Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

If we'd beaten Chelsea

We''d be able to still catch WBA and Hull (who play Everton) with a win. Starting to become apparent we should have gambled more for all three points. Story of our season!

If Bradley hadn''t hit the post, if RvW''s header went in… There''s so many fine lines that we''ve been the wrong side of.

Not aggressively going at chelsea certainly wasn''t one, that was a success getting a draw away, we would''ve been butchered if we pushed against them.

A draw could''ve been enough, as it stands Sunderland simply played a blinder which we could never compete with in this kind of final run-in.

We just don''t get the luck either, Sunderland got that very dodgy penalty at Chelsea in the last 10, but we can''t one even if the player is fouled twice in the same second. Add the stonewall penalty and clear goal not given at Man Utd and the dodgy pen given against us, you can''t help but think we have had a bit of bad luck season at times.
Can anyone really think of match where we got the result we didn''t deserve, where we were truly lucky to win?

[quote user="Ginja"]We just don''t get the luck either, Sunderland got that very dodgy penalty at Chelsea in the last 10, but we can''t one even if the player is fouled twice in the same second. Add the stonewall penalty and clear goal not given at Man Utd and the dodgy pen given against us, you can''t help but think we have had a bit of bad luck season at times.

Can anyone really think of match where we got the result we didn''t deserve, where we were truly lucky to win?

[/quote]

West Ham at home, they battered Norwich for 45 mins but only scored once. Norwich got a fairly lucky pen in the 2nd half to swing the game around.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]We''d be able to still catch WBA and Hull (who play Everton) with a win. Starting to become apparent we should have gambled more for all three points. Story of our season![/quote]

I was quite warm about Adams, now I am freezing cold.

He got it so right for 75 minutes . He showed his limitations at the end though.

He ultimately failed and I, personally, do not put it down to just a lacking of experience. The whole of the Canary support, the pundits, the TV commentators and even the opposing manager could not comprehend NA''s total mis-grasp of the reality of the situation.

He seemed lost, out of his depth, and this state of mind transferred it''s self into his illogical post match interview on tv.

All roads lead to Malky.

[quote user="Ginja"]We just don''t get the luck either, Sunderland got that very dodgy penalty at Chelsea in the last 10, but we can''t one even if the player is fouled twice in the same second. Add the stonewall penalty and clear goal not given at Man Utd and the dodgy pen given against us, you can''t help but think we have had a bit of bad luck season at times.
[/quote]
And how many times did we hit the bloomin'' bar against West Brom!

[/quote]

Was it really a clear goal ? I thought the whistle had been blown before the "goal" was scored.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Ginja"]We just don''t get the luck either, Sunderland got that very dodgy penalty at Chelsea in the last 10, but we can''t one even if the player is fouled twice in the same second. Add the stonewall penalty and clear goal not given at Man Utd and the dodgy pen given against us, you can''t help but think we have had a bit of bad luck season at times.

[/quote]

West Ham at home, they battered Norwich for 45 mins but only scored once. Norwich got a fairly lucky pen in the 2nd half to swing the game around.

[/quote]
It was a penalty though, but if that''s the best example of our luckiness this season then I feel my point is made somewhat. [;)]

[quote user="Snoots"][quote user="Ginja"]We just don''t get the luck either, Sunderland got that very dodgy penalty at Chelsea in the last 10, but we can''t one even if the player is fouled twice in the same second. Add the stonewall penalty and clear goal not given at Man Utd and the dodgy pen given against us, you can''t help but think we have had a bit of bad luck season at times.
[/quote]

Was it really a clear goal ? I thought the whistle had been blown before the "goal" was scored.[/quote]
I see your point, but I''m just saying we were doing well and if even one of those decisions had gone in our favour we could have had a very different result IMO.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]If Bradley hadn''t hit the post, if RvW''s header went in… There''s so many fine lines that we''ve been the wrong side of. Not aggressively going at chelsea certainly wasn''t one, that was a success getting a draw away, we would''ve been butchered if we pushed against them. A draw could''ve been enough, as it stands Sunderland simply played a blinder which we could never compete with in this kind of final run-in.[/quote]

Agreed,   it seems alost every third game since Hull away was a missed opportunity for a point here or there - Bradleys shot wide at craven cottage,  the dire performance against West Brom at home.  

I also agree that a point at chelsea was a great effort, but I dont agree it was ever enough - it was a win only game and while keeping it tight for 80 mins was right,  we needed a soupcon more attacking commitment  at the end of the game.    That was NOT the reason we got relegated - but it was another poor tactical choice.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="Snoots"][quote user="Ginja"]We just don''t get the luck either, Sunderland got that very dodgy penalty at Chelsea in the last 10, but we can''t one even if the player is fouled twice in the same second. Add the stonewall penalty and clear goal not given at Man Utd and the dodgy pen given against us, you can''t help but think we have had a bit of bad luck season at times.
[/quote]

Was it really a clear goal ? I thought the whistle had been blown before the "goal" was scored.[/quote]
I see your point, but I''m just saying we were doing well and if even one of those decisions had gone in our favour we could have had a very different result IMO.
[/quote]

I can''t argue with that. Of course, in truth we blew our chances a long time before but there isn''t any doubt that we have been blighted by bad luck recently. Playing Man Utd when we did and then when the spotlight has gone, Sunderland going there and getting a win. The unsynchronised timing of these last few crucial games, WBA gaining safety just before the Sunderland game and so on. However, it all tracks back to indecision on the part of the Board and it was that the f__________d us in the end.

