many, unless they see us as a job until something better comes along or use us as a stepping stone to the top division. The only offers we are likely to get will be from even younger managers from lower divisions or from managers out of work (having failed?) Adams is likely to be much more committed to the club than any of the others who may apply.

I don''t buy the lack of experience argument, partly because he has some experience, guiding the U18s to triumph last year and observing a succession of managers at CR over several years, and partly because he can appoint assistants who are more experienced.If, and I have seen it frequently, he is said to be like Gunn when he began, I don''t buy this. Gunn lacked the years of coaching that Adams has done, at all ages, and had no footballing successes to his credit after retirement.

The Board will presumably sift through all applications and form a short list, with guidance from respected experts. I think it would be a pity if Adams did not get to that stage, having done little wrong, except to be let down by the team unaccountably once and by strikers frequently in a very difficult run-in. Above all, he knows the strengths and weaknesses of all the players, including juniors, He could get on immediately in assembling a team, in a way that Hughton could not on his arrival, and so was late in some signings.

In the end, we have to respect the Board''s decision, whatever our personal preferences, and rally round and support the club we love. However disappointed we may be, let us resolve not to belly-ache.

It''s a balance; Neil Adams has many fine attributes - although they will be outweighed by our over-riding need to return to the Premiership at the first attempt.

That means being led by a well-respected proven manager capable of attracting top Championship standard players seeking a clear route to playing in the top division. Unfortunately Neil Adams falls short in that respect.

Had we retained our Prem status like Swansea we could have had a Gary Monk type appointment – but we are where we are and need a figurehead around the place. Given his success taking Cardiff up, I guess Malky McKay seems to have the credentials…

Without belittling the FA Youth Cup, I think it should be kept in perspective. If my memory is correct we beat QPR, Birmingham, Milwall, Forest, Everton and Chelsea. Hardly a regular winning streak for a 46 game season.

I have come round to thinking Malky or Adams, but I expect it will take more than a season for them to settle and build a team.

[quote user="Ray"]Of all the people associated with or employed by the club, I wonder who has the best knowledge and/or insight into which manager is most likely to get the most from our players.

I would guess it would be the players, not all of them, some are far too young in age and mind to be able to provide a balanced view, however I do believe there are one or two who could contribute massively and of course they may well do for all we know.

We will probably never find out but I for one would be very interested in the views of players such as; Russ Martin, John Ruddy and to represent the younger voice, Elliott Bennett.

That''s not to say we should appoint their preference but these guys have played under various managers and will probably know far more than most, if not all, what works and what doesn''t, appreciating all players are of course individuals with individual needs.

If the aforementioned made thier feelings known, would we as fans accept that and happily move on from there, whoever their choice is?

I for one would.[/quote]I don''t know how much bearing this should have on our next appointment. I have a vivid memory of an EDP article after our home win against Barnsely in our relegation season where Darel Russell made a public appeal for us to appoint Gunn as the permanent manager of the club.

Correct John, although the article I remember from that time was one from the BBC website and it was Jamie Cureton going on about how Chairman Munby went into the changing room after the game and all the players were saying "give Gunny the job" - on the back of one win against a dreadful side.

I remember thinking at the time, of course you''re going to say that Cureton, he''s an old team mate of yours and has just bought you back from your loan at Barnsley.

I would say Gunny was probably a soft touch and didn''t have a clue about man management, so if the players thought they could get away with under-performing, then of course they''d want him in the job. On this basis, whilst I''d say players opinions are probably important, they shouldn''t make the decision (but as we all know it was the Facebook campaign too, haha cringe)

[quote user="Salopian"]What you mean, is "Neil, you''re not up to it." To add "not now" effectively means "Go away and manage a second division club, and if the position becomes vacant, apply then." If he lacks the gifts, which I don''t think is the case as he is a very good judge of football, why reject him? Is it because he has no experience, whatever that means? We are now talking about the Championship, which will not interest many, unless they see us as a job until something better comes along or use us as a stepping stone to the top division. The only offers we are likely to get will be from even younger managers from lower divisions or from managers out of work (having failed?) Adams is likely to be much more committed to the club than any of the others who may apply. I don''t buy the lack of experience argument, partly because he has some experience, guiding the U18s to triumph last year and observing a succession of managers at CR over several years, and partly because he can appoint assistants who are more experienced.If, and I have seen it frequently, he is said to be like Gunn when he began, I don''t buy this. Gunn lacked the years of coaching that Adams has done, at all ages, and had no footballing successes to his credit after retirement. The Board will presumably sift through all applications and form a short list, with guidance from respected experts. I think it would be a pity if Adams did not get to that stage, having done little wrong, except to be let down by the team unaccountably once and by strikers frequently in a very difficult run-in. Above all, he knows the strengths and weaknesses of all the players, including juniors, He could get on immediately in assembling a team, in a way that Hughton could not on his arrival, and so was late in some signings. In the end, we have to respect the Board''s decision, whatever our personal preferences, and rally round and support the club we love. However disappointed we may be, let us resolve not to belly-ache.[/quote]

Let us also not make resolutions we cannot possibly follow through on. [:D]

Personally speaking, I think Neil has a great tactical brain, is a coach who steers youth players towards the first team and is a brilliant motivator, however just at this particular moment in time - I think we need a manager to come into Colney with a fresh perspective, make some clever signings and weed some of the players who are not up for a slog at Championship level or who wish to leave.I would hope that a deal is in place, following CH''s dismissal, that Neil could/will revert back to where he is having success - ie in the youth setup and continue to gain experience with the goal of managing the first team in the future - just not yet.

I feel we ought to appoint a manager with proven Championship experience, but not one who will bring along his management buddies a la Hughton. Neil would benefit as being Assistant or First Team Coach and learn more from the experienced manager.

I wouldn''t have thought anyone learned much from Hughton and if anyone professed to such needs to be dismissed asap.

Uhh. I presume you''re all on another planet.

Presuming of course that Neil Adams does get offered the job - why on earth would he not take it?!

If he has anywhere near the right mentality for the job he will already believe he is capable as a manager of getting NCFC back into the top flight at the first time of asking. If he doesn''t have that mentality then he shouldn''t even be considered in the first place.

Probably one of the more pointless threads i''ve seen today - and that''s certainly saying something.

''''Really it''s over to Neil now, it''s over to Neil to make certain he''s the manager for the long term. And we know don''t we that results will dictate whether that happens or not. So lets get through till the end of the season and take things from there''''I took that as he''ll be kept on if he keeps us up. Although if he were to take 4 points then I think he''ll have a pretty strong case even dropping to the Championship. Personally I don''t think he''ll be here next season.

Me I would like to see Neil starting as first team coach , has the tactical brain , and a great backup for the new manager ,unlike the last lot of dummy''s , if he is made manager. I would give him a chance , he knows the club , knows the players isn''t afraid to drop players who are not doing it .Till then we wait with baited breath the Gunners could be a watershed for Neil