Sign in to follow this  
carrow77

Financial status must help us

Maybe I''m taking a simplistic view on things but our debt free status combined with 3 seasons in the PL (with modest spending) and parachute payments must make us the envy of any Championshite clubs & give us a serious advantage in this league.

I know the challenge will be to attract quality players at the right price being mindful of wage bill etc but I would have thought we would be an attractive proposition for many players wanting a progressive club lookin to get back to the PL etc. I hope we can get a group of quality players that gel together whilst keeping some existing talent (Redmond,e.bennett, howson etc) to be a force in this league

Agreed, we certainly seem to be in a better position than we were last time we were relegated from the Premiership.

That said, being debt-free is not the same as having money to spend on signing players. Depending on how much of the wage bill is covered by parachute payments, and how many players we lose, it may well be that we don''t have to money to spend on signing players.

As you say, keeping the young and hungry players here (Olsson, Redmond, Howson, both Bennetts) and supplementing that with quality, experienced players at Championship level would be the ideal goal, but I''m not sure it''s going to be that straightforward...