I''d say we didn''t deserve to draw 0-0 with cardiff at home. We battered them and deserved all 3 points. I would also suggest that we deserved a 2-2 draw at cardiff for our second half bombardment of their goal.

I thought we played well enough to beat stoke at home as well.

Most of our other results this season have been entirely deserved. yes, even ''that one'' at the Ethiad.

Robin Sainty a representative apparently of the Norwich Supporters Trust (Never heard of them) interviewed today on SSN said a more experienced manager would have gone for it in last 15 minutes. So is he saying if Chris Hughton was in charge an experienced manager he would have gone for it?

I think not would have required a 180 degree change in football philosophy.

The way we played at Chelsea was perfect for 80 minutes.  The last 10 we had no option other than to go for it in my mind, but the changes never happened.

[quote user="pete"]Robin Sainty a representative apparently of the Norwich Supporters Trust (Never heard of them) interviewed today on SSN said a more experienced manager would have gone for it in last 15 minutes. So is he saying if Chris Hughton was in charge an experienced manager he would have gone for it?

I think not would have required a 180 degree change in football philosophy.[/quote]

Funny you say that, in fairnedd, Hughton went for it earlier on this season and we got punished.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]If Bradley hadn''t hit the post, if RvW''s header went in… There''s so many fine lines that we''ve been the wrong side of. Not aggressively going at chelsea certainly wasn''t one, that was a success getting a draw away, we would''ve been butchered if we pushed against them. A draw could''ve been enough, as it stands Sunderland simply played a blinder which we could never compete with in this kind of final run-in.[/quote]

Agreed,   it seems alost every third game since Hull away was a missed opportunity for a point here or there - Bradleys shot wide at craven cottage,  the dire performance against West Brom at home.  

I also agree that a point at chelsea was a great effort, but I dont agree it was ever enough - it was a win only game and while keeping it tight for 80 mins was right,  we needed a soupcon more attacking commitment  at the end of the game.    That was NOT the reason we got relegated - but it was another poor tactical choice.

[/quote]

I fully understand where you are coming from, but had NA thrown on Hooper, RvW or both and weakened our defence and we suddenly leaked a couple of goals which, personally, I could have seen happening, then NA would have been berated for his lack of experience. The expression "Damned if I do and damned" if I don''t comes to mind ! It still p__ss_s me off when I remember Hooper''s stupid sideways pass and Marshall''s heroics and acrobatics at Cardiff. If only ........... !

In the same way that newspapers etc only like to report bad news, we football supporters only thend to remember games whee we''ve been unlucky, not had the rub of the green, been on the end of dodgy refereeing decisions, denied a stonewall penalty, and the like. Rarely is it mentioned about the poor displays, calamitous defending, tactical naiveté, wasteful finishing etc. and there has been loads of that this season. Apart from the ''penalty'' and Snodder''s shot did we ever seriously threaten Schwarzer ?

With regard to the Chelsea game, I think Adams ''did'' go for it by bringing on redmond. That was his move, and if snodgrass had taken his chance then we would all be applauding his tactical genius. fine margins!

[quote user="pete"]Robin Sainty a representative apparently of the Norwich Supporters Trust (Never heard of them) interviewed today on SSN said a more experienced manager would have gone for it in last 15 minutes. So is he saying if Chris Hughton was in charge an experienced manager he would have gone for it?

I think not would have required a 180 degree change in football philosophy.[/quote]

Ah, well there you have it. If Robin Sainty said that why am I arguing against ! I don''t know who the NST is either but I''m a member of the newly formed ION... Group , an acronym for If Only Neil (or Norwich) ...

If we had "gone for it" against Chelsea I don''t believe we would have created any more chances than we did but we''d certainly have given them more chances to score - as we did under Hughton against them at Carrow Road.

So "going for it" would actually have made it less likely that we would have got the win.  It would have played into Mourinho''s hands.  It''s a naive idea.

We had a couple of good chances to score in the last few minutes.  That''s all you''re likely to get at Chelsea.

Mourinho said he was waiting for us to attack, it would have played into his hands. Think of it from Adams point of view, he wants the job permanently and he was never gonna get it with a 100% loss record.

So if we "had gone for it" and brought one or two strikers, then been hit on the counter, we would have been relegated that day instead of yesterday.
However negative it may have seemed, it left us a small chance of avoiding relegation.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Mourinho said he was waiting for us to attack, it would have played into his hands. Think of it from Adams point of view, he wants the job permanently and he was never gonna get it with a 100% loss record.
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that Adams put his own interests ahead of those of the Club?

Adams out!

It''s Character Forming wrote:

"If we had "gone for it" against Chelsea I don''t believe we would have created any more chances than we did but we''d certainly have given them more chances to score - as we did under Hughton against them at Carrow Road.

So "going for it" would actually have made it less likely that we would have got the win.  It would have played into Mourinho''s hands.  It''s a naive idea.

We had a couple of good chances to score in the last few minutes.  That''s all you''re likely to get at Chelsea."

Dur. Dur and Dur again.

A draw meant relegation. Get it!

Besides we are only talking about the last fifteen. It was spot on until Adams went into a trance and lost the plot.

I must totally agree.

We were relegated at a whimper.

The situation was clear before a ball was kicked. To not try to get a win was criminal. Had we lost we would be in the same situation as we are now.

we dropped 24 points against the other 6 teams currently at the foot of the table, disastrous.